Please help me decide! A very tough situation, Don't know what to do.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BioPremed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK so here's my situation:
I've been accepted into an early acceptance program for a while but I did pretty decent on the MCAT (40 and a 4.0 GPA) so I think I'll have a pretty good chance at some of the top schools. The thing is that I honestly don't want to end up at the state school that I'm already accepted in because it's not that great and I applied as a direct result of a lack of self confidence because I wasn't familiar with the whole med school thing in the first place.

So I'm asking everybody on SDN this: what would you do?

Some of the other things about my program:
I can't do a combined program in med school
I'll have to pay back all the scholarship money they've given me
I don't know how med schools will look at me turning down an admissions at a medical school just to go to a better medical school
-OK you're gonna think I'm schizophrenic but whatever- I think the folks that run the program won't be too happy about me leaving so sometimes I have this nightmare that the director picks up the phone and calls all the other schools that I'm applying to and sabotages my application somehow.

PLEASE,PLEASE give me your feedback, I'm really lost right now!

Members don't see this ad.

Wow I hope I'm never one of your patients...

BioPremed said:
I've been accepted into an early acceptance program for a while but I did pretty decent on the MCAT (40 and a 4.0 GPA) so I think I'll have a pretty good chance at some of the top schools. The thing is that I honestly don't want to end up at the state school that I'm already accepted in because it's not that great and I applied as a direct result of a lack of self confidence because I wasn't familiar with the whole med school thing in the first place.

I don't know how med schools will look at me turning down an admissions at a medical school just to go to a better medical school
-OK you're gonna think I'm schizophrenic but whatever- I think the folks that run the program won't be too happy about me leaving so sometimes I have this nightmare that the director picks up the phone and calls all the other schools that I'm applying to and sabotages my application somehow.

BioPremed said:

Are you for real? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
NonTradMed said:
Are you for real? :confused:
I don't understand what the confusion's about. I'm talking about a school that's probably not even in the top 30. I just feel like if I went to a better school (let's say UCSF hypothetically), I would have more doors open to me in the future, including combined programs. So why do you guys think my wanting to go to a better school outrageous? (or maybe I'm not interpreting your smilies right?)

You do realize that by applying Early Decision, you binded yourself to that particular school?

If you take yourself out of that contract, it WILL make you look bad to that school and to those you will apply to.

Also, it makes people question how important a promise/contract is to you...

BioPremed said:

I'm assuming you are in a combined BS/MD program right?

Anyways, if you are happy with the school you are at right now I don't think I would burn any bridges. If you have to switch schools because of some kind of life changing reason...you're married or all of a sudden have a kid it might be the right thing to do. From your post it doesn't really come across this way though.

Also you'd have to consider how much money you'll be in the hole. Is the Hopkins degree worth $200,000 (or whatever the sum may be) more than your state school MD? You will still be an MD right? Also, don't overlook that you will probably have to start from scratch on contacts you have made as well...are your current contacts going to be pissed about you switching on them? Don't bite from the hand that feeds you--I think following this will get you farther in life than a school name on your resume.

TP

you gonna have a lot of 'splaining to do about declining an acceptance. i feel like "wanting to go to a better school" isn't gonna ring nicely in the other school's ears.

i think regardless of what excuse you come up with, the schools are gonna question why you applied EDP to that school in the first place only to drop it at a later time. the whole reasoning behind EDP is that you REALLY wanna go to that school to begin with.

BioPremed said:
I don't understand what the confusion's about.. So why do you guys think my wanting to go to a better school outrageous? (or maybe I'm not interpreting your smilies right?)

I think everyone's a little put off because

a) It's very difficult for most people to get into ANY medical school, so you're turning down something highly-coveted as it is;

b) The schools you apply to are likely to be put off by the fact that you turned down the sure thing at your state school, which makes them think you may be more interested in prestige than medicine;

and

c) It's probably not the wisest move to leave a sure thing for an unsure thing. What if you didn't get in? There are a lot of people who think they are a sure thing and don't end up where they thought or anywhere at all.

