Please help me! I'm at a complete dead end

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorFeelGood

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello people, how are you? ok this is my situation. i graduated from college with a 3.6. volunteered, research, everything the whole nine yards. i took the mcat and got a 3-5-6...english is my 3rd language.

its too late to take the mcat again, and im not gonna apply with those scores. so that means i'll retake them april 2002. which means if i get in, i'll start fall 2003. however, what do i do in the meantime? i was thinking of getting a master's degree in basic medical science's.

what do u guys think?
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I know how you must feel about your prospects. There is never a dead end, just lost hope. There are people in medicine (my dad included) who have resurrected from the ashes, so to speak. So first thing: chin up!

It sounds like the mcat is your major hurdle. Find out why you did so badly. Was it the reading or something else? If it's the reading, then look into receiving tutoring or enrolling in remedial ESL classes, or whatever will help you in that area. Anyway, the point is to figure out what's keeping you from getting the results you want, then remedy that problem.

Just curious, is the 3.6 from a US college or are you a foreign graduate?

You also asked what to do during your year off. The answer is: see what you are passionate about and pursue it-- whatever it is. If it's doing research, great. Or it could be sailing the America's cup, or teaching in another country, or just whatever. If you think you are competitive in other respects than your mcat score, then look at this year as your last chance to pursue something that you won't be able to do once you're in med school.

Good luck!

I would mainly focus on MCAT right now and worry about what to do with your year off later. I agree with kareniw, I would do whatever it takes to understand the english language better and get my score up on MCAT, starting as soon as possible. There's never a dead end, maybe just the end of the paved road. But I'm sure you can tough it out, if this is your heart's desire. Good luck.