Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

please help me in ranking

Discussion in 'Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties' started by panipuri, Dec 18, 2008.

1. panipuri

panipuri resident
    7+ Year Member

all are of internal medicine

usc, ca
    loma linda, ca
    suny at stony brook.NY
    newyork medical college westchester,NY
    kansas university,KS
    east tennessee university,TN
    st.lukes roosevelt,NY
    winthrop university, Ny
    michigan state university, lansing, MI
    wright state university, Dayton, OH
    howard university, DC
    western pennsylavania hospital, pittsburgh, PA
    ucsf fresno, ca
    kern bakersfield, ca
    advocate christ, oaklawn, IL
    jersey shore, NJ
    rosalind franklin, IL
    aurora, WI
    st.joseph, NJ
    monmouth, NJ
    st.john, detroit, MI
    coney island, ny
    upmc mckeesport, PA
    new hanover, NC

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jdh71

jdh71 epiphany at nine thousand six hundred feet
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    24 programs? No way you are interviewing at ALL of them?

What do you want to do when you grow up? That would be helpful information. If you have any interest in fellowship, obvious rank the Uni programs higher . . . I don't know all of the programs on that list, but I think the top of the list looks like this . . .

1. Kansas
    2. Loma Linda
    3. USC

Everything else is definitely lower in my opinion, the next pack would probably have Fresno and Mich State near the top . . . everything else is unknown or equivocal in my book.

(With the coming crap storm to the economy I'd stay out of detroit and dayton . . . to name a few)

Good luck.

4. gutonc

gutonc No Meat, No Treat
    Administrator Physician PhD 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I would add Stony Brook and SLR to the second group of programs. I don't know much about the rest of the programs other than to say that Coney Island shouldn't even be on your list. That place is a horror show.

5. panipuri

panipuri resident
    7+ Year Member

thanks a lot
    I am img with greencard and interested in cardiology..
    can you rank me keeping cardiology and img in mind.

is it true that as an img if i match into a program where there are more amgs i wl be neglected for the fellowship coz read that reputation of a program is based on how many amgs match for fellowship and read that program director does his best to match amgs first?how far is this true?

shd i select a prog that has more imgs and takes internal candidates for fellowship or is it the reputation of prog that matters?

kansas or usc or loma linda which one is best?

thanks for suggestion

6. viostorm

viostorm Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I would look at where the fellows in the program you are interested in trained, and if they are a FMG. This is not always available but frequently programs will post who their fellows are and where they did their residency.

7. boyz of 4d

boyz of 4d Proud Member of 4d
    10+ Year Member

I'm a 4th year student at NYMC. WMC is composed mostly of FMG, and they usually retain 2 each year of their own for their cardio fellowship (of the 4 spots). I'd say rep wise in NY its better than both stonybrook and SLR. From what I've seen, Dr. Gutwein (the prog dir), and Dr. Peterson (former PD, now vice chair of med) really go to bat for their residents in obtaining fellowship. After doing my sub - internship at the program, I really do feel like this is a program on the rise. In addition, they have 2 big guys for cardio who you will have the opportunity to work with if you pursue residency there (I know this because even as a student I was able to work and get published with both). These 2 are Dr. William Frishman (he was involved with the Women's Health Initiative) and Dr. Wilbert Aronow (he's a publishing machine, pubmed him). If you have any more specific questions about WMC feel free to PM me. Best of luck.

#6 boyz of 4d, Dec 19, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  8. dragonfly99

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    OP,
    There isn't any objective system to "rank these programs". If you want to do cardiology, I basically agree with the above that it's better to do residency at a university hospital (USC, Loma Linda, U of Kansas would fit the bill and probably most or all of the others that other folks on here mentioned). I don't think you can go to that many interviews and probably shouldn't need to to match in medicine, but I'm not really sure of how many an IMG needs to go to to have a very high chance to match. I would think 15 or so should be enough but that is just a guess.

