Please help, my sister will be coming on B2 visa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
T

tennis_cricket

in 3 days. She has a 10-year multiple entry visa from India. I am a US citizen. I can sponsor her for GC and that takes 12-14 years.

She is a dentist in India. She has a DDs from Madras Dental College and has been in practice for 14 years. I am encouraging her to complete Part 1 and Part 2 Dental exams while she is here. Meanwhile, I am trying to encourage her to go to Nursing school and get a degree through the expedited program to obtain a green card. Is this a dumb move? She is very upset by my suggestion that she has to become a nurse from being a dentist.

The other temporary option to switch to F-1 is through Kaplan by taking their classes or attend a Community College as a Dental Hygienist. The problem is converting the visa to F-1 from B2. Since 9/11, it has been very difficult to switch visa. You need to wait for 60 days before you apply. Has any one switched the B2 visa to F1 through Kaplan? Would this be little easier for the community college as supposed to Kaplan for Visa switch over? Still, H-1 or green card is still critical for her eventually.

There is one other option, which is going to Canada after US licensure. Can she practice there?

Even if she gets her dental license in a year or 2, can she get a H1-B visa through a dental school as a faculty or work in underserved areas and ask for visa waiver?
Has any one experienced any similar experience? Please let me know what to do here? What should I do now? Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated here. Please send me a private email if you prefer.

[email protected]

Thanks

Ajay

Members don't see this ad.

rajkang said:
classic case of too much thinking making things overcomplicated.
She can get licensed as a dentist here and get H1B and then green card. For details, read all the threads on this forum. Simple........

:laugh: :thumbup:

tennis_cricket said:
She is a dentist in India. She has a DDs from Madras Dental College and has been in practice for 14 years. I am encouraging her to complete Part 1 and Part 2 Dental exams while she is here.

I don't know how long she's going to be here, but if she has been out of school for 14 years chances are she'll need a bit more study time than most of us in this forum who are recent graduates. I'm not saying she's not capable of passing the boards, but they're not that easy (they're not supossed to be) and it takes a while to relearn all that stuff to get a decent score. So try to create realistic expectations.

tennis_cricket said:
Meanwhile, I am trying to encourage her to go to Nursing school and get a degree through the expedited program to obtain a green card. