1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. We will be performing maintenance on the SDN forums on Friday, December 9 at 5:00 AM Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Please Help...Getting bummed about verbal

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by DeeVeeZee, 05.14.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. DeeVeeZee

DeeVeeZee 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Took MCAT on 04/05. Got a 26 (11 PS 10 Bio 05 VR). Cum gpa is 3.77 is that a 0% chance to get in? I know nobody accepts people under a 7 so I plan on retaking, but I dont know where else to turn for verbal. I dont have money for a prep course, but I still have passages in TPR hyperlearning and EK 101. Just keep doing practice problems? I am lost, but determined. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Person0715

Person0715 Socially awkward 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    It sounds like you need to work a bit more on your reading comprehension skills. What is your current VR strategy? How much time do you allot per passage? Do you skim passages or read word for word? How did you practice VR until now?

However, good job on the science scores. If you manage to improve your VR scores, you'll likely see an increase in science scores as well since the style of passages is largely similar across the sections.

4. Uafl112

Uafl112 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I am in the same boat as you except I havent taken the real MCAT yet. One piece of advice I wanna give that really helped me was finally understanding that their is no quick fix. You just have to find the strategy that works the best for you, STICK WITH IT, and then keep practicing it so you can improve.

Also, I took the TPR prep course and they honestly taught me the exact same strategy that was written in their books. Therefore, the classes are a waste of money. If you have any friends who scored a 10+ on the section, I would suggest you ask them if they can sit down with you and help you out. Ask them to perform a few passages in front of you out loud. Try and determine what they are doing as opposed to yourself. Hopefully it helps

5. Sammy1024

Sammy1024

I had a friend who got 14s on his sciences but a 6 on the verbal and still got I to medical school. Tbh I think a lot of schools care more about the overall score than anything. Just my 2 cents

About the ads