Please help me decide if i should take biochem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joepara8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated with a bachelors 2 1/2 years ago. Since then I have taken several of the med school prerequisites. I have finished all of the general sciences including some math as well. My questions is whether or not I should take BIOCHEM this fall. I have already applied for the 2014 entering class and applied to 18 schools. of the 18 schools only 5 require BIOCHEM as a prerequisite. My thought is that if I get accepted into 1 of the 5 schools that require BIOCHEM and that school is indeed the school I would like to attend what it would mean that I still hadnt taken BIOCHEM prior to acceptance...? does that mean that I would be waitlisted until the class had been completed? would it hurt chances at getting scholarship money? Or would I get accepted and everything would be just like I had taken it and would only hurt me if the class had not been completed prior to the first day of class...? or maybe there would be a time constraint saying the class had to be completed prior to the beginning of summer to allow that spot to go to someone else????

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated with a bachelors 2 1/2 years ago. Since then I have taken several of the med school prerequisites. I have finished all of the general sciences including some math as well. My questions is whether or not I should take BIOCHEM this fall. I have already applied for the 2014 entering class and applied to 18 schools. of the 18 schools only 5 require BIOCHEM as a prerequisite. My thought is that if I get accepted into 1 of the 5 schools that require BIOCHEM and that school is indeed the school I would like to attend what it would mean that I still hadnt taken BIOCHEM prior to acceptance...? does that mean that I would be waitlisted until the class had been completed? would it hurt chances at getting scholarship money? Or would I get accepted and everything would be just like I had taken it and would only hurt me if the class had not been completed prior to the first day of class...? or maybe there would be a time constraint saying the class had to be completed prior to the beginning of summer to allow that spot to go to someone else????

I think usually if the school requires it you have to have it completed before you start medical school. But some school's might be different.

I would just take it. For the 5 schools you applied to that require it, they may put you in a hold status, if you don't meet their prerequisites.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes take it this fall if your schedule will allow it. If not wait for spring

I think it will soon be common for med schools to require biochem, so I would take it.

Take it - it'll help you in med school anyway :)

Take it - it'll help you in med school anyway :)

Probably not much.

Usually the school accepts you with the provision that you will meet all requirements (i.e., take any classes) prior to matriculation. Not having taken it shouldn't hurt you provided you have a solid application.

What are the schools that absolutely require it?