Please Help, Just received my MCAT score....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neil88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Can someone tell me if I should apply or wait till next year. I have been approved for FAP too. I took MCAT two times.

MCAT 1: 25K: 10, 6, 9
MCAT 2: 27M: 11, 6, 10

Major: Biochemistry,
Minor: Chemical Engineering

GPA: 3.79 ; Science: 3.7

Activities:
1 semester of research in Marine Biology
1 semester of research in Global Change
1 semester of research in Microbiology
2 years member of two clubs
1 semester of volunteering at Hospital
Dean's list
1 semester of Tutoring: physics and Biology

I'm worried about my 6 in VR. I thought my score for VR would increase by at least 1 point, but I guess I was wrong. I'm planning to take it again in august. Do you thing that might be too late? If I don't take it, what are my chances with this score and information provided? Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You in advance for any help you can provide.

Members don't see this ad.

Look for schools which don't have verbal cut offs.

Unless you live in Puerto Rico, you are highly unlikely to get an allopathic acceptance with a VS of 6. I've heard that it's possible to get into some less-selective DO schools, however.

I'd encourage another retake, if allo schools are your goal. In the MCAT Discussions Forum there are some threads that give strategies on boosting VS that you might Search out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, thanks for the input. I am planning to take MCAT again in August; however, I have completed my application and was planing to summit it, but will they wait till they get my scores in September to review my application or will they decline me based on these scores. Also, can add more schools to send your application once you summit your application? Thank You.

It's always that nasty verbal, isn't it?

Anyway, you need to get that verbal score up. Period. You won't get in with a 6, especially when your overall score is only 26. I'd wait to launch your application until you get your MCAT back. If it hasn't gone up, I'd wait until next year. Consider less selective DO schools in the meantime, if applying this year is a must for you.

Which schools you should apply to depends on how much you can get your verbal score up. An 8 would give you a lot more choices, although an overall 28 score isn't where one wants to be. An 8 in verbal with an overall score of at least 30 would put you at a level where you have a decent chance of getting in somewhere.

It's always that nasty verbal, isn't it?

Anyway, you need to get that verbal score up. Period. You won't get in with a 6, especially when your overall score is only 26. I'd wait to launch your application until you get your MCAT back. If it hasn't gone up, I'd wait until next year. Consider less selective DO schools in the meantime, if applying this year is a must for you.

Which schools you should apply to depends on how much you can get your verbal score up. An 8 would give you a lot more choices, although an overall 28 score isn't where one wants to be. An 8 in verbal with an overall score of at least 30 would put you at a level where you have a decent chance of getting in somewhere.

Thank you, I don't mind waiting till I receive the scores, but will it be too late for me to apply? I have been calling school to see if they would hold my application till they receive the scores, and some say they wait and some say they don't. So my question is can you add school later on after you summit your application?

Also, any ideas on how to improve VR scores, I have read the advices on the forum, but it seems it didn't help me last time. I will continue with it till I find one that works for me.

So my question is can you add school later on after you summit your application?
As a general rule, most schools will hold your application until a new score comes in, provided they know to expect the second score, and provided there is nothing else about your application that disqualifies you, like a GPA below their cut off.

Yes, it is possible to add new schools later in the cycle anytime before that school's deadline.

Thank you, I don't mind waiting till I receive the scores, but will it be too late for me to apply? I have been calling school to see if they would hold my application till they receive the scores, and some say they wait and some say they don't. So my question is can you add school later on after you summit your application?

Also, any ideas on how to improve VR scores, I have read the advices on the forum, but it seems it didn't help me last time. I will continue with it till I find one that works for me.

If you take the MCAT again in August, you'll get your scores in September. This is not ideal, but not impossible either. You'd probably be looking at late spring interviews, if at all. I can tell you now there would be a lot of anxiety involved. I know it is not what you want to hear, but consider waiting until next year to apply. Without a significantly higher MCAT score I don't see your application being sucessful after being turned in late, especially for MD schools.