Please help me deciding which schools to apply to

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dominiq521

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. So I am applying this cycle and would like some advice on narrowing down my list of schools to apply to. First things first, my stats: 26 MCAT (…I know, I know, it sucks), GPA > 3.7, extensive extra curriculars (research, volunteering, shadowing, ER scribing etc.), and URM. Yes I will be applying DO as well, but this post is strictly to narrow down my MD list. I’ve gone through and made of list of schools taking into consideration MCAT, and out of state acceptances, and a list of wishful thinking schools (which I might just toss altogether). If anyone has any input on which schools are not worth my time because my chances are extremely slim, please let me know! BTW I’m a FL resident, hence all the FL schools
FIU
FSU
FAU
USF
UCF
University of Illinois
University of Utah
University of Kansas
Medical University of South Carolina
University of South Carolina
University of South Carolina- Greenville
Loma Linda University
Michigan State University
University of Oklahoma
Marshall University
West Virginia U
University of Alabama
Commonwealth Medical College
University of Arkansas
Wright State University
University of Missouri-Kansas City
WISHFUL THINKING Schools
George Washington University
Virginia Commonwealth University
University of Washington
Wayne State University
University of Vermont
University of Missouri- Columbia
Medical College of Wisconsin
LSU in New Orleans
New York Medical College
Rush Medical College of Rush University
Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University
Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine at Quinnipiac University

Members don't see this ad.

I got a 26 on my first MCAT attempt in 2013, even though I have a 3.95 GPA. I read very slowly and couldn't finish the sections. I have a documented learning disability for slow processing speed. With an MCAT accommodation for a bit of extra time, I was able to complete the section, and got a 34 the second time in Nov 2014. With your GPA, the low MCAT doesn't quite jibe. I highly recommend you try the MCAT again (sorry it will be the new MCAT). Reflect on the MCAT performance, what happened that day, what was your prep, could you do it differently the next time to get a better outcome?

I didn't attempt to apply with a 26, as your chances are pretty slim with that combination. Why waste an entire cycle when the efforts and money would be better spent on working on the MCAT? Best wishes to you.

Hey guys. So I am applying this cycle and would like some advice on narrowing down my list of schools to apply to. First things first, my stats: 26 MCAT (…I know, I know, it sucks), GPA > 3.7, extensive extra curriculars (research, volunteering, shadowing, ER scribing etc.), and URM. Yes I will be applying DO as well, but this post is strictly to narrow down my MD list. I’ve gone through and made of list of schools taking into consideration MCAT, and out of state acceptances, and a list of wishful thinking schools (which I might just toss altogether). If anyone has any input on which schools are not worth my time because my chances are extremely slim, please let me know! BTW I’m a FL resident, hence all the FL schools
FIU
FSU
FAU
USF
UCF
University of Illinois
University of Utah
University of Kansas
Medical University of South Carolina
University of South Carolina
University of South Carolina- Greenville

Loma Linda University
Michigan State University
University of Oklahoma
Marshall University

West Virginia U
University of Alabama
Commonwealth Medical College
University of Arkansas
Wright State University
University of Missouri-Kansas City
WISHFUL THINKING Schools
George Washington University
Virginia Commonwealth University
University of Washington
Wayne State University
University of Vermont
University of Missouri- Columbia

Medical College of Wisconsin
LSU in New Orleans
New York Medical College
Rush Medical College of Rush University
Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University
Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine at Quinnipiac University
If I were you, I would delete all of the schools that I bolded. They either barely take OOS people or are extreme reaches (Definitely U Wash). Add UF and the schools I didn't bold are okay in my opinion.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You said you were URM. What group do you represent? A 26 is pretty low for MD and your GPA is about average. Do you have the MSAR? If not you should buy the online version! You have an awful lot of OOS public schools on your list. That may not be smart! You need to research and see how realistic your list is.

