Please help me narrow down my list of dental schools!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kavity

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.476 oGPA, 3.243 sGPA, planning to take the DATs early August and I'm not sure if I'm picking the appropriate schools to submit my app to.
I suffered a personal tragedy in my freshman year that took a toll on my grades (when I took Gen Chem I and II, as well as my math courses). However, since then, I retook Chem I (with an A) and Chem II (with a B+). I also got straight A's in Bio I and II, Organic Chem I and II, Biochem, Cell Biology and Neuroscience, and three 4.0 semesters. I also have a publication coming out based on my research. Do you guys think this upward trend will be considered, or will they scrap my application based on the numbers I present? Without freshman year, both my science and overall GPAs would be around 3.76. Any advice on which schools I should apply to with my stats would be much appreciated.

I am a NJ resident, but I'm thinking of applying to the following schools. Any advice on which ones to add/cut from the list? Thanks, guys!

1. Rutgers (UMDNJ)
2. New York University: College of Dentistry
3. Boston University: Goldman School of Dental Medicine
4. LECOM
5. Roseman
6. Tufts University: School of Dental Medicine
7. Nova Southeastern U: College of Dental Medicine
8. University at Buffalo: School of Dental Medicine
9. Arizona School of Dentistry And Oral (Minority favored school???)
10. Western University: College of Dental Medicine
11. Midwestern University
12. U of Nevada Las Vegas
13. U of Pacific: Dugoni School of Dental Medicine
14. Temple University: Kornberg School of Dentistry (minority/women favored?)
15. Case School of Dental Medicine
16. University of Lousiville: School of Dentistry
17. University of Michigan
18. Virginia Commonwealth U: School of Dentistry
19. Columbia University: College of Dental Medicine
20. USC
21. Baylor

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Also, I am a currently a junior. Would I still be able to apply to a school if I have not yet completed one of the courses a school requires, but plan to do so before graduating, or should I eliminate those schools from my list as well?

Baylor is a Texas school, meaning if you don't have Texas residency, then the chances are really slim. I would remove that if I were you, it'll save you $400 and time.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely don't apply to a Texas school.

Helping with this list, of course, would be MUCH easier with DAT scores. And yes, they will consider your upward trend. Just come back with your DAT scores--we can't really tell what schools are "pushing it" without them. For example, as of now, I'd say UoP is a big stretch... but if you score a 23+ on the DAT, it becomes more feasible.

Also... take the DAT a bit earlier. July 15 or so.

Baylor is a Texas school, meaning if you don't have Texas residency, then the chances are really slim. I would remove that if I were you, it'll save you $400 and time.
Bye bye, Baylor. Thanks! Any others?

Definitely don't apply to a Texas school.

Helping with this list, of course, would be MUCH easier with DAT scores. And yes, they will consider your upward trend. Just come back with your DAT scores--we can't really tell what schools are "pushing it" without them. For example, as of now, I'd say UoP is a big stretch... but if you score a 23+ on the DAT, it becomes more feasible.

Also... take the DAT a bit earlier. July 15 or so.
Wow ok thanks for the input, definitely aiming for that high DAT score!
Would it be horrible to take the DATs Aug 9? I don't feel that I would be ready by July 15.

Last edited:
If you take the DAT August 9th, you'll have all of your stuff in pretty close to September... It normally takes about two weeks for your scores to be sent to AADSAS. That is a bit later than I'd want to apply.

If you take the DAT August 9th, you'll have all of your stuff in pretty close to September... It normally takes about two weeks for your scores to be sent to AADSAS. That is a bit later than I'd want to apply.
Would that significantly reduce my chances of getting an interview?
I think it would be better to wait until I'm prepared for the test. If I do poorly, that would kill my chances completely. It's either that or apply semi-late, so I think should wait until I'm ready and apply with a stronger score.

Last edited:
Don't even trip about August. Take it when your ready. Your not late and you will be fine with your numbers. Aim for a 21AA and your gold.

Reactions: 1 users
Would that significantly reduce my chances of getting an interview?
I think it would be better to wait until I'm prepared for the test. If I do poorly, that would kill my chances completely. It's either that or apply semi-late, so I think should wait until I'm ready and apply with a stronger score.

Ultimately, if you do as well on your DAT as you've done in your classes since freshman year, I think you will perfectly be fine either way. Applying before August is always preferable, but you don't want to sacrifice a better score for it! :)

I would go ahead and submit the rest of your application as soon as you have it ready. That way, when your DAT scores come in, schools can invite you pronto! I've heard of people getting invites the same day their DAT scores came in--which makes it seem like schools had already decided they wanted to interview them, but they just wanted to confirm their predicted DAT success.

Also, on the day you take your DAT, I would scan your score report and e-mail it to all of the schools. This can also speed things up.

Ultimately, if you do as well on your DAT as you've done in your classes since freshman year, I think you will perfectly be fine either way. Applying before August is always preferable, but you don't want to sacrifice a better score for it! :)

I would go ahead and submit the rest of your application as soon as you have it ready. That way, when your DAT scores come in, schools can invite you pronto! I've heard of people getting invites the same day their DAT scores came in--which makes it seem like schools had already decided they wanted to interview them, but they just wanted to confirm their predicted DAT success.

Also, on the day you take your DAT, I would scan your score report and e-mail it to all of the schools. This can also speed things up.
Thanks, Glimmer, you're magical! I have another question. I plan to fill out the FAP form, so will I have to wait to submit my application? If so, will this hurt my chances of getting in since I need to send in my app later? Would that be a big deal? Sorry for the question overload, I read your FAQ thread last night and it was so helpful!

