MD Please help me decide what to add to my schedule this summer( Plus Question about LORS)!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thenewguy02

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of studying for the MCAT(Taking it Early September), and it is taking up most of my time during the summer, although I have some time to strengthen my EC's, and I would like some help decided what to do.

Currently in College I have:
1 Year Club Baseball
1 Year volunteering with physically/mentally disabled children in a gym and pool setting
1 Summer volunteering at an outpatient nurse clinic
1/2 Year spent volunteering at local Boys and Girls Club
Approximately 50 hours shadowing
Every summer prior to this I have spent all my time working for a local farmer to help pay tuition ( 80-100 hours per week of work)
Approximately 150 hours of research
1/2 Year as a paid support for my college's physics course
1/2 Year as an unpaid support for General Biology

This summer, I am not working on the farm(I help out occasionally if the regular workers cannot make it). I am studying for the MCAT, and continuing my research. During my next school year, I am continuing this, and over the next school year, for a total of around 1000 hours, and I will continue volunteering with the program helping disabled children. This volunteering is approximately 3 hours per week, every week (and will be done for a total of 2 years by the time I graduate in 2016). The last major activity I will have completed is as an Ambassador for my college. This will involve me traveling to events, interacting with prospective students, current student, and alumni, as well as a considerable amount of public speaking. There is a small group of Ambassadors who volunteer to cover events. This, along with research and volunteering, will expand to fill my spare time that I have during my senior year. As such, more clinical volunteering/ shadowing will not be possible during the school year. If it is relevant, my GPA is 3.99, and I have only a few classes left, so it will likely stay put. This will culminate with me possibly graduating in the spring of 2016. Since I am taking a gap year, I may choose to offset graduation, so that I can continue working as an undergraduate researcher, and I would like to work as a scribe during this year, but this will all occur after I have submitted my application.

I have two activities in mind for the summer, but realistically, I will only have time for one:

1) Return to the outpatient clinic and volunteer weekly
2) Shadow a Pediatrician.

Which will likely help my application more?

I also have a quick question regarding letters of recommendation, how critical is it to have one from a physician? I currently do not have a letter from this, and have no physicians I can ask. My dream medical school is U.S.U.H.S., and I want to practice in a rural area after the military.

What my LOR's look like:

General Physics Professor
General Biology Professor that I worked with in her lecture
PI from my Lab
Teaching Pedagogy course instructor(Also Director of the campus Writing Center)
The farmer who I've spent most of my summers working for(I want to practice rural medicine, and will be applying to schools portraying this, as such I feel that this letter can only help me)

I also plan to ask the head of my college's Ambassador program, once it is closer to my application time.

With these above letters, will a letter from a physician add much to my profile?

Members don't see this ad.

Dont Post in WAMC if you your question isnt regarding what your chances of admission to medical school are lol

Sorry, I must have mixed up my forum pages when I went to post. Is there a way I can delete the thread and repost, or an option to move it?