Please help me decide!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mana90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
I just got my B.S degree in molecular and cellular biology and and I want to continue my education in psychology, I'm very interested in neuropsychology and I have passed biology courses which are needed(like biochemistry and organic chemistry and physiology). Now I can't decide whether I should choose a master program in cognitive science which has some similar courses with neuropsychology or I should choose a master program in clinical psychology. I don't know which one will increase my chance for PhD in neuropsychology.
Could you guys help me with that?
thanks a lot!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Do you mean clinical neuropsychology or pure neuroscience research? Clinical neuropsychology will require a doctorate in clinical psychology, a pre-doc internship (APA accredited required for most neuropsych fellowships/jobs), and neuropsych post-doc.

Since you are interested in neuropsychology, which will require a doctorate, I would probably go with the program in cognitive science as long as there is somewhat of an emphasis on psychology. Masters programs in clinical psychology aren't usually designed to be stepping stones into PhD programs. If the cognitive science program you are looking at does not include a psych component, you may want to look into some general psych or experimental psych programs.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi
I just got my B.S degree in molecular and cellular biology and and I want to continue my education in psychology, I'm very interested in neuropsychology and I have passed biology courses which are needed(like biochemistry and organic chemistry and physiology). Now I can't decide whether I should choose a master program in cognitive science which has some similar courses with neuropsychology or I should choose a master program in clinical psychology. I don't know which one will increase my chance for PhD in neuropsychology.
Could you guys help me with that?
thanks a lot!! :)

It would clarify things if you could describe your ideal first job after grad school, where would you work and what would you be doing there?

Do you mean clinical neuropsychology or pure neuroscience research? Clinical neuropsychology will require a doctorate in clinical psychology, a pre-doc internship (APA accredited required for most neuropsych fellowships/jobs), and neuropsych post-doc.
I think I like clinical neuropsychology more, I don't want to be a full-time researcher, I like to do both.

Since you are interested in neuropsychology, which will require a doctorate, I would probably go with the program in cognitive science as long as there is somewhat of an emphasis on psychology. Master programs in clinical psychology aren't usually designed to be stepping stones into PhD programs. If the cognitive science program you are looking at does not include a psych component, you may want to look into some general psych or experimental psych programs.
This program mainly offer courses in cognitive psychology, some basic courses in neuropsychology and research methods in cognitive science and cognitive modeling. is it enough or I should pass more relevant courses? I have not pass any psychology courses before(like general psychology or developmental psychology), Wouldn't that cause any problems?

It would clarify things if you could describe your ideal first job after grad school, where would you work and what would you be doing there?
I like to work at hospitals or clinics or rehab centers, since I read that a neuropsychologist can run brain assessments there. I think between clinical neuropsychology and cognitive neuropsychology, I choose clinical.
So now you recommend me to choose a clinical program or a cognitive program for master?

This program mainly offer courses in cognitive psychology, some basic courses in neuropsychology and research methods in cognitive science and cognitive modeling. is it enough or I should pass more relevant courses? I have not pass any psychology courses before(like general psychology or developmental psychology), Wouldn't that cause any problems?

It depends on the program. It's good that you will have a course in research methods, but many doctoral programs require courses in stats, psychopathology, developmental psych, etc as well. Try looking at doctoral programs you would be interested in going to and make sure you could meet their requirements. If not, general psychology with a thesis on a neuropsych topic may be a better fit for this reason.