Please Help Help Help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

preDPM

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are so many different MCAT study material on the market right now that they can make your head spin.

Can someone please post the best prep materials for someone who has been out of college for about 6 years? Please rate the following based on your experiences (feel free to add more):

Kaplan MCAT 2007-2008 Comprehensive Review/Premier Program with CD

Examcrackers Complete Package (5 books)

Audio Osmosis (Audio Learn)

The Princeton Review Materials

The Berkeley Review Home Study package (10 books)

NOVA Books

Any other good ones out there?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I would get the Kaplan Comprehensive Review and the full EK Complete Study package for review. Those are pretty much a must- I've been using both so far, and they've been pretty solid.

In addition, if you need help with Gen Chem then you should ONLY get the G. Chem Berkeley Review books. Rest of the study guide is junk.

If you need help with physics, buy the NOVA physics book only. Again, rest of the study guide is terrible.

So the books listed above would be just for the review... but the key to your success is to buy practice material also. The 1001 questions from the EK sciences and 101 passages from EK VR are extremely helpful for practice and getting the concepts down cold.

Finally, you should probably buy some practice exams (not review material or practice questsions)from the following places: The Princeton Review, Kaplan, and the official aamc site.

Anyway, it's going to be quite costly, but those books will be worth every penny. Good luck!:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
There are so many different MCAT study material on the market right now that they can make your head spin.

Can someone please post the best prep materials for someone who has been out of college for about 6 years? Please rate the following based on your experiences (feel free to add more):

Kaplan MCAT 2007-2008 Comprehensive Review/Premier Program with CD

Examcrackers Complete Package (5 books)

Audio Osmosis (Audio Learn)

The Princeton Review Materials

The Berkeley Review Home Study package (10 books)

NOVA Books

Any other good ones out there?

Thanks

since you have been out of college, EK won't help you. they're review. i have their books. they're good IF you know your stuff.

BR has the best Chem and O chem out there.

Physics, it's a tie between BR and Nova. but it's agreed that BR has much better passages. between people who have used nova and BR, a disproportionate amount prefer BR. if you don't believe me, just do a search.

Verbal Examkrackers verbal and 101 verbal passages is the best

Bio 1. Ek bio know this book cold and 1001 bio passages 2. Kaplan bio

definitely get ek set, kaplan bio, and i highly suggest getting BR chem, physics, and O-chem. I don't understand how the rest are garbage? have you checked them out? the BR passages are much better practice than EK 1001, as the test is actually passages. that's why Ek verbal 101 and bio 101 are loved on this site. make sure to do lots of passages.

most importantly, practice tests. buy aamc 3-10 and some from kaplan, BR, GS, etcl

you should be able to get some gold standard on ebay for cheap, they're in cbt form. BR can be ordered from here http://www.berkeleyreview.com/

I would say using both the EK and the Kaplan is a good mix- I have both and use EK first but I think the Kaplan covers less details but is a good overview

For me the Audio Osmosis it the best! I am an auditory learner and spend a lot of time in Atlanta traffic so its a great combo- I usually listen to the AO after I have pre-read a lecture from the EK set then I re-read EK and do the notes.

Everyone says BR is really good for chemistry- I haven't gotten it but if I make it through the EK and still don't get it as well as I think I should I will be ordering it.

Check on ebay and see what you can find first but for me having a variety of materials to look through helps when you don't understand the authors tke on a specific topic.

Thanks a lot everyone, that was very useful for me since I have been outa college for some time now.

I looked through some old EKs that one of my friend had and I found all the good old bio coming back to me going through a few pages.

I havent looked at Kaplan but will get it along with BR Chem. Thanks a lot everyone.

Good luck!:thumbup: