Please help! Didn't match, scramble unsuccessful!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mnms

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

First of all a graduate degree from an Ivy school means nothing more to most people than a standard graduate degree. Only those from Ivy-league schools care about their Ivy-league degrees and try to ride on them.

I thought there were a bunch of open psych positions? Did all of these fill during scramble? I'm sure you can find something out there.

Good luck!

I would definitely ask my dean too for some advice. I'm sure they have lots of experience on what to do in the event you don't match.

Off the top of my head, I would suggest research for a year and then reapplying to these programs again next year! But be sure to ask your dean for all your options first!

another option: do an MPH program in a year...it's tough to squeeze it in and will give you another 30,000 + in loans, but if you aren't satisfied with any of your scramble options and you don't want to do research for a year, it might suit you. i had a bad match experience last year (due to couples match complication) and that's what i decided to do. i alread had a huge interesti n public health and was planning on getting my mph following residency, but i just changed the order of things....it has been a great year and a wonderful change in educational philosophy from medical school. i matched this year no problem. good luck

If I was in your position I would go straight to my dean for advice. There is also a website where programs posts positions and applicants post CVs during the year. It's like a residency dating service, and I'm sure some programs will have spots during the year. I saw the link for that site posted here on SDN somewhere within the last 2 weeks.

Is this for real? How can anyone actually be this dumb? Went on 9 interviews but only ranked 3. What you were saying there is that you'd rather go unmatched than go to any of those 6 programs. Do you feel differently now? Especially seeing that you have some major crapola and a few red flags on your resume, what on earth made you think you could disregard every bit of conventional wisdom about the match and do something so reckless?

This thread should be made a sticky as warning to any future applicants not to rank only a couple of elite programs. I thought at this stage EVERYONE had got that memo.

dinosaurcrumpet said:
Is this for real? How can anyone actually be this dumb? Went on 9 interviews but only ranked 3. What you were saying there is that you'd rather go unmatched than go to any of those 6 programs. Do you feel differently now? Especially seeing that you have some major crapola and a few red flags on your resume, what on earth made you think you could disregard every bit of conventional wisdom about the match and do something so reckless?

This thread should be made a sticky as warning to any future applicants not to rank only a couple of elite programs. I thought at this stage EVERYONE had got that memo.

You really are being very rude. I only ranked 3 competitive programs and I matched. I am sure mnms feels bad enough...no need to make him/her feel worse.

Mnms, I would consider doing research for a year and reapplying next year or do something else for a year. I wouldn't switch fields altogether though. Good luck.

Sorry about the match...I agree with the above post...do some research, then reapply. I don't think bad board scores really stopped you from matching...it was probably more a combination of ranking too few programs and, of coarse, the suspension & academic dishonesty thing. No way to get rid of that now...just work hard this next year and reapply...whatever you do, DO NOT change fields just because you are discouraged...you will get what you want eventually...it has happened before, it will happen again.

Best of luck!

mnms said:
Hi everyone,

I am really depressed because of the match. I made a terrible error in only ranking 3 spots (all competitive) in the match for psychiatry this year - royally screwed up. I had really specific interests in psychiatry - research in competency assessments and wanted to only go to very specific programs. Match day came and I found out that I didn't match into either of the three despite being told by PDs that i'd be competitive (I know I shouldn't have listened to them). My strategy was (at the time) that if I didn't match I would be able to scramble into a great psych program (as has been the experience of others from years past). Well, the scramble was dry, I almost got an offer from a program that would've been even more perfect for me than the other ones, but I ended up being second and the first guy accepted. The scramble was really was terrible, many programs used ERAS and I didn't get a call back.

A little about myself: US grad from decent school in california, low board scores but passed on first attempt, low class rank (just a bad test taker) but what I thought would shine was my grad degree from ivy, 2 papers in major journals, and a letter from the best known geri psychiatrist in the country!!! Unfortunately, though there was one black mark which was a suspension for one year from school d/t an act of academic dishonesty. I was told by many PDs, after being totally honest with them that this would count very little to their decision making. Had 12 interview invites, went on 9, ranked 3 :(

Now I am in limbo without a place to go in July. My strategy is to contact all the PDs where I interviewed and send them my CV again and ask them to please keep me in mind should a vacancy be available during the course of the year. I'm a survivor and I know I'll get throgh this but I would really like to go somewhere this July or later this year.