Besides, if you have 40/4.0 and able to continue with your academic success, you're a lot more likely to be top 10%/top 3/AOA at your state school (which will likely get you into your prestigious residency program) than at Harvard/Hopkins/etc where you're competing with the "top brains" in the country.

BioPremed said:

Why did you apply early decision to this school in the first place?

I agree with the others. Go where you got accepted. My question is 4.0 and 40 and you can't spell 'decide'?

Just to clarify guys, this is not EDP so I'm not obligated to attend, I just have to pay back their money. I actually applied to this program right out of high school so it was a while back. Again, I really lacked slef-confidence back then so I wanted to have that assurance there. And it's also not a combined B.S./M.D. program because it will take 8 years regradless, I have to do 4 years for B.S. and if you meet the requirements (Average matriculant MCAT and GPA) then you're in and do 4 years of med school . I'm not posting the real name of the program for the sake of anonymity just in case I decide not to drop out, I don't want my director to find out that I was even thinkinng about it.

I agree with the others. Go where you got accepted. My question is 4.0 and 40 and you can't spell 'decide'?

christi5784 said:
Lol, yea God works in mysterious ways :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if you're for real or if you're just one of those people that just want to hear how great they are, but I'll play along.

First, you shouldn't have applied to a school you didn't want to go to if accepted.

Second, you should already know that a 40 MCAT and 4.0 GPA puts you in the top 0.1% or something of all med school applicants, and that's saying a lot. Unless you really screwed up somewhere else (or everywhere else) on your application -- and I'm talking about discussing how you were abducted by aliens in the PS; swinging an axe and murdering someone at your college as part of your institutional action; or having every professor say how much they really, really hate you in their letters of recommendation type of thing -- you have the keys to the entire kingdom, basically. If you didn't know this before applying, then you're either lying or completely had your head in the sand the past few years (in which case, you have no business applying to medical school).

Third, medical schools will not look kindly on you backing out of an acceptance that you've already had; it shows them your lack of committment to the medical profession. The fact that you're more concerned about the ranking of the medical school instead of getting an education is pretty significant (because it means you are just in it for the prestige, money, etc).

Fourth, you're in the wrong place to be asking this type of question, which is why you get no sympathy. Most people here would give their left nut (or leg if they're a girl) just to get in any med school, let alone a school of their choice. In this, and pretty much any other type of forum, you're considered a "troll". I don't want to be mean, in case you're really that ignorant, but it is the way you're perceived.

Fifth, not getting into a combined degree isn't the end of the world. If academic medicine is really what you want to do, just do your fellowships and post-doc's and everything else you need to do in order to become an academic superstar. That's the beauty of the MD; you have a tremendous amount of options.

In short, back out of that acceptance if you want and let a more deserving candidate take your spot, but just know that even though you have stellar numbers, you run the risk of not getting into any programs at all from this point on. We have all heard stories of how candidates with 38 MCATs and 3.8 GPAs didn't get into any schools (because the top schools thought they were douches and the mid- to lower-tier schools knew that they were considered the safety schools). My advice if you're for real, suck up your mistake and go to the med school. Kick as much ass as you can in it so that you can get into the residencies and anything else that you want after. Be sure to do much more research about what you want to do, though. Think long and hard.

If you're just a troll, then feel free to disregard everything I've just said and accept my congratulations on your stellar numbers. Way to go and best of luck to you in the future. You are truly an exceptional candidate number-wise, but then, I'm sure you already knew that.

BioPremed said:
Just to clarify guys, this is not EDP so I'm not obligated to attend, I just have to pay back their money. I actually applied to this program right out of high school so it was a while back. Again, I really lacked slef-confidence back then so I wanted to have that assurance there. And it's also not a combined B.S./M.D. program because it will take 8 years regradless, I have to do 4 years for B.S. and if you meet the requirements (Average matriculant MCAT and GPA) then you're in and do 4 years of med school . I'm not posting the real name of the program for the sake of anonymity just in case I decide not to drop out, I don't want my director to find out that I was even thinkinng about it.

