Please help me pick a school.......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noncon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I called one university. Asked them if it is possible to take Chem-1 and Chem-2 over the same Summer. They said you can only Chem-1 or Chem-2. Called three more. They said the same thing. Emailed three more - they said the same thing.

Can anyone suggest a good and inexpensive university that lets you take both Chem-1 and Chem-2 over the same summer? The university needs to be on a semester not quarter system and ideally should be within a 10 hour drive from Las Vegas.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Tbh, I doubt any schools will straight up say yes. That doesn't mean they won't make an exception once you are there, though. I had a couple of friends do that with physics at Madison.

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using SDN Mobile

Tbh, I doubt any schools will straight up say yes. That doesn't mean they won't make an exception once you are there, though. I had a couple of friends do that with physics at Madison.

I meant taking Chem-1 over the first half of the summer and Chem-2 over the second half of summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I called one university. Asked them if it is possible to take Chem-1 and Chem-2 over the same Summer. They said you can only Chem-1 or Chem-2. Called three more. They said the same thing. Emailed three more - they said the same thing.

Can anyone suggest a good and inexpensive university that lets you take both Chem-1 and Chem-2 over the same summer? The university needs to be on a semester and quarter system and ideally should be within a 10 hour drive from Las Vegas.

Thank you.

Weber State University does this in Ogden UT. Last summer the classes were,

CHEM 1210 May 02 - Jun 17
CHEM 1220 Jun 20 - Aug 05

Labs follow this schedule also.

6.5 hour drive for ya.

Weber State University does this in Ogden UT. Last summer the classes were,

CHEM 1210 May 02 - Jun 17
CHEM 1220 Jun 20 - Aug 05

Labs follow this schedule also.

6.5 hour drive for ya.

Thanks, those are exactly the kind of schedules I need! But I need a school that will be known on the East Coast. Maybe I should abandon the 10-hour drive from Vegas criterion and fly out to whatever university but then I will be without a car there and I am not used to being without a vehicle.

Not having a car is not that big a deal. If this is what you really want to do, you might have to sacrifice being comfortable.

I know it’s about double a 10 hour drive, but basically any Oregon university that offers summer classes has this available. Oregon State, U of Oregon. PSU, etc. all offer a three term summer session where you could take all of gen chem + labs between the end of June and early September.

I know it’s about double a 10 hour drive, but basically any Oregon university that offers summer classes has this available. Oregon State, U of Oregon. PSU, etc. all offer a three term summer session where you could take all of gen chem + labs between the end of June and early September.

Those won't work because my university is on a semester system, so my semester begins around mid-August while those Oregon universities will have their summer sessions going on till September. But thanks for the suggestions.

Thanks, those are exactly the kind of schedules I need! But I need a school that will be known on the East Coast. Maybe I should abandon the 10-hour drive from Vegas criterion and fly out to whatever university but then I will be without a car there and I am not used to being without a vehicle.

Why does the school need to be "known" on the East Coast? This isn't a community college, so it shouldn't matter that this is Weber State University, rather than say, the University of Colorado. You aren't getting your degree from this school; you're just taking two semesters of chemistry. And I agree with other posters; you don't need a car if you're going to school in a large city with a fairly reliable bus system. OP, if you really want to do this, then you're going to need to make your criteria a little less stringent.

Why does the school need to be "known" on the East Coast? This isn't a community college, so it shouldn't matter that this is Weber State University, rather than say, the University of Colorado. You aren't getting your degree from this school; you're just taking two semesters of chemistry. And I agree with other posters; you don't need a car if you're going to school in a large city with a fairly reliable bus system. OP, if you really want to do this, then you're going to need to make your criteria a little less stringent.

Well, I will be getting a BS degree from a community college myself, but I have been advised to not take my pre-reqs here. So I want to take the pre-requisite science classes at a college that is well known on the east coast, where I plan to study medicine. I suppose I will have to go to a far away place without a car but I have a daughter - actually my sister's kid but she became mine when my sister died in a car accident - so it is nice to have a car for her sake.

Well, I will be getting a BS degree from a community college myself, but I have been advised to not take my pre-reqs here. So I want to take the pre-requisite science classes at a college that is well known on the east coast, where I plan to study medicine. I suppose I will have to go to a far away place without a car but I have a daughter - actually my sister's kid but she became mine when my sister died in a car accident - so it is nice to have a car for her sake.

Well, if your end goal is medicine, then it honestly doesn't matter if you study on the East Coast or West Coast or Midwest, and the same goes for where you take your courses. What ultimately matters is your grades, so just find a place where you can do well.

