Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Please Help!! Monsieur...

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by YourHomework, Dec 27, 2008.

1. YourHomework

Pre-Medical
    Hi!

I am aiming to apply to the top 20 med schools and I need some serious feedback.

1) I am a sophomore right now, and by the time I graduate I will have a 3.78 cummulative GPA and 3.81 science GPA.

2) I've taken practice MCATs at a Kaplan course and my score averages at 33 R

3) My ECs will consist of by the end of the year
    - 3 semesters of nanotech research
    - 2 semesters of neurosci. research
    - a publication in the Journal of Applied Physics
    - CEO of non-profit
    - Equestrian team
    - Internship w/ biotech firm

4) I plan to certify as an EMT in the near future.

5) I got a B+ in organic chemistry I

I am really worried about my OC grade.

Please tell me honestly what else I should do and if my OC grade will affect my chances. Thank you : )

2. 236116

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    oh my god.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. 236116

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    also ffs.

there's no top 20.
    you're totally fine on the numbers.
    the personality needs work.
    why are you becoming an emt? don't do it just for clin, that's weak.
    where are your vols and clinicals?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. vadd0

Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Wrong forum. See what are my chances ^

5. justapremed

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    how sad. but im bored, kind of.

but also, having been a TA for orgo this past semester with a bunch of freaked-out sophomore premeds, I was surprised to find that some of my students really thought that 1 B (+/-) can really hold them back from a top notch school. One of them asked me if I thought he should retake a pre-med pre-req course where he got a B+...

6. Mobius1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I'd be less concerned about a B+ in Orgo I, considering that you're now highly motivated to get an A in Orgo II, than I am about the fact that you have no clinical experience yet.

7. YourHomework

Pre-Medical
    Didn't mean to post in the wrong place (oopsies), but seriously, I always heard that if you get anything other than As in OC you're doomed. I'm just worried, is all. I don't know what Harvard, Yale, John Hopkins etc adcomms might think of that, hence the post.

Thanks for all the feedback ppl.

8. ar2388

ar2388 rads resident
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    get some cliunical experience for at least a year or so and you will be fine :)

9. iA-MD2013

Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Vadd0 is right...this is the wrong forum.

Moving to What are my chances (WAMC) subforum.

10. CourageKid

CourageKid Don't mind me
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You are absolutley fine with a B+ in organic chemistry, if that is what is really worrying you.

I'd like to add on to what other people are saying about your ECs. For a long time, I thought that numbers/grades were the absolute most important factors in a med school application. So I worried like you about how each grade would be viewed by an AdCom. What I didn't realize for a long time is how important clinical experience is. As in it will be asked at every interview you go to and if someone doesn't think you've had enough, you will get grilled about it. Becoming an EMT is great, but once you get certified, it will take a significant time commitment to be able to take shifts regularly. Additionally, if that is your main experience, you will be asked why you haven't done anything in a hospital. I have extensive experience in I guess non-traditional avenues and it has come up multiple times. Just be prepared to defend yourself.