I don't mean to be harsh, but you're going to get much sympathy on this forum. You've already gotten into medical school, and a lot of us haven't. Bottom line: you should stick with the acceptance you already have.

defrunner said:
Not sure if you're for real or if you're just one of those people that just want to hear how great they are, but I'll play along.

First, you shouldn't have applied to a school you didn't want to go to if accepted.

Second, you should already know that a 40 MCAT and 4.0 GPA puts you in the top 0.1% or something of all med school applicants, and that's saying a lot. Unless you really screwed up somewhere else (or everywhere else) on your application -- and I'm talking about discussing how you were abducted by aliens in the PS; swinging an axe and murdering someone at your college as part of your institutional action; or having every professor say how much they really, really hate you in their letters of recommendation type of thing -- you have the keys to the entire kingdom, basically. If you didn't know this before applying, then you're either lying or completely had your head in the sand the past few years (in which case, you have no business applying to medical school).

Third, medical schools will not look kindly on you backing out of an acceptance that you've already had; it shows them your lack of committment to the medical profession. The fact that you're more concerned about the ranking of the medical school instead of getting an education is pretty significant (because it means you are just in it for the prestige, money, etc).

Fourth, you're in the wrong place to be asking this type of question, which is why you get no sympathy. Most people here would give their left nut (or leg if they're a girl) just to get in any med school, let alone a school of their choice. In this, and pretty much any other type of forum, you're considered a "troll". I don't want to be mean, in case you're really that ignorant, but it is the way you're perceived.

Fifth, not getting into a combined degree isn't the end of the world. If academic medicine is really what you want to do, just do your fellowships and post-doc's and everything else you need to do in order to become an academic superstar. That's the beauty of the MD; you have a tremendous amount of options.

In short, back out of that acceptance if you want and let a more deserving candidate take your spot, but just know that even though you have stellar numbers, you run the risk of not getting into any programs at all from this point on. We have all heard stories of how candidates with 38 MCATs and 3.8 GPAs didn't get into any schools (because the top schools thought they were douches and the mid- to lower-tier schools knew that they were considered the safety schools). My advice if you're for real, suck up your mistake and go to the med school. Kick as much ass as you can in it so that you can get into the residencies and anything else that you want after. Be sure to do much more research about what you want to do, though. Think long and hard.

If you're just a troll, then feel free to disregard everything I've just said and accept my congratulations on your stellar numbers. Way to go and best of luck to you in the future. You are truly an exceptional candidate number-wise, but then, I'm sure you already knew that.

Thanks for the thoughtful and very long answer. I'm sorry if I offended anybody in anyway, I'm really not here to show off, I just wanted to get some opinions about my situation. Although I don't know what a troll is, I can assure you that I will post no more and let this thread die in quiet as I can see what the general consensus is. Thanks again :D

These people are too harsh.

My best friend, he was a genius straight from high school (4.0, 36 ACT)....he got a early acceptance program...with full scholarship. However, when he thought about it.....he really wasn't happy.....the school, the envionment, the lack of prestige got to him...

He applied out with scores like yours.....and got into WASHU with a full ride.

and I can tell you for sure, HE IS SO HAPPY AND GLAD HE DID IT.

Wth those stats, you can prob get a scholarship to the school of your choice. Don't settle, GO WHERE YOU WILL BE HAPPY!!

Just getting into med school doesn't mean that you don't have choices. You worked hard(or you're just smart)....so if you get to have your pick of schools have at it.....

You'll be happier in the end if you go where you like.

Well if you are not binded by contract to the state school, and if all you have to do to rescind from it is to give the scholarship back, then why not? If that's what you really want.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if your state school spreads the word to other schools, especially if you committed to attend there...

Seeing how you really don't seem to be someone who is just showing off, then my apologies if we do come off as harsh. Sorry about the length of my post, and your post, while apparently not trying to be offensive, did kind of come off like that initially because there have been numerous cases of people showing up on this type of forum and proclaiming their greatness (to be sure, some were funny, as in premed machine) and inherent superiority over a class of applicants already overachieving in their own way. As such, people on SDN tend to have a distrust at first over new people that show up and do the same; forgive them. I tried to give you somewhat of a benefit of the doubt and I'm glad to see that I did, because I don't normally respond to trolls.

