Please Help, In DIRE NEED of advise :(

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by sky91, Jun 24, 2012.

1. sky91

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Hello, this is my first time posting here and I hoping to get some advise from you all.

Ok here goes I went to UC straight from high school (entered as Bio Sci major) toward the end of my first year/beginning of 2 year i fell ill (Ulcers) my GPA fell to 2.18.

I decided to take a leave of absence from the UC and go back home for a while i took classes at a JC at the same time. I stayed at the JC for 3 years finishing Gen-Chem (C's both semesters) (Physics- C's both semester) Calculus (B's both semesters) GPA around ~ 1.9 I know terrible i was dealing with alot of personal issues. I came back to the UC fall 2011 and current GPA is 2.26 and i have one more year .

At this stage i don't know what to do?! I want to finish my degree Sociology (not take anymore science classes) and perhaps do a postbacc but i don't know if that's still possible. Please help!! I need advise

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. eggs13

eggs13 Lift Heavy, Get Tough
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    to be brutally honest, with a 2.26, you have no shot of getting into a MD or DO medical school in the United States. I think it would be best to reevaluate what interests you in life other than medicine, because unless you get that GPA to over a 3 (which would take A LOT of work), your shot at medical school is 0%.

4. tea20

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I would suggest you to start a new major because 2.26 it's way to low :( .. If you have patience time really do a second major take High grades mostly A's and then consider a post bacc or smth to strength ur application. Is it ok if you start a new major ?? Have you ever consider it ?

5. tea20

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yes that's a good choice finish sociology with a great gpa and than do a formal post bacc or spm
    I don't want to tell you consider another path not medicine but it really going to be hard with that gpa . Not bad idea do sociology and than post bacc or spm . Good luck but never lose hope gpa it's not everything things happen in life but if you want you can change it . Start taking things seriously study study study and it will pay you back . :) :) :)

6. sky91

I can switch into psychobiology B.S (adds another year )and go on to do O-chem and other upper division biology classes but i don't think the quarter system is for me that why i think i need a postbacc at a semester school. But i have faith that i can turn my GPA around so just wanna see my best option in doing so. Thanks for the encouragement btw!

7. gatorade848

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    whats JC? junior college? getting that kind of grades in any college is very bad. med schools are million times harder... you sure you actually have the tools to do this? not everyone can be a starting qb in the nfl... same with med schools

8. Ironmandoc

Medical Student
    My advice is to get off SDN and study more. Seriously, not close to making the cut...

sorry broseph

9. HDaddyDollarz

HDaddyDollarz Class of 2017
    2+ Year Member

you need to try to finish your sociology degree and not worry about the sciences....instead see if you can get a high GPA taking sociology classes in the first place

not to knock on you...I dug myself out of a freshman GPA of 1.6...to a 3.77sgpa, but you need to first prove that you can get a 4.0 in easier classes (sociology) before you even entertain these pre-med courses

if your still up to it when you graduate you need to do a post-bacc and kill it...then probably even do a SMP to prove your capable of handling the rigorous courseload of med school

I dont know you financial situation, but this will take 2-3 years of tuition to complete....you may want to explore becoming a Physician Assistant, RN,PT, or a podiatrist...they have very similar lifestyles/salaries to PC physicians...

you still will need high grades for those tho, they are no joke

10. sky91

@HDaddyDolllaz I think that's my best option so far thanks and yes I'm looking into PA programs as well.