I got a 26 on my first MCAT attempt in 2013, even though I have a 3.95 GPA. I read very slowly and couldn't finish the sections. I have a documented learning disability for slow processing speed. With an MCAT accommodation for a bit of extra time, I was able to complete the section, and got a 34 the second time in Nov 2014. With your GPA, the low MCAT doesn't quite jibe. I highly recommend you try the MCAT again (sorry it will be the new MCAT). Reflect on the MCAT performance, what happened that day, what was your prep, could you do it differently the next time to get a better outcome?

I didn't attempt to apply with a 26, as your chances are pretty slim with that combination. Why waste an entire cycle when the efforts and money would be better spent on working on the MCAT? Best wishes to you.

That was my second attempt. I am Hispanic and English was my second language. Verbal was my biggest struggle.

If I were you, I would delete all of the schools that I bolded. They either barely take OOS people or are extreme reaches (Definitely U Wash). Add UF and the schools I didn't bold are okay in my opinion.
Thank you! I appreciate your opinion.

Use the MSAR and look at schools with stats that are somewhat comparable to yours. As a URM you'll have a bit more leeway and will have a decent shot at schools that you might consider "reaches" by just looking at the stats initially.

Is there any chance you can retake your MCAT? Do you think you could do better? You still have plenty of time assuming you're applying for the upcoming cycle.

Regardless, the MSAR is what you need - it'll be worth the $20 or whatever it costs now to help you choose schools.

You said you were URM. What group do you represent? A 26 is pretty low for MD and your GPA is about average. Do you have the MSAR? If not you should buy the online version! You have an awful lot of OOS public schools on your list. That may not be smart! You need to research and see how realistic your list is.
I am Hispanic and I do have MSAR. Do you suggest adding some private schools?

Use the MSAR and look at schools with stats that are somewhat comparable to yours. As a URM you'll have a bit more leeway and will have a decent shot at schools that you might consider "reaches" by just looking at the stats initially.

Is there any chance you can retake your MCAT? Do you think you could do better? You still have plenty of time assuming you're applying for the upcoming cycle.

Regardless, the MSAR is what you need - it'll be worth the $20 or whatever it costs now to help you choose schools.

I have taken the MCAT twice. Both times, I have scored much lower than what I was averaging on practice tests. I know I am much better than my score, but test day comes, and I don't know what happens. I am just not going to put myself through it again. I rather apply to lower tier MD schools and DO schools.

I have taken the MCAT twice. Both times, I have scored much lower than what I was averaging on practice tests. I know I am much better than my score, but test day comes, and I don't know what happens. I am just not going to put myself through it again. I rather apply to lower tier MD schools and DO schools.

Fair enough - I didn't see that post where you said you had taken it twice already. I agree that not taking it again would be a good idea.

Regardless, as a URM your MCAT scores will probably not hold you back as much as you think they might. We interview with some frequency URM applicants that have <30 MCATs that have a legitimate shot of getting accepted assuming they otherwise have strong applications.

Yes add private schools. But I'm not sure Colombian counts as URM. I think as far as South American countries it is up to the schools. But don't count on being considered URM. Is that MCAT your second attempt? What was your first score? You realize schools can see all of your scores don't you?

Colombian :)
South American Hispanics aren't generally considered URM (it will vary by school), but the fact that you speak Spanish will be a definite plus.

edit: candbgirl beat me to it

Fair enough - I didn't see that post where you said you had taken it twice already. I agree that not taking it again would be a good idea.

Regardless, as a URM your MCAT scores will probably not hold you back as much as you think they might. We interview with some frequency URM applicants that have <30 MCATs that have a legitimate shot of getting accepted assuming they otherwise have strong applications.
That's music to my ears. My MCAT is really the only dip in my application. All I need is an interview to prove it. (In a modest way) I know I can shine.

South American Hispanics aren't generally considered URM (it will vary by school), but the fact that you speak Spanish will be a definite plus.

edit: candbgirl beat me to it
I was unaware. Thank you for informing me. Just read it is mainly for Mexican-Americans and PRs. Got it :)