Please help mee!! :( :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lawyergirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm having a major panic attack about the damage my sGPA can cause to my chances of getting accepted
I'm a canadian university student and I haven't written the MCAT yet

my gpa this year is 4.0
my cgpa is going to be around 3.75
my sgpa however is about 3.5 :(

I have a good EC though..lots of part time jobs, volunteering positions, co-op, and one research with a prof plus and independent study

i'm not picky about where i apply in the states, but i really really want to get into either NYU or Columbia...am I reaching for the stars with my low sGPA? or do you think if I do good on my MCAT i'll still have a chance

any advice would be great!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,
I'm having a major panic attack about the damage my sGPA can cause to my chances of getting accepted
I'm a canadian university student and I haven't written the MCAT yet

my gpa this year is 4.0
my cgpa is going to be around 3.75
my sgpa however is about 3.5 :(

I have a good EC though..lots of part time jobs, volunteering positions, co-op, and one research with a prof plus and independent study

i'm not picky about where i apply in the states, but i really really want to get into either NYU or Columbia...am I reaching for the stars with my low sGPA? or do you think if I do good on my MCAT i'll still have a chance

any advice would be great!!!

Well your sGPA is about average for the accepted applicant and your cGPA is a little bit above average. In addition, you noted that you have a GPA of 4.00 this term - ADCOM's are typically very interested in both the grades themselves and the trend in your grades. That being said, I don't think your science GPA will prohibit you from getting into a medical school. This will especially be the case if you ace your MCAT - it has been said before that a lower GPA can be overshadowed by a great MCAT (but not vice versa). As for Colombia and NYU specifically, they're both very competitive schools and in order to be a strong applicant, I think you will really need to blow away your MCAT (34-35+)

Hope this helps