Well, if your end goal is medicine, then it honestly doesn't matter if you study on the East Coast or West Coast or Midwest, and the same goes for where you take your courses. What ultimately matters is your grades, so just find a place where you can do well.

I agree with you in principle. No arguments about that. My family is buying a small apartment in Pittsfield, Massachusetts, so that will be my legal residence on AMCAS. I have a better chance of getting into a school in that state than elsewhere. Which is why I want the school to be known out east.

I agree with you in principle. No arguments about that. My family is buying a small apartment in Pittsfield, Massachusetts, so that will be my legal residence on AMCAS. I have a better chance of getting into a school in that state than elsewhere. Which is why I want the school to be known out east.

Fair enough, but still, chances are that adcoms are not familiar with every single school in every part of the country. What matters is that your pre-reqs come from a four-year university , which is what some of the schools suggested (and that you shot down) are. It has already been established that trying to take a years' worth of Chemistry in one summer is rarely allowed. So you need to pick what is most important to you: finishing all of chemistry in one summer from whatever four-year school will allow it, or finishing maybe one semester of chemistry at a well-known school over the summer and then perhaps taking the second semester of chemistry the following summer, or at your home institution. But you probably can't have it both ways.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fair enough, but still, chances are that adcoms are not familiar with every single school in every part of the country. What matters is that your pre-reqs come from a four-year university , which is what some of the schools suggested (and that you shot down) are. It has already been established that trying to take a years' worth of Chemistry in one summer is rarely allowed. So you need to pick what is most important to you: finishing all of chemistry in one summer from whatever four-year school will allow it, or finishing maybe one semester of chemistry at a well-known school over the summer and then perhaps taking the second semester of chemistry the following summer, or at your home institution. But you probably can't have it both ways.

I have the name of only one school that is on the semester (and not quarter) system: Weber State. I just want a school that is more more recognized on the east coast than is Weber State. Any more names?

OP, check out some Florida universities (University of Florida, Florida State, University of South Florida, Florida Atlantic University, etc).

Summer A schedules are usually May-June and Summer B schedules are then June-July/August. You'll be done before mid-August and most schools should offer Chem 1 in Summer A and Chem 2 in Summer B. You'll have to look into which schools offer it though. 90% sure USF does it.

OP, check out some Florida universities (University of Florida, Florida State, University of South Florida, Florida Atlantic University, etc).

Summer A schedules are usually May-June and Summer B schedules are then June-July/August. You'll be done before mid-August and most schools should offer Chem 1 in Summer A and Chem 2 in Summer B. You'll have to look into which schools offer it though. 90% sure USF does it.

Thanks, I checked out University of Florida. Unfortunately their schedules don't work out. I have also emailed the Chemistry department chair and will wait to hear what they have to say. I don't particularly want to go to the other schools in Florida. Not because *I* have a problem with such schools - indeed I don't because people tend to be nicer at such schools and I am attending a community college myself - but because medical schools have prejudices when it comes to the name of a school. I wish they didn't. Because then I could have taken the premed sequence at my own community college. But thanks for suggesting them to me.

Today hasn't been a good day. And now from what LizzyM says, the one sport I excel at and have achievements to show is hated by medical schools. Just my luck!

http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2002/07/08/hlsb0708.htm
http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2011/09/12/hlbf0912.htm

That's not exactly what I said; the AMA and the AAP are not "medical schools".

As an aside about Massachusetts residency... it is very hard to become a Massachusetts resident for admission purposes see: http://www.umassmed.edu/som/admissions/residency.aspx

That's not exactly what I said; the AMA and the AAP are not "medical schools".

As an aside about Massachusetts residency... it is very hard to become a Massachusetts resident for admission purposes see: http://www.umassmed.edu/som/admissions/residency.aspx

Oh dang, Mass residency seems difficult. And it's true that boxing is not a very nice sport. But people in my stratum usually do one of three things to get respect: join gangs, become good at boxing or join the Army. I chose the latter two. Boxing, in retrospect, clearly wasn't a good choice and I will leave it out of my application.

University of Nevada Reno, University of Idaho, University of Oregon, Oregon State University, University of Washington, Western Washington University and my old undergrad school, Fort Lewis College, all let you take a full year of chemistry over the summer. Some of them are on the quarter system, but that doesn't matter. 5 quarter credits converts to 3.3 semester credits, and both will fulfill any medical school's requirements.

I went to Oregon State in the summer of 2011 to do chemistry there. It was a pretty good program, and they were just finishing a new chemistry building. The tuition was pretty reasonable too.

