Please help me with this dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Forkit

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am in a serious dilemma. I just found out that I recieved an "F" on my Chemistry 2 class. What's the issue is that I got the "F" because I got a "-5" on my final because I forgot to bubble in my test version in my scantron. Before I got my grade I emailed my teacher that I took test version B, but still he didnt care to grade my final fairly. I think its absolutely stupid that I am getting an F in a science class for some small mistake.

Is it possible to convert the F to a W? What actions do I need to take? Your advice will be HIGHLY APPRECIATED. Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

it depends on your school's policy. you should definitely try contacting your advisors and or the department head and see what you can do to rectify the situation.

it depends on your school's policy. you should definitely try contacting your advisors and or the department head and see what you can do to rectify the situation.

If that doesnt work, can I put in a letter in my application explaining the situation? I have evidence to back my claim up (prof's emails).

Members don't see this ad :)
There should be a published grievance policy for your school. I suggest you follow that. Generally it starts with the professor (which you've done), then you take it to the dept head, dean etc.

Usually there's a formal appeals process. Follow that and see where it takes you.

If that doesnt work, can I put in a letter in my application explaining the situation? I have evidence to back my claim up (prof's emails).

A letter wouldn't really help much. You could address it in a secondary, though, if you could do it without making yourself look bad. Plenty of apps have sections to explain any lapses in education or "poor" performance.

don't worry about your application at this point, it's just going to be an undue stressor. Focus on the task at hand and try to get your test graded properly.

don't worry about your application at this point, it's just going to be an undue stressor. Focus on the task at hand and try to get your test graded properly.

Thanks bro. Should should I contact after my professor? The dean or the head of the chem department?

Thanks bro. Should should I contact after my professor? The dean or the head of the chem department?

Whoever's next in the ladder would be good, so can you avoid causing unnecessary animosity at higher levels. Sounds like the head of the Chem department wold be next in line, if there isn't anyone in between.

I hope this all works out for you. That really sucks. It bears mentioning, though, that forgetting to fill out a scantron for a test is not a small mistake by any means. As you're probably now well aware, that's probably more in the league of "huge."

I hope this all works out for you. That really sucks. It bears mentioning, though, that forgetting to fill out a scantron for a test is not a small mistake by any means. As you're probably now well aware, that's probably more in the league of "huge."

Even for a single bubble? I could understand not grading for not filling in any of the bubbles, but I think the OP only left out the test version bubble (and somehow ended with negative points).

Oh, that's different. I thought he meant something like he had a multiple choice test and circled the answers on the test or something and didn't fill the scantron out at all. If he just left off the test version, the situation REALLY sucks. I'd be super pissed at the prof for not doing anything about that.

typically it's the dept head, but you should have something in that big packet of handouts they gave you on the first day of class that says the order of who to talk to if you have a complaint. It's usually in the syllabus.

I should also mention that you want to be calm, polite and tactful when handling this. You don't ever want to sound accusatory. If you're agitated or come off as aggressive, their natural response is going to be to not want to help you. The best way to handle this will be to present the facts, let the situation speak for itself and allow them to draw their own conclusions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I should also mention that you want to be calm, polite and tactful when handling this. You don't ever want to sound accusatory. If you're agitated or come off as aggressive, their natural response is going to be to not want to help you. The best way to handle this will be to present the facts, let the situation speak for itself and allow them to draw their own conclusions.

Thanks! I'm out of state atm, so is it ok if I email the head? Or should I wait till class reopens?

Thanks! I'm out of state atm, so is it ok if I email the head? Or should I wait till class reopens?

I would say a polite, but direct email now. You may not get an answer back for a while, but at least you can say you attempted to make contact if you end up not being able to speak with him/her directly once class is back in session.

definitely email... don't wait too long. that's utterly ridiculous that he won't grade your final exam.

definitely email... don't wait too long. that's utterly ridiculous that he won't grade your final exam.

The fact that I didnt bubble the test version has somehow means I didnt not show up for the exam when it comes to the calculation. I emailed the prof my test version BEFORE he even graded the test.

I am so sick of this bs lol.

I got a "-5" on my final

did this -5 drop you down to an F?

otherwise you would have had a D of some sort, correct? -5 isn't going to drop you to an F from an A or B.

Regardless, D's aren't much better. You didn't follow instructions. I make stupid mistakes on exams all the time and get docked for it, I don't understand the difference here.

Either way you're going to want to retake the course and rock it.

otherwise you would have had a D of some sort, correct? -5 isn't going to drop you to an F from an A or B.

Regardless, D's aren't much better. You didn't follow instructions. I make stupid mistakes on exams all the time and get docked for it, I don't understand the difference here.

hold the phone... say you have a class with 4 tests (was typical for me) three 90s and a -5 gives me an F. And a lot of classes the final is worth more than other tests. I'd definitely say it is possible.

I think that was a negative five overall (as in less than 0), not a five point dock.

I think he means he got -5 points for his final, as in negative credit for it..if the final was worth a large percentage of his grade (as it generally is) he could have easily dropped from an A to an F.

Sounds pretty fair to me.

Both of you guys are pretty cold...you think one mistake should discount an entire semester of work? Mistakes happen...the OP took responsibility as soon as he realized it and emailed the prof. Personally, if I was the prof I would have emailed a student who forgot to fill this in and asked what version of the test they had. Why discount the work they did on a technicality...that's just being a jerk for the sake of being a jerk.

The final is 1/3 of the entire grade, and I had a B before the final. If I get a -5 on the final, then obviously I'll get an F. Did you ever make a mistake as minor as mine and get an F for the entire semester? If not, then STFU.

