Please help me with advice on approaching my professor

luke587

5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
So i got my final grade back in my chemistry course today
I received a B+, which don't get me wrong i know its pretty good, but when i looked at the grade distribution, i was 5 points away from an A-, which is one test question. How do you i approach my chemistry professor to see if i could do anything to see if he would bump it into an A-? I know its not a huge deal, but one test question come on thats a killer, he knows me pretty well, class of 800..ive met with him quite a few times throughout the semester, but don't really know what to say without sounding whiny or anything like that. Any advice would be much appreciated other than the refer to thread with stupid questions. Thanks so much

rafflecopter

MS-0
10+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
So i got my final grade back in my chemistry course today
I received a B+, which don't get me wrong i know its pretty good, but when i looked at the grade distribution, i was 5 points away from an A-, which is one test question. How do you i approach my chemistry professor to see if i could do anything to see if he would bump it into an A-? I know its not a huge deal, but one test question come on thats a killer, he knows me pretty well, class of 800..ive met with him quite a few times throughout the semester, but don't really know what to say without sounding whiny or anything like that. Any advice would be much appreciated other than the refer to thread with stupid questions. Thanks so much
I would go to his office hours and ask to go over the test. Maybe you'll get lucky and the scantron was misread or one of the questions has a type and needs to be thrown out.

LRAccord624

MSIII
Oct 18, 2009
Houston
Status
Medical Student
Accept the grade you made and move on
:thumbup: However, it wouldn't hurt to go look over the test as long as you don't ask for any points.

This will happen from time to time. In fact I also just missed moving up a grade by a single question earlier today. I'm sure there will be other times that you get that A- by one test question... it all evens out in the end.

getright

7+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Were you 5 points away with a curve? If so you should move on, but I guess you can ask to review the test to see if there were any errors.

stevo111

10+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Don't be an annoying bloodsucking premed.
This

Were you 5 points away with a curve? If so you should move on, but I guess you can ask to review the test to see if there were any errors.
And this.

What priority does your prof have to give you an extra few points over your classmates who took the same test and class as you? Unless there is something definitely there, don't pursue it. Your semester/quarter is over. Go enjoy the holidays.

WorldChanger36

7+ Year Member
Sep 22, 2009
NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
OP, 5 points is too much to ask for a gimme curve but what Rafflecopter told you is very good advice.
Go to the professor and ask him to go over some of the stuff with you WHEN it is a GOOD time for HIM ( or HER). Very important. Set up an appointment and don't try to rush it. If a professor does find an error they can fix your grade anytime. Do not ask him or her to curve you, just go there and see if their are any errors and try to understand why this is wrong and the others are right. If you don't get anything out of it be happy you got a B+ ( A good grade) thank the professor for his or her time and move on. Don't forget the point of school is to learn, not keep a perfect 4.0.

Jul 9, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Don't be an annoying bloodsucking premed.
+1 This is exactly y my chemistry professor hated premeds cuz they think grades are the only thing that matter and come crying after a test for a grade they didnt work for. I personally loved his no office visits for grades policy

Aug 30, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I agree with everyone else. You're worried about sounding whiny because there is no way to approach your professor to ask for a higher grade without sounding entitled and immature. It is not ok to ask a professor for a higher grade, just because you are close to a cut-off. You should have done better in the class.

The only time it is ok to ask a prof to raise a grade is if something was actually graded incorrectly. I've been a TA for 7 science classes and trust me, even the nicest of the professors get PISSED when students do this.

A B+ is not going to keep you out of med school; it's really not worth destroying your reputation with this professor over.

May 10, 2010
Status
I got screwed today by a professor too. I got a 95+ on every test/homework, answered every question correctly in class when called on, and had the highest total percentage grade in the class. He sets the average to a 3.6 and this class had a 84% average so 84% = 3.6 but I got a 95+ % and got a 3.8... 11% more at least and only .2 gpa higher? He said because I looked like I had a bad attitude. LOOKED like I had a bad attitude. LOOKED. Am I supposed to smile every second of the day?