Please Help Me With My List Of Schools!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medlover247

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I desperately need help with my list of schools. I'm a CA resident with a 3.52 overall gpa and a 3.3 science gpa and hopefully an MCAT of 30+ (taking it in July)

I got the new MSAR and it seems like every school has a gpa of 3.8, its really depressing...:(

I want to make sure I'm applying to the right schools, here is my list:

George WashingtonGeorgetown JefferesonKeck school of Med- USCLoyola University ChicagoNew York Medical CollegeNew York UniversityNorthwestern Rosalind FranklinRushSt. Luis StanfordTempleTuftsTulaneUC Davis UC Irvine UCSD UCSFUniversity of Illinois College of MedicineUnivesity of central florida? New schoolLousiana state university?Mount sinai?Suny downstate?
Suny upstate?
Rochester?Virginia commonwealth?

The ones in blue I probably won't apply to. Any schools I should remove and replace with other ones? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I desperately need help with my list of schools. I'm a CA resident with a 3.52 overall gpa and a 3.3 science gpa and hopefully an MCAT of 30+ (taking it in July)

I got the new MSAR and it seems like every school has a gpa of 3.8, its really depressing...:(

I want to make sure I'm applying to the right schools, here is my list:

George WashingtonGeorgetown JefferesonKeck school of Med- USCLoyola University ChicagoNew York Medical CollegeNew York UniversityNorthwestern Rosalind FranklinRushSt. Luis StanfordTempleTuftsTulaneUC Davis UC Irvine UCSD UCSFUniversity of Illinois College of MedicineUnivesity of central florida? New schoolLousiana state university?Mount sinai?Suny downstate?
Suny upstate?
Rochester?Virginia commonwealth?

The ones in blue I probably won't apply to. Any schools I should remove and replace with other ones? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Keck, U of Chicago, Georgetown, Stanford, and most of the UC's are probably stretches unless you have great EC's and an 32+ MCAT. That is not to say that you have zero chance of getting into any of those schools. Also, disadvantaged and URM status will play a role as well. Need more information to give you a conclusive answer.

Here is some more info:
-2 years of biochem research/poster presentation
-a lot of shadowing/externships
-EMT certificate (looking for a job)
-tutoring ~1 year
-volunteering in hospital ~100 hours
-mentoring program, 1 year
-alot of leadership experience, president, vice president, treasurer, secretary (2 different clubs)
-academic acheivement award/deans honor roll

I am applying with disadvantaged status and have been approved for the FAP. I am doing fairly well on my practice exams and expect a 30+

Are there any other oos schools I should apply to?

Here is some more info:
-2 years of biochem research/poster presentation
-a lot of shadowing/externships
-EMT certificate (looking for a job)
-tutoring ~1 year
-volunteering in hospital ~100 hours
-mentoring program, 1 year
-alot of leadership experience, president, vice president, treasurer, secretary (2 different clubs)
-academic acheivement award/deans honor roll

I am applying with disadvantaged status and have been approved for the FAP. I am doing fairly well on my practice exams and expect a 30+

Are there any other oos schools I should apply to?

Disadvantaged status will definitely help you at some schools, but not at others. I think that your list of schools is good but I would only apply to one or two higher tier schools at the most. Also, do not apply to any school that you have zero intention on attending; save yourself the money. IF you are just trying to go to medical school (i.e. you dont care where you attend), then you should probably look at the MSAR and add schools to your list that have GPA/MCAT averages around what you think you will have. Best of luck to you.