Please help. Low GPA and Higher upper Division and determined

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCRWSP

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is a little about myself.

I am a recent graduate from University of California Riverside. Tier 1 school
BS Biological Sciences
I have a cgpa: 2.67 sgpa: 2.90 :(

I got really low gpa due to family issues and traumatic events in the last 4 years. Grandfather died, Uncle died, and Best friend died.

My upper division classes are decently strong,but my lower division classes are horrible.

Experience:
Lifeguarded for 5 years.
clinical experience: 1 year ( 360 hours as a clinical care extender)
Recently got my EMT-1 certification and plan on applying for a job.

Theses are my goals:
- Going back to my school and retaking all my lower division classes
- Doing research with professors
- EMT working
- Volunteer in low income areas.
- apply for postbac- SFSU, University of Oregon, CSU EB, and etc

I would appreciate your comments and time.

Members don't see this ad.

First of all very sorry for your loss and I hope you are doing better. I am no expert but from what I hear its good to retake that you did badly in to show that the minor lapse you had was not because you were lazy or anything like that. Bear in mind MD schools will average those grades DO will only take the most recent.
I wish you the best your EC'S are great btw best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the insight. I really appreciate it. Is SFSU that strict? i heard you can get in with 2.5ish. I have never heard of Notre Dame De Namur University. How are the classes and the professors. SFSU told me that they get 89% of there postbac to Med School.

Thanks for the insight. I really appreciate it. Is SFSU that strict? i heard you can get in with 2.5ish. I have never heard of Notre Dame De Namur University. How are the classes and the professors. SFSU told me that they get 89% of there postbac to Med School.

I know nothing about SFSU's program or whether it's best for you to do a formalized prehealth postbac or not. I would think a program that has some selectivity about admissions would be preferable to taking classes where there is effectively open enrollment (like Cal extension or an informal postbac at a CSU) but maybe it isn't what you need. Check it out for yourself, don't base your view on negative comments from someone who seems critical because they were unsuccessful in getting into the program.

I'll add my best wishes to you for a smoother stretch of time to allow you to raise your game and get where you want to go.

Check it out for yourself, don't base your view on negative comments from someone who seems critical because they were unsuccessful in getting into the program.
It isn't so much about not getting into the program. I have been rejected from other places for other purposes. It was the overall way they treated me, but I do support your statement. Check it out yourself. It's the best way to truly know.