Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Please help if you can

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by kim, Mar 13, 1999.

1. kim

kim New Member

hello,

Im not a med student... I am in desperate need of some help. My grandmother has had two very mini strokes. She also had a blooD clot in her leg. She is 85. Until this she was in excellent health and on no medication what so ever. My problem is that since the second mini stroke which slightly affected her speach she has absolutley no appeite. She eats about 4 or five table spoons of food a day and says she is just full all the time. We are at the end of our rope. Her doctor doesn't seem interested in trying to research this problem at all... mean while she is wasting away and dehydrated we forced him to put her on an IV for the dehydration. We had to force him to run a dopler on her leg because we were sure she had a blood clot but he just wanted to put her on diaretics. We need to have some Idea what might be causing her to feel full all the time even though she hasn't eaten. Her life is fading fast and we are despreate. We are just asking for suggestions as to possible tests that should be run to try to find the problem . Any one with any suggestions please email me I would be extremely grateful. We are in the process of trying to find another doctor. But we really need some suggestions.... her doctor just isn't taking this seriously. PLEASE... any help or ideas would be greatly apreciated thankyou very very much, or links to sites or doctors that I could talk to . kim

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. OldManDave

OldManDave Fossil Bouncer Emeritus
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    First and foremost, I would suggest you go to a doctor who is more receptive to your Grandmother's plight. I'm not saying the one you have is not doing well; but maybe a second opinion is warranted if you and your family feel that strongly.

As for medical advice, any of us would be remiss in giving it. Most of us are pre-med students and therefore unqualified to even guess. Also, having never seen your Grandmother makes it nearly impossible to advise you. Besides, not a single one of us would wish to risk your Grandmother's health by giving erroneous advise.

I hope this is of some help.

------------------
    'Old Man Dave'
    Senior, Neurosciences
    Univ of Texas at Dallas
    Class of 1999

[This message has been edited by OldManDave (edited 03-14-99).]

4. Monica

Monica New Member

While I don't claim to be an expert in matters such as this, perhaps I can give you some direction. First of all, are you absolutely sure that those were "mini-strokes"? Mini-strokes, also refered to as transient ischemic attacks, by definition resolve all neurological impairments within 24 hours. What this means is that if your grandmother is not eating due to a neurological problem (ie she can no longer taste food) she should be seen by a neurologist because who stroke may be more serious than your family has been lead to believe. However, what you are describing more than likely is depression. If, as you put it, she had been on no medications up to this point that probably means that she had been in relatively good health. It could be that her "mini-strokes" have made her conscious of her age and impending demise. This could potentially bring on severe depression which would cause things like a severe lack of appetite. Consider taking her to a psychologist or psychiatrist who is familiar with depression among the elderly. She needs your love and support right now and it sounds to me that you are very concerned and I hope you can find the resources you need. Good luck.

5. Jalby

Jalby I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.

Pre-Veterinary
    The doctors are to the best of my knowledge doing exactly what they should be doing. As sad as it might be, not everything can be fixed. I'm sorry.

VisionaryTics likes this.
  6. IlDestriero

IlDestriero Ether Man
    Physician Faculty

Attending Physician
    Grandma would be 101 now as the post is 16.5 years old.
    BTW, it was stomach cancer.

Goro and Winged Scapula like this.
  7. SouthernSurgeon

Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Resident [Any Field]
  8. TooMuchResearch

TooMuchResearch i'm goin' to Kathmandu...
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Resident [Any Field]
    1999 definition of TIA ftw.