Please Help. I don't have much clinical experience, should I apply to med school in the spring?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedgirl4055

Reaction score
Hello!

I am currently in my senior year with my undergrad. I always wanted to go into medicine, but up until 2 years ago I never thought I was smart enough. I decided one day I hated business and wanted to pursue medicine. I'm planning on applying to medical school this spring, but I don't have any clinical experience expect caregiving for an ill family member. Over the past 2 years, I've almost completed my undergrad, volunteered a ton, am involved in research, and am active in on-campus clubs. I had shadowing and volunteering in a hospital lined up for late March, but when COVID hit I was never able to do any of this. I also feel like with the pandemic still raging its not my place to ask doctors if I can shadow. I'm worried that it'll look bad on an application/I won't get in because of this. I don't want to make excuses because I should have done it earlier. I do have a good GPA and references, but I still don't know if not having this clinical experience will ruin my chance of getting in
So if you were in my shoes would you wait another year? or apply now?

Members don't see this ad.

You need clinical experience in your background before applying to medical school.

Shadowing and clinical experience are essential to show that you understand the day to day of a physician. The majority of applicants and reapplicants will have clinical experience from before the current situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also feel like with the pandemic still raging its not my place to ask doctors if I can shadow.

Just start cold-calling and emailing practices. I got some ENT shadowing back in July, at the height of the COVID hysteria.
It's also crazy late to apply at this point starting from ground zero, especially keep in mind it takes a fair amount of time for AMCAS verification (even AACOMAS is a few days), not to mention the time you need to write personal statements and secondary essays.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't donate your money by applying this year because without clinical experience, you will most certainly be rejected, and being a re-applicant is another hurdle to jump over.

Use the next year to gain clinical experience. If you have a PCP or if not, talk to family, relatives, or friends and ask them for the numbers of their PCPs. Then start making phone calls or writing emails to these PCPs.

Hello!

I am currently in my senior year with my undergrad. I always wanted to go into medicine, but up until 2 years ago I never thought I was smart enough. I decided one day I hated business and wanted to pursue medicine. I'm planning on applying to medical school this spring, but I don't have any clinical experience expect caregiving for an ill family member. Over the past 2 years, I've almost completed my undergrad, volunteered a ton, am involved in research, and am active in on-campus clubs. I had shadowing and volunteering in a hospital lined up for late March, but when COVID hit I was never able to do any of this. I also feel like with the pandemic still raging its not my place to ask doctors if I can shadow. I'm worried that it'll look bad on an application/I won't get in because of this. I don't want to make excuses because I should have done it earlier. I do have a good GPA and references, but I still don't know if not having this clinical experience will ruin my chance of getting in
So if you were in my shoes would you wait another year? or apply now?
You might be able to get a scribing job. This kills three birds with one stone.

It's employment (always good)
It's glorified shadowing
It's patient contact experience.

If not, then your plans are in stasis until the pandemic is over. Here's a harsh truth: your health, as well as that of your family and society's, is more important than your med school plans.

And yes, from my Adcom perspective, lacking clinical experience is lethal.

I got in in 2006 without any clinical (volunteered at a hospital pharmacy, but had zero shadowing).

I'd likely not get in if I applied with my same app today.

Get some clinical experience under your belt.

Caring for an ill family member, while something to possibly talk about in your ps or during an interview, doesn't count.