SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Please help guys I am in a strange situation

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by kamya, Apr 1, 2002.

  1. kamya

    kamya Member 7+ Year Member

    Jan 31, 2002
    I know this has been discussed in the post 'postmatch situation' still I need you suggestions.

    I got matched in a program fa-------r from the place I am living. Its not like I dinot like any program in my area. Situation was I got only 2 interviews( none of them in my area) .Any now I matched ( IM Categorical)and I was happy. But I still did not want to move leaving my husband and 2 year old son.

    Fortuanately now I have been offered a transitional year post match position just in my neighbour hood. They will fax me a letter of intent which I have to sign and fax back in 24 hrs.

    My question is

    If I accept this position Do I violate the NRMP rules
    (I have not signed the contract yet from the program I matched because I just recieved it on friday.)

    Is my decision bad of accepting a trasitional position vs a categorical far from my family.

    The program which is offering me the transitional will send me the contract in 2-3 weeks. As I already wrote I have not signed the contract yet from the program where I am currently matched because I just recieved it on friday.

    Can I ask the program where I have already matched that I need 2-3 weeks before I can sign the contract . I don't want to loose my current program.

    Please help---
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Goofy

    Goofy Senior Member 7+ Year Member

    Nov 20, 2001
    United States Of America
    By participating in the match, YOU HAVE ALREADY SIGNED THE CONTRACT. This is an important point to realize. Having said that, if you have extinuating circumstances and the PD is sympathetic, they can release you from your contract. I would contact the PD from the program you matched at immediately. In many cases they are compassionate and understanding people that should be able to work things out.

    Good luck
  4. joeski12

    joeski12 New Member

    Jan 1, 2002
    Huntsville, AL
    I agree with are in a BINDING contract and the only way out is if the PD realeases you from tyhe contract. So your next move is to discuss your situation with the PD so you can work out something.....otherwise you owe that program at least 1yr. Hope this helps
  5. EidolonSix

    EidolonSix Member 7+ Year Member

    Nov 10, 2001
    Unfortunately, I am in a situation where I am also moving roughly 1200 miles from my girlfriend, who is deeply immersed in a general surgery program. I got my first choice and really liked the program, but my girlfriend is not too happy about it and begs me to opt out. I know making it long distance was a gamble...but it was an important choice for me to find a program that would reinforce my confidence and direct me to being a good physician, a feeling I was skeptical about, had I stayed. Anyways....just to tell you that you are not alone...

    My understanding is that you can opt out, but cannot accept any other ACGME accredited positions. So basically, you will have to take an outside job, and potentially start having to pay off your loans, if any, during that time. Basically, your best bet would be to do your year and then try to transfer back, or at least closer to your family, if they indeed cannot follow you.
  6. johnM

    johnM Senior Member 7+ Year Member

    Jan 8, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    I'm just a dumb pre-med, but why do people match at places they don't want to go to? Don't you create your own match list? If you really want to be near your family/ girlfriend/ favorite burger joint, why wouldn't you put programs near you on your list?
  7. kamya

    kamya Member 7+ Year Member

    Jan 31, 2002
    Thanks a lot for your replies.

    Now that I know that if I sign this postmatch position it will be against the rule. what if I tell the PD that I can not join the program because of some family reasons instead of telling him that I got a position s'where else.
    Afterall situations can arise when s'one is not able to start residency inspite of signing all contracts.

    My problem is the program where I got postmatch
    will send me the contract in 2-3 weeks. So just to be on the safe side I don't want to call the PD now.

    Can anybody also tell me if signing a leeter of intent in which I sign the acceptance of position makes my position secure

    I ask klebsiela and others not to get irritated and please reply my quiries. I was so happy when I didnot have a choice. I am so much tensed that I have started feeling sick. I highly appreciate you replies.

    Thanks in advance
  8. Sabreman

    Sabreman Member 7+ Year Member

    Sep 20, 2001
    Actually, the Match is not in any way legally binding. It is if you want to have any involvement with the NRMP again (i.e. fellowship) and is considered bad form to just go somewhere else (truth, justice, and the American Way, etc.). However, I know firsthand that if a school, for instance your home school, offers you a position out of pity, you are legally free to sign that contract instead of your matched one. However, if you actually sign the new contract you are legally bound.

Share This Page