Thanks, Glimmer, you're magical! I have another question. I plan to fill out the FAP form, so will I have to wait to submit my application? If so, will this hurt my chances of getting in since I need to send in my app later? Would that be a big deal? Sorry for the question overload, I read your FAQ thread last night and it was so helpful!

I am not terribly familiar with the FAP, but I just looked and found the document that I uploaded below.

The program becomes available on June 2nd.

Other than your DAT scores, do you have everything else ready for your application? If so, just go ahead and apply for the FAP as soon as you can, since it is first come, first served. Once you are approved for it, you have 30 business days to complete your AADSAS application and submit it. The FAP will cover the cost for three schools.

Especially if you go ahead and start on the FAP application on Monday, you definitely won't be a late applicant! They seem really strict with the requirements, though, so make sure you have everything perfect before submitting. :)

Attachments

• FAP.pdf
    250.1 KB · Views: 65
I am not terribly familiar with the FAP, but I just looked and found the document that I uploaded below.

The program becomes available on June 2nd.

Other than your DAT scores, do you have everything else ready for your application? If so, just go ahead and apply for the FAP as soon as you can, since it is first come, first served. Once you are approved for it, you have 30 business days to complete your AADSAS application and submit it. The FAP will cover the cost for three schools.

Especially if you go ahead and start on the FAP application on Monday, you definitely won't be a late applicant! They seem really strict with the requirements, though, so make sure you have everything perfect before submitting. :)
Ok, thank you! I'm only missing two LORs (I already have 9, but waiting on two additional good ones!) and a committee letter, which my school refuses to write until my DAT scores are in. Is that bad?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, thank you! I'm only missing two LORs (I already have 9, but waiting on two good ones!) and a committee letter, which my school refuses to write until my DAT scores are in. Is that bad?

How long will it take them to write the committee letter? Hopefully, it's around 2 weeks. If so, it will be finished at around the same time your DAT scores come in to AADSAS. If it's any longer, then your app is going to be in an even later batch. If you'd like December interviews and acceptances, I wouldn't push it too much further into September than it already will be.

You need to call AADSAS and ask them if you're allowed to submit your application without LORs and DAT scores after you've received funding from the FAP. You have to follow that 30 day guideline. When they tell you to submit AADSAS within 30 days, I'm not sure if it has to be totally complete (including LORs and DAT scores) or if those things don't have to be in yet.

If you DO have to submit your LORs and DAT scores within that 30 day period, you're going to have to wait until a lot later to apply for the FAP. I have no clue if they will still have funding available in August.

Also, does anyone know if I should request release of my transcripts ahead of time (now)? I know there's a form we must attach to the transcript, is that available anywhere before the application process begins?

How long will it take them to write the committee letter? Hopefully, it's around 2 weeks. If so, it will be finished at around the same time your DAT scores come in to AADSAS. If it's any longer, then your app is going to be in an even later batch. If you'd like December interviews and acceptances, I wouldn't push it too much further into September than it already will be.

You need to call AADSAS and ask them if you're allowed to submit your application without LORs and DAT scores after you've received funding from the FAP. You have to follow that 30 day guideline. When they tell you to submit AADSAS within 30 days, I'm not sure if it has to be totally complete (including LORs and DAT scores) or if those things don't have to be in yet.

If you DO have to submit your LORs and DAT scores within that 30 day period, you're going to have to wait until a lot later to apply for the FAP. I have no clue if they will still have funding available in August.
Oh no... I really hope that's not the case, but I'm going to try to find out. Thank you x1,000,000!
Also, does anyone know if I should request release of my transcripts ahead of time (now)? I know there's a form we must attach to the transcript. Is that available anywhere before the application process opens up?

Check the first batch hullabaloo thread. :)

Nope, it's not available ahead of time. Just wait until June 2nd.

However, they aren't going to verify your GPA until you actually submit your entire app... So although your transcripts will be there, you won't get anything calculated.

Check the first batch hullabaloo thread. :)

Nope, it's not available ahead of time. Just wait until June 2nd.

However, they aren't going to verify your GPA until you actually submit your entire app... So although your transcripts will be there, you won't get anything calculated.
Hopefully it will all be ok. Ah, so stressful! Thanks again, Glimmer, you're the best! :)

Can anyone else help me narrow down my list?

So I just spoke with my health professions committee, and the secretary at the office told me that I cannot submit my application without my LORs complete... I thought they can send out my additional ones later. Can someone please clarify?

I was also wondering if this is the same in regard to a committee letter. I have not had my interview for a committee letter yet, so would I have to wait for the interview and for them to write the letter in order to submit? Thanks.

You can definitely send in your application without LOR's. That being said, you do need to have all the information put in as you cannot change them after you submit. But the letters thmselves can be submitted later and the schools will be notified. WHO IS THIS SECRETARY WHO KEEP TELLING PEOPLE THIS. welp.

You can definitely send in your application without LOR's. That being said, you do need to have all the information put in as you cannot change them after you submit. But the letters thmselves can be submitted later and the schools will be notified. WHO IS THIS SECRETARY WHO KEEP TELLING PEOPLE THIS. welp.
I haven't submitted my application yet, but when you say that the LORs can be submitted later, does that mean that I can add my school's committee to the LOR section of the application, submit the application, and just wait until they're all in to sign the official letter release form at my school's Health Professions Office (they hold all of my letters)?

Last edited:
Essentially yes. As long as you have all the correct information, you can put it in the LOR section. Just keep in mind that you CANNOT change the LOR information once submitted. The letter can always be attached to the LOR section later, but the info has to match.

Essentially yes. As long as you have all the correct information, you can put it in the LOR section. Just keep in mind that you CANNOT change the LOR information once submitted. The letter can always be attached to the LOR section later, but the info has to match.
Gotchya, thanks!