Please help decide my fate. Moving from CA to NV or TX & cGPA vs sGPA weight.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AtrociousGrades

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Long story short, I'm a late 30s CA resident and have pulled myself out of the depths of GPA hell as best I can, having gone from a from a 2.5c/2.4s gpa to a 3.15c/3.65s gpa over a 115 semester unit postbacc with a 3.9x.

My wife is now pregnant and we realized that even if I somehow got an acceptance in CA, there's only 1-2 schools that are in areas we'd actually want to live due to the absolutely obscene cost of living. That fact combined with the overwhelming possibility we'd be moving out of state for school anyway has lead us to realize that there is little reason to stay in CA, so we may as well move elsewhere in order to bolster my chances of staying in state in the areas that would be most conducive to being able to raise a family.

I am thinking of Nevada or Texas, and wherever we land is where we plan to set down roots and raise our family.

Nevada: I like the desert, I've been to Las Vegas before and I think we would be happy there. It looks like there's 2 MD schools and 1 DO school in state, with the possibility of a third MD school coming online. I know the state is in dire need of healthcare workers and I like the idea of being somewhere that I would be badly needed. Tuition ~120k if accepted in state. Still more likely than not to get acceptance out of state, but at least we get chance to stay there. I know this sound stupid, but in my heart I feel like I "belong" in the west. I'm 90% sure my wife would be happier here, but she thinks she'd be happy in either state. Much easier move, much easier for her family to visit and vice versa.

Texas: I'd be eligible for academic fresh start and get to apply to the insular system with what I calculated to be a 3.93c/3.92s gpa. Tuition is only ~80k if accepted in state. Many more schools in Texas, as far as I know I'd be happy with any of them, having looked at the various cities. Texas obviously looks to be in a bit of a mess at the moment, but that doesn't bother me too much as there's fires and other concerns here too. I'm more concerned about the social atmosphere for CA transplants, doubly concerned about super conservative attitudes toward the two of us. Slightly worried about the seemingly terrible governance with regard to COVID and other disasters.

Other things of note:

1. I'm a URM from a SES disadvantaged background, for whatever that is worth in consideration.

2. No MCAT yet, I delayed as once COVID started I wasn't able to finish the appropriate ECs I'd need to apply anyhow. I am 100% confident in my ability to get a 90th%+ score and I will do whatever it takes to make that a reality. I have strong volunteering hours, and will have my other ECs done to a reasonable strength by application.

3. I'm 100% sure I will do a residency that is 3-4 years, too old for others even if I loved their fields. I also have no objection to DO on the basis of prestige, mainly would prefer MD if for the sake of not limiting residency choices and seemingly lower average tution.

And a questions of my own:

1. How is cGPA compared to sGPA? Will the fact that I have a reasonable sGPA help mitigate my overall low cGPA? All of my bad grades are over a decade old at this point, and I have extensive personal essays to discuss why that happened and how that period of time brought me to medicine in conjunction with putting myself through postbacc purgatory to fix things to the extent that reasonable math will allow.

After writing all of this down, it comes down to this: I think NV or the multitude of schools I could perhaps pull an acceptance from OOS are probably better fits for my wife and child - I am just less likely to get into them, and they are between 40k and 160k more expensive. Texas offers me a clean slate, which is immensely appealing, but it seems like it might be a worse fit for them. I will say tuition is not my absolute priority, their happiness is, but it is a facet.

So I guess what I'm asking is, would I be an absolute fool to choose NV over TX? I have a very hard time throwing in the towel and counting myself out for anything, so my inclination is to go to NV and just make it happen, whatever it takes. I am usually really decisive about stuff like this, but we are struggling with the decision so I appreciate any input or advice.

If you took the time to read all of this, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like you’re getting ahead of yourself. I would apply broadly and choose based on schools that accept you.

I know your top choices are nv, tx, and ca. But what’s the point of stressing over which location to pick when you might not even get accepted to any school in those states?

My apologies if I was not sufficiently clear. I do not want to stay in CA, and I am trying to decide which state to move to that may give me the highest chance of staying in that state. Wherever I go, I will apply widely and attend wherever I am accepted, this is simply an optimization step along the way that makes sense in the meantime between then and now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t know the advice I could offer for Nevada vs Texas but look into VA HPSP and the NHSC, in case you haven’t. There’s also the military’s HPSP, Navy HSCP and USUHS. I’m thinking about support for the family, in case that is also a concern. The VA is actively trying to recruit more minorities as physicians.

When are you taking the MCAT? Good luck this cycle and excited for you and the new addition.

