Liquidshock

10+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
I am trying to submit my primary application now, but I can't decide on which schools to apply. I am a UCLA graduate with 3.9 GPA and 34 MCAT.
I did research for 3 years w/o publication, volunteered at a hospital for a year and half. My LORs will be alright I believe, although I can never be sure. I have following schools on my list. My advisor told me to apply to 20... but I am trying to go for 25 to 30. So far, I just included schools I would really want to go... Should I include some safety schools? I dunno if I can call any school a safety school though. This application process seems to be so unpredictable...

USC
Stanford
UCSD
UCLA
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UCSF
Yale
Georgetown
Emory
Northwestern
U of Chicago
Johns Hopkins
Boston U
Harvard
Tufts
U Michgan
Washington U
Dartmouth
Columbia
NYU
Rochestor
Duke
U Penn
U Pittsburgh
Brown
Vanderbilt
U Virginia

dsh

SDN Lifetime Donor
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2005
I don't know if you have many ECs besides volunteering at a hospital and research. If you don't, it might be tough for you at top-tier schools because, although you have great grades and MCAT scores, most competitive applicants at that level have that going for them as well. Also, it doesn't seem like you're that confident on the quality of your letters.

You might want to consider more low/mid tier schools (RFU, Albany, Einstein, etc.). Even as a CA resident (I'm assuming), you can't really count on getting into a UC, and having them inflates your school list more than other applicants. Twenty-five to thirty sounds about right.

Also, I think that you can submit your app right now and get on queue for verification and add schools later without losing your place in line. I'm really not sure. You should look into that. And if I were you, I'd take Brown off my list. It's really, really tough to get into that school unless you were part of their 8-year program.

OP
L

Liquidshock

10+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Dude your ECs are greeeeaaaatttt!!!
Well, I have other ECS besides research and volunteering, but it's nothing compared to yours :rolleyes:
Thank you for your comments. I was thinking pretty much the same thing.
I guess I will take some schools off my list and add some mid/low tier schools.

dsh said:
I don't know if you have many ECs besides volunteering at a hospital and research. If you don't, it might be tough for you at top-tier schools because, although you have great grades and MCAT scores, most competitive applicants at that level have that going for them as well. Also, it doesn't seem like you're that confident on the quality of your letters.

You might want to consider more low/mid tier schools (RFU, Albany, Einstein, etc.). Even as a CA resident (I'm assuming), you can't really count on getting into a UC, and having them inflates your school list more than other applicants. Twenty-five to thirty sounds about right.

Also, I think that you can submit your app right now and get on queue for verification and add schools later without losing your place in line. I'm really not sure. You should look into that. And if I were you, I'd take Brown off my list. It's really, really tough to get into that school unless you were part of their 8-year program.

Dr Durden

10+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2006
The Dirty South
Status
Medical Student
Did you just take the top 25 US New Rankings and decide to call it your application list? I'd look a little more in depth at the schools to see what distinguishes them from one another, and add some lower ranked schools. Thirty applications with nothing but prestige as the motivation is going to make secondary season a nightmare for you.

About the Ads