If I get a -5 on the final, then obviously I'll get an F.

I see. -5 overall, not -5 off.

Makes much more sense. Me = confused.

Give 'em hell kiddo!

Wow, to both 'Tired' and the OP ... I cannot believe a professor would ever do that. I've had professors send out mass emails that students have forgotten to put names on exams or properly fill out test codes and have NEVER heard a professor say he/she would not grade an exam because of something like this. Crazy. I think the advice has been good so far OP. You should take this to the next level.

I think the proper response would be to walk up to him...... and punch him straight on the nose. If you've ever been punched on the nose.... real hard, you'll understand why this would be so enjoyable.

I think the proper response would be to walk up to him...... and punch him straight on the nose. If you've ever been punched on the nose.... real hard, you'll understand why this would be so enjoyable.

Somehow I don't think this will improve his chances at getting that exam regraded...:laugh:

Realize that you need to file a grievance ASAP. You can't file a formal grievance after a certain period of time at many schools. If you could, everyone on SDN would have 4.0s (and extremely brown noses).

?

Really? You really need further clarification on this?

The prof hands you a scantron sheet. They say, "Bubble the correct letter corresponding to your answer to each question." You fail to fill in the bubble for a particular question. Then obviously that question is graded as incorrect.

Is that hard to understand?

My understanding is that the OP bubbled in the Scantron, but failed to bubble in the Test Form bubble at the top (you know the bubble you fill in to say you're taking Version A, Version B, etc. of the test).

?

Really? You really need further clarification on this?

The prof hands you a scantron sheet. They say, "Bubble the correct letter corresponding to your answer to each question." You fail to fill in the bubble for a particular question. Then obviously that question is graded as incorrect.

Is that hard to understand?

So the test version was graded as incorrect for a 105% penalty and this is just fine?

Me too. Plus, if 5 points brought you down to an F, I'm guessing you weren't doing too hot in that class. I wonder how much better a D looks as opposed to an F. I think you have bigger problems if you are serious about med school.

... Please refer to the original post again.

It's not a five-point penalty. It's a 105-point (percentage) penalty.

Ok... here's what I don't get. Why a -5??? How can you get less than a 0 on a test? I can understand the logic behind a 0 (definitely not saying its right), but would the OP have been better off getting every single question wrong???

Ok so lets clarify for the confused in this post. I understood that he bubbled in the test, but not his test version. Resulting in a grade of -5, not a 5 point dock.

Geez, take it to the top, you gotta fight this one. I didn't even know you could get negative points on an exam. Man!

Ok... here's what I don't get. Why a -5??? How can you get less than a 0 on a test? I can understand the logic behind a 0 (definitely not saying its right), but would the OP have been better off getting every single question wrong???

Certainly sounds that way...:scared:

With random answers you'd at least expect a ~25...

The professor probably assigned arbitrary point values to the questions. i.e. lazy teacher.

Ok so lets clarify for the confused in this post. I understood that he bubbled in the test, but not his test version. Resulting in a grade of -5, not a 5 point dock.

Geez, take it to the top, you gotta fight this one. I didn't even know you could get negative points on an exam. Man!

Correct. I answered everything but I didnt bubble in my test form. I scored -5/100.

By not bubbling in the test version, the professor assumes that I didnt show up for the final, which is utter bs considering that he emailed me that I forgot to bubble my test version. The only way one can get a negative point is not showing up.

... Please refer to the original post again.

It's not a five-point penalty. It's a 105-point (percentage) penalty.

Yes, and that score counts for 1/3 of my overall grade :(

The suggestions of speaking to the department heads and such are good, but your school should probably have an academic ombudsman whose job it is to help you out with stuff like this; he or she would know best what to do. Look it up on your school website. Don't antagonize your teacher.

Thanks everyone for your valuable advice and input. I'm gonna email the chemistry head and see what he thinks.

I'll update this thread so that anyone in a similar situation can relate to me in the future.

I would call, not e-mail. This issue is too ugly of one to get involved with by e-mail. The Head might "misplace" the e-mail. Before you call the Head of the department contact a professional academic advisor in your school's advising department to get the nitty gritty on what you have to do. Academic advising is usually the biggest supporter of students on campus.

And remember, ASAP! There is usually a time limit. Consult your handbook.

I can't believe this.... some profs are just jerks.... I mean seriously. This one has me fuming, and it's not even my problem.

I've had my share of ******* profs as well. But if you're persistent, they will give in eventually. If all fails, look on the bright side, at least you'll never forget to bubble in the scantron ever again!

Congrats you've been a victim of severe TDb. I recommend you go to the higher-ups as mentioned above.

*Toolhood and Douchbaggery

I would call, not e-mail. This issue is too ugly of one to get involved with by e-mail. The Head might "misplace" the e-mail. Before you call the Head of the department contact a professional academic advisor in your school's advising department to get the nitty gritty on what you have to do. Academic advising is usually the biggest supporter of students on campus.

And remember, ASAP! There is usually a time limit. Consult your handbook.

I don't know, I think I would be more inclined to email. That way you have a record of everything, when and what you said and what the response was. If they don't respond with email follow up with a call maybe, but I'd definitely start with things in writing. Good luck

I don't know, I think I would be more inclined to email. That way you have a record of everything, when and what you said and what the response was. If they don't respond with email follow up with a call maybe, but I'd definitely start with things in writing. Good luck

I concur.

Why did the prof email you asking for your test version and then not accept the answer you gave?