You have sufficiently demonstrated that you aren’t the student that you were a decade ago. However, for someone to realize that they actually have to set eyes on your application which is where minimum cutoffs come into play. Your cGPA and sGPA are low for MD programs even with the excellent postbac. This is simply reflective of the deficit one can incur earlier in life. I’m not sure what the GPA cutoff is in programs in either state but applying as a 3.1 applicant vs a 3.9 is huge. Personally I would go with the fresh start program or plan on applying broadly to MD and Many DO programs in the areas you identify as being best for your family. The risk that your application is rejected by auto screen is real and personally I would do whatever it took to minimize that risk.

You
Texas: I'd be eligible for academic fresh start and get to apply to the insular system with what I calculated to be a 3.93c/3.92s gpa. Tuition is only ~80k if accepted in state. Many more schools in Texas, as far as I know I'd be happy with any of them, having looked at the various cities. Texas obviously looks to be in a bit of a mess at the moment, but that doesn't bother me too much as there's fires and other concerns here too. I'm more concerned about the social atmosphere for CA transplants, doubly concerned about super conservative attitudes toward the two of us. Slightly worried about the seemingly terrible governance with regard to COVID and other disasters.
Stay out of Texas. Your negative and highly ill informed biased view of Texas would make all involved miserable. I am not sure "Obviously looks to be in a bit of a mess" means. We have a blackout during a once in a generation freeze and everyone freaks out looking at the biased news. We have blackouts for a few dys and your worried when Cali has rolling blackouts for years.... very odd take.

"concerned about super conservative attitudes" - Please don't come to Texas. We get enough Ca transplants daily.

"worried about the seemingly terrible governance" - There is no worse governance than Cali. one of the highest taxes yet have yearly rolling blackouts, wildfires, Homeless disaster. Also, Check out how they are handling covid - not really spectacular. Wonder why they want to recall such an exceptional governor.

You

Stay out of Texas. Your negative and highly ill informed biased view of Texas would make all involved miserable. I am not sure "Obviously looks to be in a bit of a mess" means. We have a blackout during a once in a generation freeze and everyone freaks out looking at the biased news. We have blackouts for a few dys and your worried when Cali has rolling blackouts for years.... very odd take.

"concerned about super conservative attitudes" - Please don't come to Texas. We get enough Ca transplants daily.

"worried about the seemingly terrible governance" - There is no worse governance than Cali. one of the highest taxes yet have yearly rolling blackouts, wildfires, Homeless disaster. Also, Check out how they are handling covid - not really spectacular. Wonder why they want to recall such an exceptional governor.

Can I shadow you when I come to TX? Thanks.

Reactions: 1 user
Can I shadow you when I come to TX? Thanks.
Sure, I think with those grade you should just go straight to Caribbean.

Core GPA of 3.1 then to state confidently " I am 100% confident in my ability to get a 90th%+ score and I will do whatever it takes to make that a reality"

I must have missed that but can't stop laughing.

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
I don’t know the advice I could offer for Nevada vs Texas but look into VA HPSP and the NHSC, in case you haven’t. There’s also the military’s HPSP, Navy HSCP and USUHS. I’m thinking about support for the family, in case that is also a concern. The VA is actively trying to recruit more minorities as physicians.

When are you taking the MCAT? Good luck this cycle and excited for you and the new addition.

Thanks for these, we are actually financially secure so I am not in need of either of these - though I think they are good options and I appreciate you mentioning them.

Planning to take MCAT at end of this year, but few things still up in the air.

You have sufficiently demonstrated that you aren’t the student that you were a decade ago. However, for someone to realize that they actually have to set eyes on your application which is where minimum cutoffs come into play. Your cGPA and sGPA are low for MD programs even with the excellent postbac. This is simply reflective of the deficit one can incur earlier in life. I’m not sure what the GPA cutoff is in programs in either state but applying as a 3.1 applicant vs a 3.9 is huge. Personally I would go with the fresh start program or plan on applying broadly to MD and Many DO programs in the areas you identify as being best for your family. The risk that your application is rejected by auto screen is real and personally I would do whatever it took to minimize that risk.

I thought the hard cutoffs were largely 3.0, but that was a while ago having asked previously. I am going to do some scout work specifically for all of the potential schools that I'd apply. Thanks!

Sure, I think with those grade you should just go straight to Caribbean.

Core GPA of 3.1 then to state confidently " I am 100% confident in my ability to get a 90th%+ score and I will do whatever it takes to make that a reality"

I must have missed that but can't stop laughing.
You seem pretty uptight, so I'm glad I could give you a laugh. I've been told laughter is the best medicine, but what do I know, I'm not a doctor yet.

