Feb 13, 2013
Status
Dentist
Hi ... I got matched for gpr program but due to some issues i think i may not be able to attend residency, though im trying now, but i will be able to make up this decision only by next month whether i can go or cant to gpr program. and i think i have to sign some contract by this feb end. so is there any way i can withdraw from gpr if iam not able to make it. what will happen if i withdraw? like is it possible that i can withdraw from gpr in march? please please anybody who knows about it, please give me some info what can be done.... I really appreciate...

ubdental

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2008
Status
Dentist
Unforeseen things do happen in life. You are not the first, or the last to cancel a matched position. No program wants that to happen to them, but I'm sure they've dealt with it somewhere a long the line. You will tick them off my cancelling, but they can't hold you back if you don't want to be there. It's better that you tell them sooner than later so they can fill up the spot, and not put you down on the rotations and call schedule.

However, if you like the program and you want to be there if you can work things out, you maybe able to negotiate with them to start your residency late. Some directors will give you the flexibility to start late, and then finish later than your classmates. Another possibility is to defer your residency for next year. It's all possible if you talk to the director.

Best of luck!!

Last edited:

Newgoalsdentdoc

7+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2010
Status
Dentist
Yes, you should inform someone sooner than later. Honesty is ALWAYS the best policy when you are dealing with future employers, etc. It really is. They will certainly appreciate your candor and keeping them informed. I know of a few friends over the years who started their residencies as late as October when the residency began July 1. Programs can always work this out. There are several factors that come into play and sometimes there's a cutoff date that involves that fiscal year for a particular residency. Sometimes when you match and are accepted to a program, you can delay and come in the following year. All depends on the program and the director but let someone know. You won't get the information you need until you ask. So don't delay. Best wishes and relax. It will all work out (smile).

Jan 28, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I was under the impression that the match was a binding process, and by turning down a program you matched to, you forfeit the ability to participate in the match in the future.

is this true?

Newgoalsdentdoc

7+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2010
Status
Dentist
Not too sure about that. Best way to find out is by asking. Again, it all depends on the director and the program. Not everything in life is "binding." (smile)

OP
Feb 13, 2013
Status
Dentist
thanks for the reply and your time... I am also worried about the same as I will not be able to participate in match ever after withdrawing... will there be any penalties...

Wax n Relax

Triple Cocktail & Dreams
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2008
Status
Dentist
thanks for the reply and your time... I am also worried about the same as I will not be able to participate in match ever after withdrawing... will there be any penalties...
From the match website:

The Match results constitute a binding commitment from which neither the applicant nor the program can withdraw. A program must offer an appointment to each applicant with whom it is matched, and the applicant must accept the offer from the program. A program may not offer a position to any applicant who was matched elsewhere.

Violations of the policies of the Match will be reported to the appropriate sponsoring organizations. Even if both parties agree to a release from the Match result, the sponsoring organizations may decide to impose penalties on those who violate the policies, such as cancellation or denial of memberships in the sponsoring organizations, barring participation in future matches, and reporting the violations to the dental schools or to other Match participants.

ubdental

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2008
Status
Dentist
Even though Match is a "pre-contract" process, there are conditions that you have to meet in order for programs to honor the contract, such as having good health, passing the program's drug test, etc..
There's always exceptions to the rules. Again, this is something you need to discuss with the director of the program. Workout something with him/her so it doesn't kill your chance of applying for residency in the future.
It's not the end of the world. Don't worry!!!