Please help me with my school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Batman's Underwear

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There are many good programs in this list. I suggest applying to the ones where you want to live, and then those nearby, and then those further away. When I applied I made concentric circles around my home town and went from there. I encourage you to apply broadly, and interview widely and see where you feel most comfortable and happy.

I ended up choosing a mid tier clinically focused program 500 miles from my home town, because I was so happy with the city, attending staff, and collegial senior residents. It was not "top tier" but I know now I did get excellent training. I listed some top 10 programs lower on my rank list and have never regretted it, though there was not much wrong with them. Do what feels right and makes sense for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
They are "programs" and not "schools"...you will be a resident in training, not a student.

You say you have no geog preference, but all of your list is in the northeastern US or mid atlantic. Big country out there...try to find some programs to apply to in each time zone...

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They are "programs" and not "schools"...you will be a resident in training, not a student.

You say you have no geog preference, but all of your list is in the northeastern US or mid atlantic. Big country out there...try to find some programs to apply to in each time zone...
Unless that really is your geographic preference after all.

Unless that really is your geographic preference after all.

I have been living in East Coast for all of my life and never been to West Coast or other regions of the United States. Could guys recommend any other programs that are in other regions?

I have been living in East Coast for all of my life and never been to West Coast or other regions of the United States. Could guys recommend any other programs that are in other regions?
If your only identified goal is to "be a good psychiatrist after my training" (whatever that means to you...a good consult psychiatrist? A good psychotherapist? A good outpatient psychopharmacologist?), virtually any program in the US or Canada will fit the bill. You would so well to identify a few more specific goals. And west coast, east coast, midwest, southwest, southeast...all a matter of personal preference.