My question to u all is what I should do and

1. what are my chances of something opening up in psych before July1 or after. I was told by a program coordinator at the school that I missed scrambling into that at least 1 spot opens up/year.

2. What should I do in the interim? Should I wait for psych (my calling) or should I try applying for a FP spot. Transitional years and prelim med are all gone. my whole application is psych.

3. What would you say to PDs in my email to them.

This is a great supportive board, I hope you all feel my pain. I screwed up by not playing the game. Any help and constuctive criticism would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

Hi there,
Have you considered doing a research year (NIH) and then going back into the Match next year? You could likely get some good work done and make yourself more competitive for next year. You would also be in a position to get some good letters of recommendation.

I would not take a Family Medicine position unless you want to do Family Medicine. You would actually be better taking a pre-lim surgery position and then reapplying as opposed to taking a three-year slot and trying to get out after one year(really POs the program director). I am sure that there are some pre-lim surgery slots left out there.

njbmd :)

mnms said:
Unfortunately, though there was one black mark which was a suspension for one year from school d/t an act of academic dishonesty. I was told by many PDs, after being totally honest with them that this would count very little to their decision making.

I find this hard to believe. A one year suspension because of academic dishonesty is HUGE. Whoever told you that it wasn't a factor was misleading you, I'm afraid.

I'm sorry for your troubles, but you have pretty much brought these issues on yourself. Not that you can't overcome past mistakes, but you really shouldn't expect smooth sailing with that kind of record. If I was a PD, I would be extremely cautious about accepting anyone with a record of dishonesty into my program. Doctors aren't saints, but they should above all be honest.

A year off doing research and some soul searching might be a good idea.

dinosaurcrumpet said:

Wow. Talk about needlessly inflicting more pain on somebody who's already hurting. Are you a dentist?

dinosaurcrumpet said:

dude, u are a f*cking *sshole. u must be a unempathic surgeon, right? i pity your patients.

prominence said:
dude, u are a f*cking *sshole. u must be a unempathic surgeon, right? i pity your patients.

hey thanks all you guys for your helpful thoughts. yes, i'm not perfect, and i'm willing to bet that most of you on this board have skeletons as well. in my case though, i'm perfectly exposed and i've been honest with everyone. i think my PDs valued that. honesty is disarming. i have more to offer because of my issues that i would have otherwise...seems strange but i believe that.

at any rate, i've made my bed and i'm forced to sleep in it. the question is how best to do it. i've considered research...and that's where i think i will go. but others have told me to stay close to clinical medicine to keep my skills sharp. what do you guys think of that?

you guys are really helpful...most of you. for the others, your patients and your colleagues are going to come from all walks of life with all types of experiences some worse than me. is this how you would treat them? to err human to forgive...well, let's see if you'd cast the first stone.

I think the problem is that you have a couple of skeletons -- the suspension and the low board score. It seems to me that PD's are willing to overlook one hiccup (I have a classmate who did not pass one of the main core clinical rotations due to "academic dishonesty" but still matched at a top program in a fairly competitive field), but if they see a trend it becomes problematic. Mainly, they start to wonder "is this a problem child?"

Have you met with the PD at your home institution? What did they say? Usually they will be the most honest with you about your chances in the future, how to handle weaknesses in your application, and in light of your situation, if it is best to take another year off or if you should just do a prelim med or surgery year.

Second, I would email the PDs at the programs you didn't match to. Express that you are disappointed at how things turned out this year, but that you are determined to match into psych next year. Then ask them if they would be willing to offer any advice that would help you improve your application for next year. Hopefully they will give you some honest advice and recommendations, and might even give you a clue to where you were ranked which will help you evaluate how competitive a candidate you truly are.

Finally, I think that even though psych isn't the most competitive field in the world, with your application you may not be in a position to cherry-pick the programs that you wish to attend. You may have to seriously consider programs that you find less appealing for whatever reasons, when you reapply. I think that's a sobering thought for all of us -- how much do I want to practice specialty X? Enough to spend 4 years in a location/program I am less than thrilled with, or that I find sub-optimal in some way? Even if you have to compromise on your choice of residency, there is a light at the end of the tunnel -- if you match at a place where you can receive good training, you can likely move wherever you want/need to four years later.

