Braden

5+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2013
Los Angeles
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi There,

I have taken all of the pre-requisites of the medical school at a local community college with 3.47 (pre-med requisites, SCIENCE GPA) and got into UCLA to pursue my bachelor's degree.
Which one you believe is a safer path to get secondary and interview at top medical schools?
1) major in Biology, that will end up with a 3.50 Science and Overall GPA ????
OR
2) major in History, that will end up with a 3.62 Science and Overall GPA ????

Thanks,

Aug 30, 2013
A history major is probably more interesting to med school AdComms than Biology. The sGPA and cGPA will play a bigger role than UG major in the decision, though I don't think there's that big of a difference between a 3.5 and 3.6. If you could pull a 3.8 science GPA with a History major, that's much better.

Good luck finding clinical research or paid work as a History major, though. While not impossible, it poses more of a hurdle than a Bio degree would.

organdonor

7+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2009
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
3.62? That seems like a pretty specific speculation there. History may seem like the easier major but if it is something you don't enjoy you will not be motivated. You will perform best in a major you are interested in. Choose accordingly. Don't do a biology major simply because it will prepare you for medical school; it won't.

youmed

7+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2011
California
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi There,

I have taken all of the pre-requisites of the medical school at a local community college with 3.47 (pre-med requisites, SCIENCE GPA) and got into UCLA to pursue my bachelor's degree.
Which one you believe is a safer path to get secondary and interview at top medical schools?
OR

Thanks,
Choose the path that will bring you most happiness.
Good luck finding clinical research or paid work as a History major, though. While not impossible, it poses more of a hurdle than a Bio degree would.
And +1.

nedsybedsy

5+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2012
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Choose the path that will bring you most happiness.
And +1.
+1

Also, I don't think this one decision about a major will be a make or break for secondaries and interviews. It's a bit more holistic than that. Choose the major that will give you upper divs you enjoy.

xffan624

5+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hi There,

OR

Thanks,
A safer route for top medical schools is not taking all your prereqs at a community college. You are still fine for medical schools in general, but taking pre-reqs at a community college and not acing them, does not scream top medical school material. Also neither one of your proposed GPA's. My recommendation: give up on the top medical school obsession and just focus on getting into an MD school, until you actually have the stats to justify being choosy.

Aug 8, 2013
Michigan
Status
Medical Student
You should complete whatever major you are more interested in. Regardless of which major you choose, find 2-3 of your worst classes (poorest grades) out of your pre-reqs and take an upper level course in similar areas/departments to show that you can handle more difficult coursework.

Also, unless you have some interesting 'oither' thing to put on your application (URM, low SES, some other personal bit) then you probably shouldn't bank on top schools.

pietachok

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Taking prerequisites at community college after completing your undergrad is pretty normal given life circumstances & finances, but still puts you at a disadvantage w some schools. Choosing to take all of your prerequisites at community college when you were aiming to transfer to a four year program is poor planning for someone trying to prove he can hack medical school (let alone a top one).

OP, you need to take a full, rigorous courseload including sciences at UCLA and maintain a good gpa to prove yourself. If you can do that with a history degree, that's fine. Get the degree that makes you happiest without jeopardizing your gpa.