Please help me make a comprehensive list of the best DAT study materials!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vlct0ria

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm applying for the 2010 cycle and plan on taking the DAT around May-June this year, soo I'm studying all this semester while taking classes.

Anyway, I am getting together a list of ALL the study materials I will need so I can try to get it all at once. I know there are tons of threads on here about the pros/cons of different study materials, but its all scattered info so I was hoping to get together a comprehensive list of the best study guides. Also, I know the materials can add up $$$-wise so I am trying to get an estimate of how much I need to spend! I already have the Kaplan blue book and Barrons DAT (heard its not any good, but I got it awhile ago just to flip through). If there are any helpful books/guides you used for particular sections of the DAT, please share also!

To make this less about just me and more helpful to everyone on here, please provide some info! :
-books/programs used
-which you thought were most helpful, least helpful
-which prepared you most for the real DAT, which were harder/easier
-if possible/if you remember, the COST of each item!

Thanks so much in advance and I really appreciate any and all responses!

-Victoria ;)

Members don't see this ad.

The Kaplan book is great for everything (except it's a little lacking in bio). Destroyer is a must have. It's incredible for OC, GC, and Bio (I haven't done the Destroyer QR questions yet). Cliffs AP Bio is the most recommended bio book on this site from what I've seen. Crack the DAT: PAT (abbreviated here CDP) is the most accurate PAT practice. Topscore and Achiever I'd recommend when you're just about done studying. They're just practice tests and can show you where you stand and what your weaknesses are. I hope that helps. Just note, I haven't taken the DAT yet so take my advice with a grain of salt...

Thanks yankees27th.

Also another question for everyone- do you all recommend taking a full-length practice DAT before studying to determine where my strengths/weaknesses are?

kaplan big blue book
princeton review hyperlearning mcat series (biological and physical sciences books)
ap cliffs biology
dat destroyer
-these are the books i used to study for the DAT. I started off with the KBB but found it to be slacking in the biology section so i turned my attn to the princeton review book. I thought the princeton review books were great for biology(best physiology section) and gen chem. I used AP cliffs to fill in w/the non-physio sections(ecology, evolution, etc.) a Orgo was ok, but I really benefited from the road maps in dat destroyer and the explanations to the questions. When you use destroyer, make sure you read the explanations in the back. they were really helpful. good luck studying and if u have any more questions feel free to pm.

Members don't see this ad :)
Biology - Cliffs AP (ISBN 9780470097649) $15, Destroyer $150
GChem - Kaplan BB (1419551949) $50, Destroyer
OChem - Organic Chemistry as a Second Language (9780470129296) $35, Kaplan BB, Destroyer
PAT - Crack DAT PAT $100
RC - Read a science article every day FREE!!
QR - Crack DAT Math $80
Supplemental - Columbia Review High-Yield Biology (068319069X) $~$30 used

Simulations Tests (to get you in the mood)
Topscore Pro for the DAT $50
DAT Achiever $50

Aceing the DAT....PRICELESS =)

WHAT TO STAY AWAY FROM
Crack the Science - doesn't resemble realistic DAT questions
Biology - Kaplan BB (too easy, not enough detail)
PAT - Kaplan BB (same reason, too easy)
QR - Destroyer (doesn't give you "time pressure")

Last edited:
Kaplan Blue Book - Good for all sections, but I didn't use it for QR
Schaums Bio - Too detailed IMO
DAT Destroyer - I found the Organic Chem roadmaps very helpful
Topscore - I did the tests after studying, and it helped me with my timing

Biology - Cliffs AP (ISBN 9780470097649), Columbia Review High-Yield Biology (068319069X), Destroyer
GChem - Kaplan BB (1419551949), Destroyer
OChem - Organic Chemistry as a Second Language (9780470129296), Kaplan BB, Destroyer
PAT - Crack DAT PAT
RC - Read a science article every day
QR - Crack DAT Math

Simulations Tests (to get you in the mood)
Topscore Pro for the DAT
DAT Achiever

WHAT TO STAY AWAY FROM
Crack the Science - doesn't resemble realistic DAT questions
Biology - Kaplan BB (too easy, not enough detail)
PAT - Kaplan BB (same reason, too easy)
QR - Destroyer (doesn't give you "time pressure")

-------------------------------------------------
where can i get the Crack DAT PAT for cheap? Is it possible for share if I get the $200 bundle from the crackdat website? It's so expensive =(

someone please help

My first time taking the DAT I used:
Kaplan Book- ok if you need a general over view
Kaplan online course- too much money, doesn't help
Topscore Pro- great for practice exams, give yourself the time frame to complete them all to get used to timing and what a test will be on a computer screen

Second time I took the DAT, my Org Chem went up 4 points. Everything else also went up except my PAT fell from a 23 to a 21.
I used: Destroyer. Know everthing in the book, I found questions from my first test in it. The roadmaps in the Organic portion are a must.
Schaums Biology review- only $15, worth the cost. It's a little too detailed but it's a good crammer if you didn't take a lot of bio electives.

I got accepted for '09 and I believe I couldn't of done it without the Destroyer and Topscore Pro

Here is What I did:

10 weeks, 8-10 hours per day, every day.

Kaplan course+ Online material (very impt)
Top Score
DAT Destroyer
DAT Achiever
Campbell's Biology book
I found them all very helpfull

AA: 20 TS:21 PAT:22

Kaplan Blue book + Online Material
Cliffs AP Bio

6 weeks 4-7 hours a day
last week 10-12 hrs

20 AA/TS

What I've tried:
Kaplan Course - Not helpful
DAT Destroyer - Much more helpful, but very hard

What I'm trying:
UMKC School of Dentistry DAT Prep Course - In March
- hopefully improves my understanding of materials and scores

topscore and dat achiever worked for me to get a 22 on RC. I went over them multiple times just for the sake of building up speed.