Anyway, while you definitely should be happy with your acceptance, if you really think you would be happier somewhere else and think that in the long run, it would be better for you, then you should do what your heart tells you to do, not what strangers on a public forum say. My advice at this point is to definitely do your research. Under no circumstances should you tell other schools (or your current school) that you are just looking for a higher-ranking school. Instead, it should be something along the lines of "After having been here long enough for me to be able to accurately gauge my future fit with this fine institution, I feel that I would ultimately be a happier person if I were able to explore other opportunities at this time". In short, try not to burn your bridges but look elsewhere if you can. Definitely be more knowledgeable about whatever you get into though, because even though you're obviously book-smart, you don't seem to have a lot of common sense (don't take that the wrong way though; it isn't meant as an insult). Just be careful and don't step on anyone's toes, because it's not just what you know that's important, it's who you know.

Again, good luck with everything and don't let everyone get to you. Most people with your kind of stats that post on SDN are douches that try to intimidate everyone else.

taylormade44 said:
I say you should just go work for The Home Depot because you're quite the tool

40 = "decent" MCAT :rolleyes:

My advice at this point is to definitely do your research. Under no circumstances should you tell other schools (or your current school) that you are just looking for a higher-ranking school. Instead, it should be something along the lines of "After having been here long enough for me to be able to accurately gauge my future fit with this fine institution, I feel that I would ultimately be a happier person if I were able to explore other opportunities at this time".

Good Advice.

See the thing is.....Just out of high school....people sometimes don't know what they want....they apply to have that assurance of a med school. This doesn't mean that they are condemned to go to that school if they realize as they mature that the school is not fit. Yes med schools may be the same but the envionment, the conditions at the schools, heck the weather is not the same....so

I say take advantage of your situation....because you don't want to have regrets.

christi5784 said:
Well apparently, the brains that got him 4.0/ 40 also gave him the insight to change his post with the right spelling.

To the OT: Now all kidding aside, I have also been recently accepted to a non-binding Early Assurance program and my mindset is almost 180 from yours at the moment; I do not have any dilemmas in deciding where to go in 2 years. The process left me completely thankful of my fate and to all those who have helped me in my endeavors. What you should initially understand is that more than 50% of well-qualified, motivated students get rejected from all of their medical school choices. In light of this, a guaranteed acceptance along with a scholarship such as yours should serve as a humbling token that you have something which almost 20,000 rejected applicants on an annual basis would kill to have. I know that I feel that way.

You should also keep in mind that haphazardly reneging from the acceptance may jeopardize the credibility of future applicants to the program. If everyone simply joined the program to compensate for their lack of self-confidence and applied elsewhere afterwards, then why would your college bother in having such a program at all? For what it's worth, keep in mind that your decision in the end will affect many others beyond yourself. Re-evaluate all of the risks and benefits and ask yourself, will it be worth it?

And oh yeah, don't let your paranoia bury you in a mistake like your lack of self-confidence did in the past; your director, let alone no sane person would go out of his way to shatter a student's dream simply because he legally backed out of a non-binding agreement. Just don't be asking him for a LOR if you do decide to pursue other medical schools.

Damn, nice stats. You must have worked hard. You should try to get some Bs to add character to your app, hehe... j/k.

Anywaaay...

You seem to want to go to a diff school simply for the prestige. I'm sure I would think the same thing w/ those stats ("but all my friends would be like 'damn! harvard?')... but you may be setting yourself up for trouble. Although it's unlikely w/ your stats, what if you don't get into a med school? Do you interview/socialize well? If not, you could be in some deep **** @ the interviews. Do you have good ECs? You need them. Good LORs? You need them.

If you want to experience something else and honestly believe you will be happier elsewhere, by all means do it. I'm sure the directors at your school understand that kids can't be 10000% sure of what they want to do in High School. If you decide to change, make the reason valid and tell your director the truth. I'm sure s/he will understand.