Good luck.

prominence said:

Maybe he wasn't being that diplomatic, but I think a lot of us had the same reaction. It's insane to hear somebody complain about not matching after:

1. only ranking 3 competitive programs after going on 9 interviews
2. having low board scores
3. having low grades
4. having a year long suspension for academic dishonesty

Come on, EVERYBODY tells you not to put too much weight on the words of PD's who say you're competitive for their program. EVERYBODY tells you to rank a good list of programs, especially when your application isn't perfect.

So to the OP: I'm sorry about what happened. No doubt you'll be able to do some research and match somewhere next year. However, you sort of need a reality check. Don't be so arrogant in the future! Rank a lot of programs, not just a few tier one's.

Reactions: 1 user
That is true.

Your dean should have said something too seeing as your application had a couple of red flags in it.

If I were a dean handling this student, I would definitely advise him/her to apply to as many as possible. While psych isn't the most competitive field, you definitely have to treat it as one if you are trying to atone for some past mistakes.

Find some psych research at the NIH.

dinosaurcrumpet said:

Shame on you dino, although I do agree with the 'sticky warning' comment. And shame on your advisor, dean or anyone else who saw your application MNMS. Suspension for academic dishonesty is HUGE to PDs and your advisor should have told you such. I've had academic difficulties too and was considering listing 3 programs in Family Practice. Not as competative I know but I considered whether I wanted to be assured a spot in the match or to role the dice in the scramble. A week before the match I thought better of myself and ranked a total of 7. I got my second choice but in those weeks between the rank and the match i slept a lot better knowing I did everything I could to increase my chances of getting a spot. As for what I did with my year off: volunteered with my local EMS/Fire department and got involved with a research project at my school. I would suggest that you find someone doing research in your area of intrest and sign on as a pee-on. At least you'll have your name on another project. But before you do that talk to your dean and see what your options are. I would also seek out any advisors and provide them with a sound kick to the shin :smuggrin: (<---joke!)

mnms said:
in my case though, i'm perfectly exposed and i've been honest with everyone. i think my PDs valued that. honesty is disarming.

You've been honest about your academic dishonesty. Well, that's a start I suppose. But apparently the PDs didn't value it enough to rank you, unfortunately. Let's not sugar coat the situation. There really is not a silver lining to cheating or the damage it does to your career. People need to understand this and never, ever be tempted.

I have said this before and been attacked for it, but I don't think it's at all right that people who cheat in medical school get the privilege of continuing and becoming doctors. Sure, cheat your way through law school or business school, but once you are dealing with human lives and once we say it's okay to pretend to know stuff that you don't really know and still get to be a doc, the profession is tarnished and we all suffer, but most of all the patients suffer.

If your story's legit (somehow I'm still a little dubious), you'll probably find something here in the next few months:

https://services.aamc.org/findaresident/

Get set up with them RIGHT AWAY, and be willing to lower your expectations if necessary. A year off - especially since you've already "taken" a year off - is almost for sure not the best option for you...even if you're on a research project with Sir William Osler, Hippocrates and C. Everett Koop.

I'll bite - what is academic dishonesty? Cheating? or something else?

ETA: Dinosaur you're a tool :eek:

sophiejane said:
You've been honest about your academic dishonesty. Well, that's a start I suppose. But apparently the PDs didn't value it enough to rank you, unfortunately. Let's not sugar coat the situation. There really is not a silver lining to cheating or the damage it does to your career. People need to understand this and never, ever be tempted.

I have said this before and been attacked for it, but I don't think it's at all right that people who cheat in medical school get the privilege of continuing and becoming doctors. Sure, cheat your way through law school or business school, but once you are dealing with human lives and once we say it's okay to pretend to know stuff that you don't really know and still get to be a doc, the profession is tarnished and we all suffer, but most of all the patients suffer.

Isn't that a little harsh?...we're only human and everyone makes a mistake now and then in their lives. I don't know much about the OP, but maybe he just made this one mistake and is sincerely sorry for it and has learned from it. For all we know, he's a better and more mature person now for having committed this act and serving his punishment.

I totally see what you're saying...but I'd like to believe that everyone's worth a second chance. I hope he makes better use of it this time around.

