MD & DO Please help me make a school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bIack

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am going to be a re-applicant for this upcoming cycle, and I was having trouble on deciding where to apply. I have access to the MSAR, but I am having trouble interpreting the scores because of the broad range.

Stats:
GPA: 3.65 at the moment (applied with a 3.63 and I expect it to be a 3.66 by graduation)
BCMP GPA: 3.68 at the moment (applied with the same and I expect it to be a 3.71 by graduation)
MCAT score: 508 (127 c&p, 127 cars, 128 b&b, and 126 ps)
Research: 1500 (applied with 1200 and expect to have it around 1800 by graduation. I also have been an author in a paper published after my application and expecting another one by March)
Clinical volunteering: 600 hours (no change since my previous application)
Nonclinical volunteering: 16 hours (I had zero my previous application. I am now regularly volunteering at a food pantry since January for 4 hours a week)
Shadowing: 40 hours on two specialties (I havent been able to find a doctor to shadow since my last application, though I am planning to find another soon)

Schools I applied to last time
All Texas schools excluding Baylor
Penn State
Rosalind Franklin
SUNY Downstate

I want this to be the last year I have to apply, so I am willing to apply to as many schools as needed. Thank you for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

What is state is your legal residence? Are you URM with a history of service to that community? Do you speak Spanish or another foreign language?Make a list and post it. People will help you fine tune it.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

What is state is your legal residence? Are you URM with a history of service to that community? Do you speak Spanish or another foreign language?Make a list and post it. People will help you fine tune it.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app
I have lived in Texas my whole life, I am not an URM (I am south asian), I do not speak a foreign language, and my list is so far the same as the ones I have applied to in the previous cycle (I am still not sure which ones I should add on top).

Members don't see this ad :)
I did not receive any interview invites this cycle.
Apply to all the Texas MD schools again. You could try some of the newer OOS private MD schools such as Quinnipiac, Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan. Tulane also accepts a few Texans. Seton Hall and Roseman may also open for 2018. I suggest applying to 10 or more DO schools also and you have 2 in Texas. You are competitive for all DO schools with your stats. You may need a DO LOR for some schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Apply to all the Texas MD schools again. You could try some of the newer OOS private MD schools such as Quinnipiac, Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan. Tulane also accepts a few Texans. Seton Hall and Roseman may also open for 2018. I suggest applying to 10 or more DO schools also and you have 2 in Texas. You are competitive for all DO schools with your stats. You may need a DO LOR for some schools.
Thanks for the response. I plan on applying DO as well, but what do you think my shot is at a MD school this cycle?

What did you do to significantly improve your application over last cycle. The schools, especially those you are a re applicant at want to see significant improvement. Are you sure your LORs are good? Any red flags? Seems strange you didn't get any IIs from Texas schools. I don't know anything about the Texas process though.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

What did you do to significantly improve your application over last cycle. The schools, especially those you are a re applicant at want to see significant improvement. Are you sure your LORs are good? Any red flags? Seems strange you didn't get any IIs from Texas schools. I don't know anything about the Texas process though.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Thanks for the response! My LORS should be good, and I do not have any red flags as far as I know. I was an author on a published paper, slightly increased my GPA, increased my research hours, and started non clinical volunteering since last cycle.

I agree. Your chances outside of TX for MD is poor, because most Texans stay in Texas, and the other MD schools know this. DO schools are more forgiving.

I too am very surprised by your lack of success. You might have a lethal red flag of an LOR, or your essays are poorly written.

You lack of interviews is concerning which is why I recommend applying to DO schools also.

I agree. Your chances outside of TX for MD is poor, because most Texans stay in Texas, and the other MD schools know this. DO schools are more forgiving.

I too am very surprised by your lack of success. You might have a lethal red flag of an LOR, or your essays are poorly written.
Thank you for your response! My LORS should be neutral at worst, or at least I think so. I have letters from my PI (whom I worked under for 3 years), my volunteer coordinator for the hospital I volunteered at for 4ish years, and two science professors in classes I earned an A in. As for essays, they might not be the best, but I do not feel that they are poor (I am rewriting them from scratch however).