Also, I want to mention East Tenn State U. They have a medical school there and it has a primary care focus. I have met students from there and they are very nice and I think the school has respect in its regional area though not necessarily nationally well know. I don't know much about the IM residency but would think it would be decent. I haven't heard anything about them treating residents badly, but I can't say for sure. The ETSU hospital is a university hospital (directly affiliated with ETSU medical school) - it's a teaching hospital. The town is not really big so might be a culture shock if you're used to big cities. I doubt that you'd be the only FMG/IMG there. I think it's probably a mix of local people (i.e. former ETSU medical students from Tennessee) and IMG/FMG's. Atul Gawande, and Indian physician, wrote a book about taking care of AIDS patients there back in the 1980's ("My Own Country"). I believe they may have their own cardiology fellowship, but not 100% sure...you could check.

If you want to do cardiology, would try to check out some of these programs and whether any have an affiliated cardiology fellowship, as a way to perhaps narrow down your list of where to interview. Also, realize that you need to think about whether you need/want to live in a big city vs. not, and other things about whether you can be happy @ a particular residency.

9. dragonfly99

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think that aurora place in Wisconsin has a pretty big cardiology fellowship, and it takes IMG's. I don't know anything about the residency or the cards fellowship, though.

10. pulvinar

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Just wanted to correct the author's name. It's Abraham Verghese who wrote "My Own Country." I'm a big Atul Gawande fan and have read his books, so I was sure this couldn't be his. :)

11. panipuri

panipuri resident
    7+ Year Member

12. dragonfly99

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yes, you are right...I mean Abraham Verghese, not Gawande. I believe Gawande is a surgeon. Verghese did IM and then an ID fellowship. Although at times he seems like a self-absorbed young male, I do think that "My Own Country" is a great read. It's starting to seem dated, but was an eye-opener about trying to treat AIDS in the era before they had good antiretroviral treatments. It also gives insight into living in E. Tennessee in the 1980's as an immigrant doctor.

13. dragonfly99

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    wow, panipuri.
    Still, this is USC and I would be very, very surprised if they didn't get their fellowship program restored ASAP...like probably before next July 1st. I would still rank USC IM residency higher than the vast majority (or maybe all) of the other programs on your list.

14. bonadoc

bonadoc Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Kansas University would not be high on my list. They have a really poor track record of training residents. Generally their grads are thought to be the weakest when entering fellowships or general practice in the surrounding community.

15. panipuri

panipuri resident
    7+ Year Member

thanks everyone

bonadoc or dragonfly or anyone... please then rank atleast top 10 prog for me...
    i wl be really thankful to you

16. iatrosB

iatrosB trying not to kill anyone
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    They have a pretty kick-***** cards program though

17. panipuri

panipuri resident
    7+ Year Member

thanks a lot people...
    yes kansas is in top 50 us news best cardiac hospital..no idea abt fellowship..
    just tell me people which is more reputed- loma linda or usc??

18. bof

bof Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student

There is not a significant difference between the two programs in my opinion (in terms of YOU getting a cards fellowship after residency). Why don't you interview and see which one you like?

boF

19. iatrosB

iatrosB trying not to kill anyone
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Seriously dude, go where you'll be happiest. You won't do good in a place you're not happy.

20. panipuri

panipuri resident
    7+ Year Member

i went to all those top3 places you mentioned

usc--sucked big time...malignant program
    lomalinda--very good university, bt its small hospital compared to other big univ i have seen..bt yes its in southern california...:)
    kansas--best prog...bt its away frm california...

so m really confused of which one to rank as no.1--lomalinda or kansas..:(

21. vrandhawa01

2+ Year Member

im trying to decide loma linda or usc :oops:( so many different responses from everyone. i know usc is "malignant" but can it really be THAT bad?:scared:

22. panipuri

panipuri resident
    7+ Year Member

call schedule q4 for 10 months
    43000$ stipend in pgy1-wnt suffice to survive in losangeles
    location is not good
    no resident evaluation..its mainly from portfolio
    lots of research but residents hardly get time
    la traffic

23. bonadoc

bonadoc Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

From what I have heard they don't even have the best fellowship program in Kansas City. If they are that good why aren't the best in their own city considering there are only 2 programs there?