Please Help me out.... I really need advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hnbui

Addicted to Yale Med
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay. So i was accepted to both Tulane and NYu for undergrad studies.

I live in New Orleans, and really hate the city, so i was very please that i got accepted to my top choice, NYU.

the thing is that If i attend Tualne i will only have to fork for roughly 1,500 grand a year. that's like attending a public school.

If i attend nyu, then i will have to take out around 25 grand in loans each year.

I mean i really really want to leave Louisiana, i just really can't stand it here.

If you were in my situation, what would you do.

also, does it really matter where you go for undergrad when applying to med school?

Members don't see this ad.

If you feel that you will be really unhappy at Tulane then you should probably go to NYU. I don't like spending other people's money but if you feel that the unhappiness at Tulane will keep you from working to your potential then paying the extra money for NYU is worth it.

Also consider that if you do go to NYU, you will already have an extensive amount of loans and since med school is even more expensive you will need to take out even more loans. There is a cap on how much money you can get from federal stafford loans so if you go to a private med school you will need to find other private loans.

I myself chose a private school over my state school. I did get a significant amount of financial grants so it made things easier for me.

It's a tough decision but ultimately though money should be a factor, it shouldn't be the only one. I hope this makes sense.

hnbui said:
Okay. So i was accepted to both Tulane and NYu for undergrad studies.

I live in New Orleans, and really hate the city, so i was very please that i got accepted to my top choice, NYU.

the thing is that If i attend Tualne i will only have to fork for roughly 1,500 grand a year. that's like attending a public school.

If i attend nyu, then i will have to take out around 25 grand in loans each year.

I mean i really really want to leave Louisiana, i just really can't stand it here.

If you were in my situation, what would you do.

also, does it really matter where you go for undergrad when applying to med school?

How do you know you'll like NYC? You're only 18, it would be hard for you to predict what you would and would not like. What if you were miserable in NYC? Stay at tulane, save your money, kick ass at school, and then leave for medical school. It is definitely not worth forking over an extra 100K!! (gasp) just so you can leave Lousiana, especially if it really wont help you get into med school (which is what I assume is your goal since you're on SDN). Go to Tulane and tough it out. It'll be good prep for med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
thinking about how much debt i'll have after med school, i'm so glad that i went to a public undergrad and don't have any undergrad debt.

i don't know anything about new orleans or louisiana, but you really hate it that much? i love socal, but it wasn't the location that defined my undergrad experience. it was the people i met, the activities i was involved in, and the overall culture on campus.

You have to be careful as it's very possible you could end up hating nyu. it's the largest private school in the country, bringing with it all the pros and cons that this distinction entails. additionally, nyu doesn't have a campus. seriously. compared to other urban schools with ill-defined campuses, nyu REALLY doesn't have much of a campus at all. i have to admit that the union square area is an awesome part of manhattan, and it would be sweet to spend undergrad there, but i'm just saying you should beware that going to nyu not like going to your "typical" top-tier private college. it will be a far-from traditional undergrad experience. again, don't take this as negative. i'm just saying it's different. good luck with your decision. it's a tough one.

yeah, I just had a talk with my mother and i've decided to go to tulane for two years and then transfer. I've gotta give my mom a break from paying everything for me, i'm 16 btw the way (Don't think i can take out private loans myself yet.)

I'm from south Texas, and I also wanted to get out of the state. I went to the University of Chicago, and was incredibly miserable. The cold, bleakness, unfriendly people, obsessive students, and insane competition really got to me. I eventually fell apart mentally and had to come home, and it took years to get things put back togther again.

NATURALLY I'm not generalizing my situation to you. I'm just want to point out that it's easy for a Southern boy to underestimate the culture shock of going to a major northern metropolis, where people could care less if you jumped in front of the train tracks. The biggest question for you should be whether you really LOVE New York. If you do, you'll probably have a great time at NYU. If you have any doubts, I'd stay with Tulane. It's a perfectly good school.