Please help me with my rank list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

po' boy

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am really pulling my hair out over this whole rank list thing. The most important factors to me are training, quality of life, and location, with proximity to friends and family being an added draw.

Denver (4 years, tiring program, awesome reputation and training, great city, 3 close friends nearby)

Stanford (3 years, great curriculum lots of elective time and int'l opportunities, awesome benefits, 12 hour shifts with significant commute -- tiring, sister in gorgeous San Francisco)

UCSD (4 years, cush program as intern, low trauma and ICU exposure, gorgeous city, several friends in nearby LA)

OHSU (3 years, benign schedule, well-established program with good training, questionable volume and trauma, beautiful city)

Vanderbilt (3 years, well-rounded curriculum with outstanding teaching, benign schedule, relatively uninspiring city, parents live in nashville)

Please help, and no flames, or PM me if you must.

Members don't see this ad.

Denver #1. It seems to fit your criteria best. :thumbup:

Here's my 2 cents...

1) Denver
2) UCSD
3-4) Stanford
3-4) Oregon
5) Vanderbilt

I think denver should be the hands down #1 out of these based on reputation, city, and the fact that you have a few close friends there as well. The only reason not to rank it first would be if you thought you couldn't handle the intense training without burning out (but I think this only happens when people have no outside support/friends--and you've got 3 in denver).

The only reason I would move vanderbilt up would be if you are very close to your parents or if you have a strong desire to be near them in particular... otherwise, the other cities are better and they still have great programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
waterski232002 said:
Here's my 2 cents...

1) Denver
2) UCSD
3-4) Stanford
3-4) Oregon
5) Vanderbilt

I think denver should be the hands down #1 out of these based on reputation, city, and the fact that you have a few close friends there as well. The only reason not to rank it first would be if you thought you couldn't handle the intense training without burning out (but I think this only happens when people have no outside support/friends--and you've got 3 in denver).

The only reason I would move vanderbilt up would be if you are very close to your parents or if you have a strong desire to be near them in particular... otherwise, the other cities are better and they still have great programs.

yeah, that looks about right. :thumbup:

Personally, never understood a 4 year program...you could probably ask 4th year seniors the same question and get a similar answer.
Reputation is nice, but it won't pay your loans or pay you 200k. But then again, I am a DO also...so what do I care about reputations?