To the OP: Good luck to you...although your own doing in every way, I feel sorry for you and hope everything works out. To reiterate what everyone is saying...don't be so picky...swallow your remaining pride and be willing to take a psych proram that isn't the cream of the crop. It's not just where you train, a lot of your success depends on how well you apply yourself, wherever you are.

Keep applying. If necessary, apply to a different field, such as family practice. Be flexible. Be willing to go to a different region. Foreign graduates (IMG) can get spots and have to go through hurdles so you can, too.

mnms said:
Hi everyone,

I am really depressed because of the match. I made a terrible error in only ranking 3 spots (all competitive) in the match for psychiatry this year - royally screwed up. I had really specific interests in psychiatry - research in competency assessments and wanted to only go to very specific programs. Match day came and I found out that I didn't match into either of the three despite being told by PDs that i'd be competitive (I know I shouldn't have listened to them). My strategy was (at the time) that if I didn't match I would be able to scramble into a great psych program (as has been the experience of others from years past). Well, the scramble was dry, I almost got an offer from a program that would've been even more perfect for me than the other ones, but I ended up being second and the first guy accepted. The scramble was really was terrible, many programs used ERAS and I didn't get a call back.

A little about myself: US grad from decent school in california, low board scores but passed on first attempt, low class rank (just a bad test taker) but what I thought would shine was my grad degree from ivy, 2 papers in major journals, and a letter from the best known geri psychiatrist in the country!!! Unfortunately, though there was one black mark which was a suspension for one year from school d/t an act of academic dishonesty. I was told by many PDs, after being totally honest with them that this would count very little to their decision making. Had 12 interview invites, went on 9, ranked 3 :(

Now I am in limbo without a place to go in July. My strategy is to contact all the PDs where I interviewed and send them my CV again and ask them to please keep me in mind should a vacancy be available during the course of the year. I'm a survivor and I know I'll get throgh this but I would really like to go somewhere this July or later this year.

1. what are my chances of something opening up in psych before July1 or after. I was told by a program coordinator at the school that I missed scrambling into that at least 1 spot opens up/year.

2. What should I do in the interim? Should I wait for psych (my calling) or should I try applying for a FP spot. Transitional years and prelim med are all gone. my whole application is psych.

This is a great supportive board, I hope you all feel my pain. I screwed up by not playing the game. Any help and constuctive criticism would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

keep your chin up...don't give up...DON'T EVER GIVE UP! :thumbup:

think of it this way...when you finally reach your goal, it will be that much sweeter than if you sailed straight through...everybody fails in life no matter who you are...the difference is getting back up and putting forth all your energy to make sure that you learned from your failures and have become better because of them :D

OphthalmicPilot said:
Keep applying. If necessary, apply to a different field, such as family practice. Be flexible. Be willing to go to a different region. Foreign graduates (IMG) can get spots and have to go through hurdles so you can, too.

I don't think you should be encouraging people to go into family medicine as a backup. This person has a very clear idea of what they want to do. They will be a miserable and uninspired family doctor and their patients will suffer as well.

Just because there are unfilled spots in family doesn't mean they should be filled with people who didn't or couldn't get into other fields. It's a calling like any other field, not a dumping ground for people who don't get into their chosen specialty.

dinosaurcrumpet said:

Come on.. Totally rude. Yes, honesty is one of the very important qualities as a physician but no need for such language here. Everyone needs support and encouragement from time to time. I feel bad for the students, and residents who work with you (below you)....

Back to the original topic, I agree with most of the individuals here...Be optimistic...You got a MD degree. Research, another one year degree, hell...Do something for fun until a position opens up in Psychiatry. If you want to stay in Cali, keep search... I believe that persistent and perserverance are the way to go. Keep calling programs and you will get into a program that fits you. Don't change field because that's the most painful thing you will do if you have to go to work everyday for 10+ hours in a field that you don't like. I didn't look at the site that people suggested but there is got to be openings somewhere, maybe not where you want to be but can do something for a year than transfer to another program if something else opens up. You can do anything for one year after college and med school. Whatever you did in med school is in the past. You learned your lesson. Move forward and best of luck to you :)

mnms said:

I'm not a psychiatrist so I'm not sure how programs view this but at least in my experience academic integrity violations are a HUGE red flag. Honestly it's something that if not well explained to the point of basically I was unfairly sanctioned (and someone other than me corroborates this) would disqualify applicants from an interview at the program I trained at regardless of their board scores or grades. Of course you say you received interviews so perhaps it's less of an issue in psychiatry. (Or perhaps it was overlooked in the pre-interview selection and then became the reason you were not ranked highly (or not ranked?) ) I'd talk to your advisor/ dean and when you reapply consider including a letter from someone who can speak to both the violation, your personal growth, and speak positively about your character now. You may wish to consider reapplying at your medical school's program (if they have one) because they may be more willing to take a chance than another program not familiar with you school's approach to integrity violations.