If this was Law School i'd probably advise you to get into the most prestigious school possible. It actually matters where you go to Law School because people are judgemental. Ie: my dad always gets harvard lawyers even if they have barely any experience. However, it's med school. It doesn't matter where you go.

Bottom line: go elsewhere if you think it will make you happy & you're confident that you absolutely will get in.

I don't understand all the negative responses. If you have the option of going to a school you prefer and can afford to pay back your scholarship I think it's a good idea. With your stats you even have a chance at getting a new scholarship for med school.

I know two people who bailed out of BS/MD programs into other med schools and from what I know other schools were happy to have them. You have no contractual obligation to your current school so I don't know why anyone would care.

Of course the size of your scholarship is a major factor. If you're going to owe 100K or something like that I would reconsider.

You should edit the words "early acceptance" from your original post b/c SDN folks often jump to conclusions and write a hostile response without reading the rest of the thread.

I know a lot of people say that going to a certain school for prestige is wrong, but I wonder how many people would turn down an acceptance from a top ten school if it was offered to them today vs. going to their state school which accepted them four months ago. I can tell you that if John Hopkins or Columbia called me today (unlikely since I only applied to my state school), I would have to think twice about my spot at my state school. A shot for a little more prestige would be tempting. But, I would think about things, such as my state school believed in me from the begining, and the people who are there are so friendly and kind. The relationships I have made with the staff are geniune, and to me, that counts for a lot. I would rather be at my state school where they believe that I could do great things vs. being at the bottom of the class at Harvard and looked down upon as a poor student just because I didn't match up.

But if I were in your shoes, and the school completely didn't match me for whatever reason, I would do what would make me the happiest. I would research how much the costs would be to repay the scholarship. I would call a couple of the schools that I planned to apply to and ask if I could have a conversation with the dean of admissions and explain the situation. I would speak with someone that I trusted at my own school and talk about my misgivings about the program. I would look for support both in my school and with my family to help me make it through the application/acceptance proccess. I don't think a school would look too poorly on someone not being fully informed when they finished high school. You grow a lot in college and discover your passions and how to achieve them. When you left high school, you may have never known you wanted to get a PhD. I think any school will understand a change of heart considering how much college can enrich and expand your knowledge of a certain career.

When are you supposed to begin medical school? I hope it is not 2006.

I really wouldn't be so paranoid, you current school's feelings aren't going to be hurt if you leave. I'm sure they'll fill their class just fine, and I can't imagine them going around talking about you to other schools unless you've been a truly outstanding jerk or something. Assuming you have reasonable ECs and all I'm sure you'll get into another school. I understand that you didn't know exactly what you were getting into, and I don't think you'll get nearly as much hate from med schools as you got on this thread. My own mother was in the combined program at University of Florida, but ended up going to Pritzker, and she's never mentioned anyone crying about it. She had to move for my dad to get a job, but still, I just don't think it's that unusual.

Reasons for the negative responses:

1. The OP has exemplary stats, and should be in good shape to get interviews everywhere he/she applies.

2. The OP has a medical school acceptance, yet claims to be in a "very tough" situation.

What I like about SDN is the "tough love" honesty of many of the posters. If someone posts something that is irrational or BS, they will be called out on it.

ADeadLois said:
Reasons for the negative responses:

1. The OP has exemplary stats, and should be in good shape to get interviews everywhere he/she applies.

2. The OP has a medical school acceptance, yet claims to be in a "very tough" situation.

What I like about SDN is the "tough love" honesty of many of the posters. If someone posts something that is irrational or BS, they will be called out on it.

The classic SDN dilemma! Demonstrate confidence regarding strong stats and get attacked for underestimating the randomness of the process. Demonstrate humility and get attacked for being irrational. Ask a question about one's prospects in either case and get attacked for showing off or being insecure.

Some things never change at SDN...

BioPremed said:

Sorry, didn't see that it was a BS/MD program.