University of Nevada Reno, University of Idaho, University of Oregon, Oregon State University, University of Washington, Western Washington University and my old undergrad school, Fort Lewis College, all let you take a full year of chemistry over the summer. Some of them are on the quarter system, but that doesn't matter. 5 quarter credits converts to 3.3 semester credits, and both will fulfill any medical school's requirements.

I went to Oregon State in the summer of 2011 to do chemistry there. It was a pretty good program, and they were just finishing a new chemistry building. The tuition was pretty reasonable too.

University of Washington: the Chair emailed me it is not possible to take both classes over the summer.
Oregon State and University of Oregon: you can take classes but they are on a quarter system and the dates when the summer session ends conflicts with my college which is on the semester system. So they are a no-go unfortunately.
Thanks for the other suggestions: I will check out University of Idaho and University of Nevada.

Just checked - University of Idaho does not have the right schedule to be able to complete the required classes over the summer.

Oh dang, Mass residency seems difficult. And it's true that boxing is not a very nice sport. But people in my stratum usually do one of three things to get respect: join gangs, become good at boxing or join the Army. I chose the latter two. Boxing, in retrospect, clearly wasn't a good choice and I will leave it out of my application.

I don't think you need to leave boxing out if it is something that you are passionate about, have achievements in, and excelled at. You can frame your learnings from boxing in a positive manner

images

Also dang man, talk about adult responsibilities. Best of luck raising your little girl. :)

Yes, it is possible - many community colleges offer BS/BA degrees these days.

UVA: http://www.virginia.edu/summer/

Session II: June 10-July 06 (Chem 1 + lab)
Session III: July 8-August 03 (Chem 2 + lab)

Nah, University of Virginia is too expensive. $1,119.00 per credit.

Sure they do: $1119 per credit hour.

And just so you know Weber State is a fairly well known school. I live in Chicago and have heard of it. Just sayin...

OP, I want to say this nicely. So if i come off the wrong way please forgive me.

At the end of the day if you take 2 pre reqs at a CC it will not necessary HURT you. I am a pre med myself and havent gone through the application process but I've also read around SDN that its not a HUGE admission rejection as long as you can show that you can take upper division science courses. You are mentally jumping through hoops all around the country just for some Gen Chem courses which you can just take at your home college. It is definitely not necessary to travel to another state just to take these pre requisites. You will drive yourself crazy if you give in to all these perfect requirements from medical schools. Yes you should follow the requirements needed but I really think this is unnecessary.

At the end of the day you will do what you want to do but i really think this is a waste of money, time, effort, and it is unnecessary stress.

Maybe I missed something while reading this thread. One question though, You are getting your BS from a CC???? If that is so, how are you going to complete the rest of your pre requisites?? Are you planning on doing this for all of your pre requisites???

OP, I want to say this nicely. So if i come off the wrong way please forgive me.

At the end of the day if you take 2 pre reqs at a CC it will not necessary HURT you. I am a pre med myself and havent gone through the application process but I've also read around SDN that its not a HUGE admission rejection as long as you can show that you can take upper division science courses. You are mentally jumping through hoops all around the country just for some Gen Chem courses which you can just take at your home college. It is definitely not necessary to travel to another state just to take these pre requisites. You will drive yourself crazy if you give in to all these perfect requirements from medical schools. Yes you should follow the requirements needed but I really think this is unnecessary.

At the end of the day you will do what you want to do but i really think this is a waste of money, time, effort, and it is unnecessary stress.

Maybe I missed something while reading this thread. One question though, You are getting your BS from a CC???? If that is so, how are you going to complete the rest of your pre requisites?? Are you planning on doing this for all of your pre requisites???

Yes I am planning on doing this for all my prereqs, unfortunately.

If being without a car bothers you so much, buy a $500 clunker when you get to your new school. If you keep it limping along for the three months you're there, you can sell it again for $500.

Just came across your thread about Chemistry. You can take a full year of Chemistry at Boise State over the summer. Just thought I'd pass that on. Best of luck, Julie

Look more closely at Oregon schools - yes it's a quarter system but classes finish in August, not September. Might be a tight squeeze but doable. Portland is very easy to get around w/o a car. Lots of students do the whole year of chem over the summer though it is a LOT so be prepared to make it your life for nine weeks. I'm pretty sure all the OR schools are known, tone of pre-med kids here.

Southern Utah University in Cedar City offers Chem 1 and 2 over the summer. Classes start around the last week of May and go until the first week of August, so about 1 month per semester. Plus CC is only 2.5 hrs from Vegas.