You do bring up a good point though, that cGPA is pretty terrible and there's naught I can do about it now, having completed so many classes already. Thankfully the GREAT STATE OF TEXAS offers me the opportunity to expunge my old grades and start over fresh there with a 3.93. Seems like it's the best option for me, and I appreciate you helping me realize that.

Look forward to being in the lone star state with you soon....neighbor. 🤠

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for these, we are actually financially secure so I am not in need of either of these - though I think they are good options and I appreciate you mentioning them.

Planning to take MCAT at end of this year, but few things still up in the air.

I thought the hard cutoffs were largely 3.0, but that was a while ago having asked previously. I am going to do some scout work specifically for all of the potential schools that I'd apply. Thanks!
The 3.0 cutoff is commonly for DO programs. For MD programs the cutoff tends to be higher, more so for competitive states. My program has a min of 3.5.

You seem pretty uptight, so I'm glad I could give you a laugh. I've been told laughter is the best medicine, but what do I know, I'm not a doctor yet.

You do bring up a good point though, that cGPA is pretty terrible and there's naught I can do about it now, having completed so many classes already. Thankfully the GREAT STATE OF TEXAS offers me the opportunity to expunge my old grades and start over fresh there with a 3.93. Seems like it's the best option for me, and I appreciate you helping me realize that.

Look forward to being in the lone star state with you soon....neighbor. 🤠
Yes, Please give yearly updates. Need laughter in life.

Uptight I am not, just pointing out that someone with similar numbers should not be as arrogant to believe that they can snag a top 90% Mcat and have to lower their standards to go the a state that they feel superior to.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
Well, my wife had a follow up ultrasound and it turns out our pregnancy is not viable. I wrongly assumed we were mostly out of the woods given how far along she was but that was not the case and she has miscarried, so none of this stuff matters on the timeframe I thought it did. Appreciate those who gave advice my way, going to have time to think on things now.

The 3.0 cutoff is commonly for DO programs. For MD programs the cutoff tends to be higher, more so for competitive states. My program has a min of 3.5.
Thanks for this, it's been a while since I have been here and I will be sure to do proper due diligence on every school I apply to in order to make sure I am not filtered.

Even if you're able to legally establish texas residency in one year - TMDSAS schools might not be as kind and generally prefer people with more significant roots (4+ years) of working/living/studying in Texas. Otherwise, everyone would just move there for a year and apply to texas schools to save $300k.

Also, OOS schools will not look at your app and assume a TMDSAS school will accept you.

I think Nevada is the safer route for you. As URM you'll have many more doors open. A friend of mine with 2.9/501 was accepted to two MD OOS schools with only 14 credits of upward trend (3.7). It's easy to say you'll get 90% MCAT but don't count your eggs before they hatch. Assume you'll get a 500 based on your post-bacc GPA (you understand the science) and anything above that will speak to your reasoning skills. IMO you can probably snag an acceptance to an OOS school even as a Cali resident.

All fair points, if we were to move, we were going to set down there to work, have a kid, buy a house, etc - so if it took a couple years and a reapp that would be fine with me. I'll consider all of this going forward, appreciate the input.

Yes, Please give yearly updates. Need laughter in life.

Uptight I am not, just pointing out that someone with similar numbers should not be as arrogant to believe that they can snag a top 90% Mcat and have to lower their standards to go the a state that they feel superior to.

You know, I thought you honestly just had an axe to grind with CA transplants so I was being dismissive because I didn't want to engage in a state vs state argument. I can see how I come across as arrogant or prejudiced from what I wrote and explicitly what you quoted, so I apologize for generalizing and for the imprecision of my questions.

I felt you were taking the worst interpretation of what I was saying, but it's on me to be as precise as possible with my language and I can see how it would be annoying given what Texas is going through right now, having reread it again. I don't feel superior to any state, I'm not even a native Californian, having lived in 5 other states and enjoyed aspects of all of them.

I have no issues with anyone of any political affiliation, I just grew up in a very, very conservative area and have my own baggage from physical and verbal racial abuse that I experienced during that time - but that is my bias and I shouldn't project it on anywhere that is predominantly conservative. As far as "terrible governance", I was worried about the mask mandate being lifted and having to take my unvaccinated wife to increasingly frequent OBGYN appointments, so I let my worry get the better part of my rationality.

As far as the MCAT or any other exam, I choose to believe that my performance is simply a function of my study habits and work ethic as that allows me to always focus on what I could have done better versus blaming external factors if things don't go my way. I can see how that comes across as delusional, but to me it's simply a statement that I'm willing to work as hard as it takes and that my success or failure is in my own hands - a change in attitude I drastically needed from when I was younger.

Anyway, meant no ill will and I hope you'll accept my apology for how I came across initially, as it does not accurately convey what I hold in my heart.

Take care.