Please help me out!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prehealth92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in my senior year, and I do not have any plans for after I graduate. I'd like to apply to medical schools this summer (2015), but I am not competitive. I am Asian and attend a "top 20 school" by USNews. Should I apply this summer or take 2 gap years? Should I work as a medical scribe or take more science classes?
GPA (with grade replacement): 3.39
Science GPA: 3.2
BCP GPA: 3.2
MCAT: 28 (aiming for a 31/32 on second try)
Major: biology

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am in my senior year, and I do not have any plans for after I graduate. I'd like to apply to DO medical schools this summer, but I am not competitive. I am Asian and attend a "top 20 school" by USNews. Should I apply this summer or take 2 gap years? Should I work as a medical scribe or take more science classes?

Summer is gone, dude. Besides, you should post in the premed forum.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am in my senior year, and I do not have any plans for after I graduate. I'd like to apply to medical schools this summer, but I am not competitive. I am Asian and attend a "top 20 school" by USNews. Should I apply this summer or take 2 gap years? Should I work as a medical scribe or take more science classes?

It's still early for the DO cycle, but your GPA is a bit low. You can take a chance but know that you might rejections or WLs based on your GPA. If you feel uncomfortable with that then retake any C/D/F courses and apply next year.

It's too late for MD and with the stats you're providing you'll be handing out donations.

Working as a scribe is always a plus. But if you've had clinical experience via volunteering then you'll be fine.

What're your other ECs?

I'm just a pre-med like yourself, so take my thoughts for what they're worth, but to me your stats don't look bad as you think they are. You'd really be solid if your sGPA was a little higher, but I don't think it's terrible. Your stats are competitive for DO, if you apply strategically and broadly you have a real good chance of landing interviews.

Aside from numbers, how are your EC's?

It's still early for the DO cycle, but your GPA is a bit low. You can take a chance but know that you might rejections or WLs based on your GPA. If you feel uncomfortable with that then retake any C/D/F courses and apply next year.

It's too late for MD and with the stats you're providing you'll be handing out donations.

Working as a scribe is always a plus. But if you've had clinical experience via volunteering then you'll be fine.

What're your other ECs?

I've done research for credit and volunteering/shadowing over the summer. Nothing out of the ordinary :/ I'm thinking about applying at the end of this academic year and taking science classes during the summer and my 5th year (while working as a scribe). Does this seem too risky with my stats?

with that grade replacement, is that replacing all grades lower than a B-?

if not, i suggest retaking any that are lower than B-.

nothing wrong with taking time off. i'm currently in a gap year since i just graduated in may.

working as an allergy technician under minimal physician supervision, direct patient care 40 hrs/week at $16/hr and loving it.

Thanks for the encouragement! I found this thread that basically told me I have ~20% chance of getting in somewhere: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...e-who-applied-with-your-cgpa-and-mcat.888650/.
My EC's are average- volunteering and shadowing over the summers and research for credit. So, I'm thinking about working as a scribe during my gap year.

Keep in mind that that graph is referring to MD schools. DO schools typically have lower median GPA and MCAT for their matriculants.

Working as a scribe would be a great idea though if you haven't gotten any clinical experience yet. Adcoms want to see that you know what you're getting into when you say you want to be a physician, and working with patients on a regular basis as a scribe would be a great way to show that.

I've done research for credit and volunteering/shadowing over the summer. Nothing out of the ordinary :/ I'm thinking about applying at the end of this academic year and taking science classes during the summer and my 5th year (while working as a scribe). Does this seem too risky with my stats?

Hmm is there anyway you can take classes right now? Just so that you have everything lined up next year, I don't think it's too risky!

You're quite competitive and if you're interested in DO schools, then do NOT retake the MCAT! Just skip AZCOM.

I am in my senior year, and I do not have any plans for after I graduate. I'd like to apply to DO medical schools this summer, but I am not competitive. I am Asian and attend a "top 20 school" by USNews. Should I apply this summer or take 2 gap years? Should I work as a medical scribe or take more science classes?

You're quite competitive and if you're interested in DO schools, then do NOT retake the MCAT! Just skip AZCOM.
Just curious @Goro , but are you telling OP not to retake the MCAT because it would be unnecessary given his score or because DO schools don't look fondly on retakes?

More for the former, but the latter can be a factor because we look at someone with a DO competitive score as trying to get it over the magic 30 line to be acceptable for MD schools.

Just curious @Goro , but are you telling OP not to retake the MCAT because it would be unnecessary given his score or because DO schools don't look fondly on retakes?

Hmm is there anyway you can take classes right now? Just so that you have everything lined up next year, I don't think it's too risky!
I'm in my senior year now. I'm planning on taking 5 or so classes during my gap year at a cheaper school.

Keep in mind that that graph is referring to MD schools. DO schools typically have lower median GPA and MCAT for their matriculants.

Working as a scribe would be a great idea though if you haven't gotten any clinical experience yet. Adcoms want to see that you know what you're getting into when you say you want to be a physician, and working with patients on a regular basis as a scribe would be a great way to show that.
Thank you for pointing that out! I thought it was for DO when I glanced at it. Do you happen to have a link for a similar graph for DO?