Please help! In need of study material suggestions for the OAT

optgirl15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So I am just in the beginning process of tackling studying for the OAT. Ive been reading a lot of posts about the regrets people have had or the study materials they wished they purchased in the beginning. I am already enrolled in a Kaplan course and am now curious if it was a complete waste of my money or if it will be a waste of my time. I want my time spent studying to be effective as possible. I also have examkrackers Physics, Orgo and Gen Chem books that I was lent from a friend and was wondering if anyone has found them helpful? I've seen pretty good responses about Chad's videos and was wondering if that is my next best plan of action. Overall I am just lost on what materials to purchase next because I don't have an unlimited amount of money to buy certain materials only to find out others would have been more useful. Also any tips about the OAT in general would be greatly appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

I wrote my OAT and did pretty well. I ended with something like 98th percentile. I can honestly say the Kaplan course was only good at keeping me studying. If you can study without it, do it! ALSO they did have a lot of practise tests which was very good! Chad's vids were awesome since I felt like the Kaplan course rushed some material, and he gave some tricks to do questions quicker than Kaplan did. my # 1 advice beyond compare is to buy the OAT Destroyer and go through that as well as the Math Destroyer. Do this after you've finished all the other studies. I ended up doing the OAT Destroyer about 3 weeks prior to the test and spent about 1 week doing a full OAT at the same time I was expected write it to a week prior. The OAT Destroyer was so much harder, but the fact that I was able to do those, and learn from those, I did great!

Good luck!
Hope this helps!

Thank you so much for the advice I will definitely be looking into chads videos and the OAT destroyer more now!

Members don't see this ad :)
steviey2493 about the OAT destroyer, what style of book is it? Was it more material based or is it just a bunch of practice questions? Ultimately I am looking for a book that does have mostly if not all practice questions. I heard it was a great help in providing harder questions, however I am just nervous that if I practice with the harder questions I will overthink easier questions on the real OAT.

The whole thing is practice questions with solutions in the back of each section! For the Organic Chem, I found the OAT Destroyer to be WAY harder than the real OAT. The Bio was spot on and a HUGE HELP and I even had a few questions basically asking the exact same thing lol (Mine went 280 to 340!). The physics was a bit harder, but not too bad, but everyone knows the physics on there is ridiculous. The QR in the book was spot on with the test. The Genchem was a bit harder, but not too far off.

Def use Chad's videos first though. He is pretty spot on with stuff he talks about and definitely pounds some important ideas into your head to save you time on the test and shortcuts to find answers more easily. Those first, OAT Destroyer second, you should be good!

OAT Achiever is an invaluable tool that helped me score well on the test. The questions are harder that will make you freak out, but certainly has made me prepare harder for the test. I now see that they have 5 and 7 tests that I wish they were available when I was studying for the OAT.

Thank you all so much for your answers I really appreciate all of the feedback I can get! One last question though steviey2493 when you mentioned
"The physics was a bit harder, but not too bad, but everyone knows the physics on there is ridiculous. The Genchem was a bit harder, but not too far off."
Were you referring to the OAT being a bit harder or the questions in the destroyer.

The questions in the Destroyer were a bit harder than the OAT! The physics is really hard in general as everyone knows, but the physics, especially orgo, and gen chem were harder in the Destroyer than the test. Bio and QR were right on par and super helpful.

For the OAT, i used the OAT Destroyer and Chad's videos. Chad's Videos helped me a lot with the Physics section of the OAT, and The OAT Destroyer in general was great practice. The key is to definitely take as many practice tests and questions as you can. I also used the OAT achiever to take full practice tests that mimicked the actual exam. Good luck to you!