PLEASE help. DO school chances.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bshoni22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
25R (7ps, 11v, 7bs); cGPA: 3.78; sGPA: 3.98
VCOM, NOVA, Western and others. Do I stand a chance? Should I retake MCAT Sep 1 even though I'm behind the curve already being a non-trad who has not taken Biochem or Genetics?

I know this is a boring post but some truth/insight be it good or bad will go a long way to help.

Thank you so much.
SB

Members don't see this ad.

25R (7ps, 11v, 7bs); cGPA: 3.78; sGPA: 3.98
VCOM, NOVA, Western and others. Do I stand a chance? Should I retake MCAT Sep 1 even though I'm behind the curve already being a non-trad who has not taken Biochem or Genetics?

I know this is a boring post but some truth/insight be it good or bad will go a long way to help.

Thank you so much.
SB

I personally think you study hard for a while and raise those science scores. Your verbal and GPA are great, so it's not like you're not intellectually capable...Yeah, you can definitely get into any of those DO schools with those scores....

Members don't see this ad :)
Your GPA rocks but your MCAT is on the low side. Your GPA could compensate for the lower MCAT score but you might get screened out with your 7's in ps and bs. As far as retaking the MCAT, do you think you can pull up your score substantially by Sept. 1st? If not, I wouldn’t try to retake it so soon.
Are you planning on taking Biochemistry or Genetics? When I did a tour of Western U, the admissions advisor put a lot of emphasis on completing the recommended pre-reqs (Biochem specifically) when she went over my file. That said, the schools are going to look at the whole picture. How are your extracurricular activities? Have you shadowed a DO? All of these things will factor into the adcoms decision.

Thank you all SO MUCH for responding. Wilg0013 if by "substantially" you mean more than 1-2 points then no I don't think that's something too likely without a large supply of the drug from Limitless. I studied as hard as I possibly could for as long as I possibly could and never broke 28 (29 once but that was on an older, easier test) Still I think a point or two improvement is possible if only because I'm a bit less stressed now than I was then. I'm definitely planning on taking Biochem, genetics, and maybe Immunology preferably as audited classes (unless you have any reason I should not) before matriculation in 2012 to X med school.

My EC's are what I'm counting on: I'm a 29yo non-trad. Lit major; Fulbright Fellow in S.Korea ( less prestigious than Rhodes but supposedly still pretty good, hasn't paid off yet... ); have hundreds of hours of clinical volunteering in S.Korea, Israel, and Florida- rural, urban, poor, peds, ER, mobile…; I'm a therapy dog handler; I've shadowed 3 doctors; volunteered at free clinics, homeless shelters; was an EMT and assistant in Bedouin, immigrant and under-served mobile health care units while in Israel and a couple other things.

I really hope some of that stuff plus what I consider a pretty strong Personal Statement catches the eye of an admissions officer who is looking for someone like me even if I'm not a maverick in Physics or Chemistry. I've only had 2 years of sciences in my whole life. A&P and BIO were a joy for me though and I did very well in them and became an AP/BIO tutor. BUT there was almost NO discernible AP or BIO on the test I took. It was all Genetics and Biochem.
Ah, it is what it is.

I feel that the MCAT tests EXPOSURE to material more than anything else. If I had been exposed to science as long as I've been exposed to English and Literature I think I would have done better.
Hope I didn't offend anyone or rant too much.
Thank you so much again for your comments and support. I wish there was something I could do for you guys because just having someone else who's been through or is going through this cluster**** really helps.

It looks like you have had some great experiences. I'd say you definitely have a shot at receiving interview invites. Good luck on the Sept 1st MCAT!

Thank you for replying again. So even without an increase in score I still have a shot? Will I be "bottom of the bucket" or moderately competitive?

Thank you for replying again. So even without an increase in score I still have a shot? Will I be "bottom of the bucket" or moderately competitive?
I would say you have a shot. As far as your competitiveness, it is difficult to say how you will do this cycle. Looking at the overall picture I think you are competitive. Your one weak point is your unbalanced MCAT score. Normally a 25 would be fine for DO school. It is a bit low but plenty of people get into DO programs with a 25 (especially with great EC's and a great GPA). Your score is unbalanced and schools are going to take that into account. For example, I remember reading Western's minimum MCAT score requirements was an 8 in each subsection so those 7’s may get you screened out before they see all of your great EC’s. As long as you get past the screeners I think you have a shot. If I were you, I would apply now and I would retake the MCAT.
Just be careful with the MCAT retake, you have to be confident that your science scores will improve. If you think you can raise your PS and BS sections by a point or two then go ahead and take the Sept 1st MCAT. If not, I would reconsider retaking the MCAT so soon. You don’t want to make the mistake of retaking the MCAT so quickly that your score declines because that will severely hurt your chances.

Just to give you an idea - I have a 25 mcat with 7P 9V 9B, 3.76 Gpa and a professional degree with 10 years of practice in healthcare, not shadowing or assisting, but actually providing treatment and I have the equivalent of two interviews so far after applying June 1. I think I may get a few more. I'm also considered international, so that might be a factor as well. I would not give up -- if you have the time redo the MCAT. If not focus on interviewing well because I think you will still be given that opportunity.