please help- MS-3 in need of rads advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cd1998

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am at the end of my third year and just decided that I really think I want to go into radiology. For the past few years, I have been gearing myself towards ophtho and so now I know a whole lot about what it takes to match into ophtho, but nothing really about how to match into radiology. I am DESPERATE for some feedback as far as my competitiveness as an applicant (and what types of programs I am competitive for), and what else I can do to supplement my application. Here are my stats:

-Step 1: 234
-2nd quartile at average med school in the Southeast
-B's in all core clerkships (have not taken the formal 4 week radiology clerkship at my school yet)
-Research: (1)1 published basic science paper in international otolaryngology journal (3rd author), (2)1 clinical research paper accepted to American Academy of Ophthalmology for presentation (and possible publication after conference) in major ophtho journal (1st author)
-2 excellent LOR's from Medicine attendings from 3rd year clerkship
-from the Southeast
-no outstanding connections in the field at this point

Any advice/feedback at all would be invaluable: where are my best chances, and am I a competitive applicant at all?

Thank you!
-cd1998

Members don't see this ad.

Obviously, nothing is guaranteed, but based on what you've provided, then you will likely match, assuming that you interview decently. If I were you, to be on the safe side, then I would apply to ~40 programs, and I wouldn't be particular about location either.

Hi,
I am at the end of my third year and just decided that I really think I want to go into radiology. For the past few years, I have been gearing myself towards ophtho and so now I know a whole lot about what it takes to match into ophtho, but nothing really about how to match into radiology. I am DESPERATE for some feedback as far as my competitiveness as an applicant (and what types of programs I am competitive for), and what else I can do to supplement my application. Here are my stats:

-Step 1: 234
-2nd quartile at average med school in the Southeast
-B's in all core clerkships (have not taken the formal 4 week radiology clerkship at my school yet)
-Research: (1)1 published basic science paper in international otolaryngology journal (3rd author), (2)1 clinical research paper accepted to American Academy of Ophthalmology for presentation (and possible publication after conference) in major ophtho journal (1st author)
-2 excellent LOR's from Medicine attendings from 3rd year clerkship
-from the Southeast
-no outstanding connections in the field at this point

Any advice/feedback at all would be invaluable: where are my best chances, and am I a competitive applicant at all?

Thank you!
-cd1998

Dude, you'll be fine. Why do people with over 230 worry? It's guys like me with a 225 that have to worry. :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
i dont understand why everyone is going nuts. on the nrmp thing it said 169/179 people with 221-230 matched. whats all the worry for?

I hear those 10 unlucky people were eaten by wolves after being beaten by Barry Bonds on a steroid rage. :scared:

i dont understand why everyone is going nuts. on the nrmp thing it said 169/179 people with 221-230 matched. whats all the worry for?
that was in 2005, and rads has probably gotten a bit more competitive since then, and also it sucks to be one of those 10

Most of the ppl who didnt match in that usmle bracket are probably one of the following catagories:

1) failed step 1 the first time
2) crap grades
3) crap letters
4) didn't put enough programs on ROL

those ppl who are "unlucky" only seem to be a large population because they all post here or auntminnie, and we all read it.

as far as more competitive....i've heard its either the same or less competitive than it used to be. But what I hear and what you hear is solely based on who we talk to, so if everyone i talk to says its not competitive, and everyone who you talk to says it is competitive, where does that leave us?

yeah i agree, my program director told me that this past years applicants had higher stats than the ones from previous years.. but thats just in one program, and shouldn't be generalized

and also, its just natural to worry

Take it for what you will, but there were only 17 unmatched spots this year, compared to mid 30s the previous year, and mid 40s the year before. Those 17 spots were also distributed among a smaller subset of programs (i.e. 8 of those spots were from 2 programs) and there were no top tier programs that had any "accidentally" unfilled spots (i.e. Columbia had one spot in the scramble last year). Lastly, programs that tended to have spots left open in previous years did not have spots open this year (i.e. Peoria, West Virginia). Radiology may not be as difficult to get into as the early 2000s, when only 4 or 5 unmatched spots were left, but it still is hard to get into.