RuralMedicine said:
I'm not a psychiatrist so I'm not sure how programs view this but at least in my experience academic integrity violations are a HUGE red flag. Honestly it's something that if not well explained to the point of basically I was unfairly sanctioned (and someone other than me corroborates this) would disqualify applicants from an interview at the program I trained at regardless of their board scores or grades. Of course you say you received interviews so perhaps it's less of an issue in psychiatry. (Or perhaps it was overlooked in the pre-interview selection and then became the reason you were not ranked highly (or not ranked?) ) I'd talk to your advisor/ dean and when you reapply consider including a letter from someone who can speak to both the violation, your personal growth, and speak positively about your character now. You may wish to consider reapplying at your medical school's program (if they have one) because they may be more willing to take a chance than another program not familiar with you school's approach to integrity violations.

thanks to all of your good advice on this thread. i'm happy to announce that a program with a vacancy has signed me for next year. now i'm on my way in every sense of the phrase. good luck to all. :love:

mnms said:
thanks to all of your good advice on this thread. i'm happy to announce that a program with a vacancy has signed me for next year. now i'm on my way in every sense of the phrase. good luck to all. :love:
That's great news!!! Congratulations. :)

mnms said:
Congratulations. I am very happy that it all worked out for you. Get a fresh start. Good luck!

Try not to cheat again or at least don't get caught!
mnms said:

mnms said:
Hi everyone,

Thanks everyone.

do a medicine prelim year to keep your knowledge current.

Just do it.

If you want to do psych, send emails to PDs around the country asking if they have open spots. Many programs don't fill, people drop out or change their minds, programs expand, whatever.

Be honest about the deficiencies in your application. Make sure the PD understands you learned from whatever mistake you made, and you're ready to move on.

The Match can be cruel sometimes. Speaking from personal experience and after having heard a lot of stories, it's often easier to get a job outside the match if you're geographically flexible. Send lots of emails to PDs (one of my friends sent 300 after he didn't match in Medicine. He ended up landing a spot at a place that wouldn't even interview him the first time around).

You'll find a residency if you're serious about it.

mnms said:

NMNS!

Congrats!!!

hey let me know what you do to get the psychiatry residency that you want. I am in a similar situation and I really want to enter a residency in psych this june. Did you find and open position by calling, emails or what? please let me know thanks Gracias

Wow. I'm really shocked to see all the comments about how rude it is to say he brought it upon himself. I find it very hard to believe that none of you had the same reaction when you first read it. It is very common knowledge that you should rank as many programs as possible, and all that good advice. This definitely needs to be stickied so other people don't make the same mistake.

BTW, a "I feel bad for your co-workers/patients" comment is a good indicator of a holier-than-thou attitude. Get over yourselves.

mysophobe said:
Wow. I'm really shocked to see all the comments about how rude it is to say he brought it upon himself.
Yeah, me too. I'm with dinosaurcrumpet on this. Let's not pretend that any of the things the OP did or failed to do were anything other than ridiculously foolish.

That said, while academic dishonesty's a black mark, he did his time, sucked up the yearlong suspension, and made it through in the end. Good for him.

mnms, glad to hear you got a spot. Good luck.

sophiejane said:
I don't think you should be encouraging people to go into family medicine as a backup. This person has a very clear idea of what they want to do. They will be a miserable and uninspired family doctor and their patients will suffer as well.

Just because there are unfilled spots in family doesn't mean they should be filled with people who didn't or couldn't get into other fields. It's a calling like any other field, not a dumping ground for people who don't get into their chosen specialty.

I agree totally with "sophiejane", but regardless of what you do this year make sure that you maintain your clinical skills and knowledge somehow. This will come up next year when you apply for your training license. You can volunteer at a free clinic or a attend a conference to get some CME perhaps.

edulover :cool: