Please help me choose: Wake Forest or MCW?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OrkidLover

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before people get mad, I already did do a search and there were few responses. I know that I'm in a lucky situation and really want to make a good decision so that I won't regret the next 4 years of my life.

From my own impressions, MCW interview was the most fun and a better fit. Students were very nice and social and I feel more at home in a large class because my ugrad was huge. Plus in a large class you're basically anonymous except to a few close friends/classmates. MCW is also the cheaper choice, great new facilities, weather is a bit extreme but I can handle snow/cold better than I can hot/humid, and affiliated hospitals seem very reputable. With the new curriculum changes, it has great potential.

Wake Forest is slightly better ranked, and although I don't care too much about rankings I did notice most people were more aware of WF as a school. I don't know what I want to specialize in so I do wonder if the name of the school affects residency options. I didn't get to interact too much with the students so can't assess how I'd fit in. I don't know how close the class is. The school is very tech up-to-date and nearby hospitals are also great. My interviewer talked about really cool research he is involved in. Location wise it seems there is even less to do than in Milwaukee.

They're both really similar in terms of tuition and cost of living so not a really big factor. Please any current students/applicants if you know more about the schools and programs I would love to hear your inputs! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

if you have been accepted to both of these schools, congratulations! bear in mind however, that there is nothing forcing you to make this decision now. at the very least, you should avoid withdrawing from either until you're received your financial aid packages from both for comparision.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you have been accepted to both of these schools, congratulations! bear in mind however, that there is nothing forcing you to make this decision now. at the very least, you should avoid withdrawing from either until you're received your financial aid packages from both for comparision.

This is very good advice. I have very close friends that are at WF and they absolutely love it. The state of North Caroline is amazing and Winston-Salem is one of its best cities. The MD program, facilites and research at Wake are top-notch. Also, because Wake has a very well-known program, securing a residency that you want could possibly be a bit easier (do your part by scoring high on Step 1). I don't know too much about MCW, so I would use this information only as info for Wake. I have been to both cities a few times, though and there are actually a lot of things to do in both. Chicago is only an hour away from Milwaukee. I hope this helps some. And again, congratulations!

I agree this is good advice.

I am in a similar position as you. It seems that you are favoring MCW, but the prestige and possibilities at Wake are too good to write off.

I too thought one school was a better "fit" but now weighing it against a more prestigious school. Many people may jump on you about considering a school for prestige (we don't need another argument about this), but I can empathize. It truly does draw you in.

I think taking your time is the best route. Really try to talk with current students from both schools. And a second-look weekend would also be a great idea to get another feel of the school. I'm sure schools will be even more accommodating than interview day since they offered you an acceptance and would like you there. Plus, financial aid packages may sway you one direction. I keep hearing over and over again to go to the cheapest school possible. While I struggle a little with this, I think cost (especially as the prospect of debt is looming) may be a key factor.

Good luck with your decision!

Let me know if you have any specific questions about MCW. Also although MCW has a large class, believe me everyone knows who you unlike in the undergrad so you're not that anonymous.

I understand the position you're in because I'm in a similar one. Take a deep breath and give it some time. Wait until financial aid info comes in and attend second look weekends. After some time it will more than likely sort itself out, at least thats what I'm hoping happens for me. Congrats and good luck.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. Yea, I just sent in deposits for both schools and will try to talk to the current students. Unfortunately, MCW does not offer second look weekends and I think Wake does it for minority students only? That's what I got from searching SDN anyway. I'll just take time to make a good decision but I believe both schools will offer me a solid education.

Both are good schools. I'm really enjoying my experience at Wake. I'd say wait for the financial aid though and think about where you want to live. If you have any specific questions I can answer for you let me know via pm. I'm a first year so I don't know everything but I'll answer to the best of my ability :)

Congrats!