Please help me with my ranklist!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nyc31

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I am currently appying to internal medicine residency in hopes of going into cardiology. Long story short, I know that university based programs and community programs with strong track record of placing into competitive fellowships are best. Problem is most of my programs seem very similar on paper. Please let me know what you think about potential rank order list for these programs!

Rutgers NJMS (decent placement)
Cedars-Sinai (place into great institutions)
U of Arizona Tucson (Inhouse placement)
Montefiore (great rep, horrible hours)
St. Lukes-Roosevelt (decent placement)
Einstein Philly (place into great institutions)
Cooper (inhouse placement)
U of Arizona Phoenix (inhouse placement)
Lenox Hill (not great placement)
Beth Israel NYC (downsizing/closing 2020)
Winthrop (strong comm program)
SUNY Downstate (malignant)

I don't want to go anywhere malignant just so I can get a fellowship. I have enough research and will continue anywhere I go just need some feedback about these places. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do NOT go to Mount Sinai Beth Israel. The hospital is closing in 2 years and that will not reflect well for future fellowship opportunities (and for your training). Look at fellowship matches for each program. Taking a quick look on your list Monte seems the strongest assuming the Moses campus

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Do NOT go to Mount Sinai Beth Israel. The hospital is closing in 2 years and that will not reflect well for future fellowship opportunities (and for your training). Look at fellowship matches for each program. Taking a quick look on your list Monte seems the strongest assuming the Moses campus

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

So I am aware of Beth Israel transitioning to a smaller hospital. They are planing to tranition in 2020 so the last year would be the only one that could be iffy. They said you would be placed at another sinai site. Regardless I wont rank it high. Monte has a great reputation but my friend there says schedule is absolutely horrible. On paper some of the other programs do much better placing into good cards sites. Thanks for your response!

Members don't see this ad :)
So I am aware of Beth Israel transitioning to a smaller hospital. They are planing to tranition in 2020 so the last year would be the only one that could be iffy. They said you would be placed at another sinai site. Regardless I wont rank it high. Monte has a great reputation but my friend there says schedule is absolutely horrible. On paper some of the other programs do much better placing into good cards sites. Thanks for your response!
Monte the best program by a pretty fair margin on that list. You need to be happy wherever you go though so fit is really important. If you don't think you'd be happy at monte then I'd consider ranking it lower. As far as the cardiology placement goes, which programs have the best track record for cardiology matches? I'm a monte resident and the last couple years have had fairly solid matches, although nothing spectacular. Many of the programs on your list are community programs and they will not set you up well for an academic cardiology fellowship.

As for monte, here are the last 3 yrs cards matches--- only 1 cardiology match at a community program and no one unmatched

Monte x2
Yale
Drexel

Monte x3
NYU
Nslij x2
UC-irvine
Methodist NY

CCF
Monte
Umdnj
Umass