Please help: Drexel vs. SUNY Downstate for a DC Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TREE TREE

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got accepted off the Downstate alternate list, and have to finalize my decision by this Friday.

I actually like SUNY Downstate better but they are accepting me waaaaay too late. I have already found a very nice apartment near Drexel, and my SO is ready to move with me to Philly. But I still want to give Downstate some consideration since I liked this school the most during the interviewing season.

Drexel:
(+) newer school building and better facilities
(+) more study time as there are less mandatory classes. In fact, this year all lectures will be online
(+) I love LOVE LOVE my apartment. It's modern, in a good neighborhood, and each room has its own washing and drying machine.
(+) closer to home and family
(-) clerkship years: I'm not thrilled about doing rotations in an non-urban area. Though I like the idea of having the opportunity to rotate at Kaiser at Sacramento, CA.
(-) My interviewer and tour guide were not very enthusiastic about the school
(-) Campus is far away from the school's teaching hospital
(-) Assessments every 2 weeks

Downstate:
(+) very diverse patient population
(+) great clinical training and impressive match list ( I care because I want to match into a surgical specialty-thinking about Uro)
(+) Better reputation
(+) 60K cheaper
(+) it's the NYC!
(-) living environment is crap, don't have good feeling about the dorm. Plus my SO and I will have to sign a domestic partner agreement.
(-) can't bring my car, or I'll have to rent a parking space, which is pretty pricey

Members don't see this ad.

Downstate. Cheaper / better school.

FYI if you want to get IS tuition then I think you'd need to get a place off campus?

edit: of course this changes if the SO is not on board, but otherwise Downstate all the way!

Thank you very much for your comment! However, my family is very concerned about my and my SO's safety. Do you think Brooklyn is really that unsafe (my SO works evening shifts so he often gets home around 12-1am)?

I interviewed at SUNY downstate. I stayed with a friend who lived in Brooklyn, about a 10 minute drive from the school by uber. Could've taken a train too. The school may not be in the best area, but nyc has some easy to figure out public transportation, so you don't have to live right on campus.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Downstate all the way! This was one of my top choices for a very long time as I'm a city person (went to NYU for undergrad). The clinical experience you will get at Downstate is better IMO than at Drexel. Plus I think you can get IS tuition after the first year. I know the facilities themselves aren't in the best shape, but the location and proximity to NYC make Downstate worth it.

Reactions: 1 user