PLEASE HELP: How does ERAS notify Residency programs of Step 2 Scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

centroles

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am an IMG and have a below average ERAS application. I'm applying to Psych, IM and FM btw. I just want to get a residency spot, I don't care too much where as long as I get a spot on match day.

I won't be able to take my Step 2 until mid september at the earliest. But I will be doing extremely extremely well on my Step 2.

If I submit my ERAS on Sept 1st and transmit my step 2 score to all the programs I'm interested in in mid october, how will residency directors get notified of my score?

Will they have to reopen my file/application to see my score, or will they get my score directly, and be convinced based on my score to take a second look at the rest of my application.

I don't want any residency programs to discard my file based on my below average application without ever seeing my step 2 score.

If programs would have to reopen my application to see my score, I will submit my ERAS application only once my Step 2 score is available to submit along with it in mid october. Or will any of the lesser competitive residency programs completely stop looking at candidates before November.

Please help. I would greatly appreciate your input. Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The answer is: "It depends".

When you apply via ERAS to my program, all of your available information (that you have released / assigned to my program) is sent to me for review. On my end, I can ask ERAS to "filter" applications in any way I want. One such filter let's me know if your application is "complete" -- i.e. ready for me to review. Vitally important --> Each PD can write these filters anyway they might want. So, I might consider complete = ERAS application + USMLE report + 2 LOR's + PS. Or, I might say it's ERAS + Both USMLE steps + 3 LOR's + PS. Or, any combination of anything I want.

If your application meets these criteria, then your application is presented to me to review. if not, then it's held awaiting further application materials.

If a PD uses "USMLE transcript received" as part of it's filter, then they might review your application with only Step 1 (assuming the other criteria are met) and make a decision based upon that. I doubt they would notice that your Step 2 was pending, and even so they might simply assume that your Step 2 performance was going to match your Step 1.

Once your application is reviewed, and rejected, it is "inactivated" so that it no longer appears for review. New information is still downloaded into your application, but it will not be re-reviewed unless the PD specifically pulls it. As mentioned in your other thread, this may or may not happen if you contact the PA/PD and ask nicely if your Step 2 >> Step 1.

Thank you so much for your kind and enlightening answer.

So it sounds as if there is no deadline suggesting that after Nov 1st, PDs simply stop looking at applications.

It sounds as though applying to programs after November should be fine (though it will decrease the odds of me getting residency at places that take candidates on a rolling basis).

As I don't anticipate getting accepted in a prematch anyways, I think I will take my Step 2 at the end of Sept, do really well on it, and submit my ERAS application along with my Step 2 score to programs at the end of October.

Thank you very much once again.

I just have one last question. If you don't mind answering, what is the typical application deadline for your residency program (or typical residency programs). I am just wondering if residency programs might have an application deadline of Nov 1st or earlier.

Last edited:
Along the same line, does a good Step2 score really make up for an average Step1 score?

If the PD sets a filter of [Step1 > X], and I missed the cutoff by 2 points, but at the same time, my Step2 score is X+20.... will my app be downloaded?

The issue is, can the PD filter by Step1 score alone?

If so, is there any recourse? I could nicely ask the PC to re-view my application, but how would I know that the Step1 score is what's hanging me up?

Along the same line, does a good Step2 score really make up for an average Step1 score?

If the PD sets a filter of [Step1 > X], and I missed the cutoff by 2 points, but at the same time, my Step2 score is X+20.... will my app be downloaded?

If so, is there any recourse? I could nicely ask the PC to re-view my application, but how would I know that the Step1 score is what's hanging me up?

Historically and according to the NRMP PD survey, slightly more emphasis is placed on Step 1 scores... but showing improvement on Step 2 is a good thing.

Certain programs may have filters, but some PDs read most of the applications (if not quickly!). If you improved on Step 2, submit your transcript. The program has to download the application from the post office. If I were a PD, I would have an and/or filter for Step scores depending on how competitive my program is... because I think most people would agree an isolated Step 1 score that is low in light of an otherwise great application (including Step 2 score that was good) is a candidate they would want to interview.

Caveat: Derm and such might be a different story... don't know about those specialties... just a mere plebeian going into IM.

As aPD has mentioned many times, if there's a section for it on ERAS, they can filter by it. So yes, they can filter by Step 1 alone (and I would guess that, if programs filter, that's where they would start). A filter does not get your app thrown out, just hidden, until they sort/filter on something else. They can also filter by (e.g.) Step 1 AND Step 2 >X, Step 1 OR Step 2 >X, etc.

Unless a program publishes their Step 1 cutoff, you will never know if this is what got you ignored/rejected. You could have been filtered by middle initial for all you know. There's little you can do about it. If you get to the point where you just don't have enough interviews to feel comfortable matching, or you get rejected by your presumed dream program, a request for re-review of your app probably won't hurt you (but likely won't help much either). If you get rejected, you get rejected. It's not personal, buck up and move on.