Please Help! Dismissed at the end of MS4 Year-Due to Step 2 CK.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted1064976

I am urgently seeking any advice on being Dismissed from a US medical school for not taking the Step 2-CK exam on time, due to a mental health issue. I have fully documented support from doctors, explaining I was being treated for a significant health condition. My doctors expressed disagreement with the decision.

Furthermore, I completed every requirement to graduate from medical school besides the Step 2 CK satisfactorily.

There are also several administrators who expressed that they disagreed with the decision to dismiss me. They felt my documentation was logical.

Could this involve a violation of the ADA? Or be constituted as discrimination? I have a last chance to appeal the decision within a few days.

I would greatly appreciate any advice since my life/carrier is dependent on it.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
^ due to the risk of trolling, especially for heavy topics like these, the longer and more detailed your posts, the more seriously we take them

Reactions: 2 users
All of it. You provided no real info. Timelines, what was communicated and when.

I understand, I was trying to remain anonymous but I suppose that is difficult in this situation. Thanks anyway!

^ due to the risk of trolling, especially for heavy topics like these, the longer and more detailed your posts, the more seriously we take them

Haha yeah certainly not a warm and fuzzy place to share! Thank you for clarifying either way!

Consult a lawyer with experience in ADA. Please.

Reactions: 3 users
I am urgently seeking any advice on being Dismissed from a US medical school for not taking the Step 2-CK exam on time, due to a mental health issue. I have fully documented support from doctors, explaining I was being treated for a significant health condition. My doctors expressed disagreement with the decision.

Furthermore, I completed every requirement to graduate from medical school besides the Step 2 CK satisfactorily.

There are also several administrators who expressed that they disagreed with the decision to dismiss me. They felt my documentation was logical.

Could this involve a violation of the ADA? Or be constituted as discrimination? I have a last chance to appeal the decision within a few days.

I would greatly appreciate any advice since my life/carrier is dependent on it.

Thanks in advance!

Curious as to how you were dismissed at the end of your MS4 year? Does that mean you were dismissed around April or May of 2020 (graduating class of 2020) or are you part of the graduating class of 2021 and was just recently dismissed? What were the rules as outlined by your school with regards to when you need to take step 2 CK?

Yeah, something about your story doesn't add up. One would think that you either matched and would have had to take step 2 CK to start residency, or you might have arranged to extend your medical school by a year if you didn't match.

What it sounds like to me is that you failed to match, asked to extend your medical school by a year to re-apply, and were denied. Somewhere in there you didn't take step 2 CK, possibly related to a number of factors including your mental health, thinking you would have another year, and/or COVID. Obviously I'm making a number of assumptions, but that's what makes the most sense to me based on the story you've provided.

If that's the case, that's really brutal. My only thought is that if you failed to match, and they refused to allow you to extend your training, then this might have been a "last straw" kind of situation and you were already in hot water with the school. All of this to say, nobody here can tell you if you have an ADA case, because all of the details that you can't provide are incredibly important. So get a lawyer, like yesterday.

I'm going to close this thread, because you're specifically asking about whether you can build a case around the ADA or other evidence that you're being discriminated against. And legal advice is outside of the bounds of SDN.

• Love
  • Inappropriate
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.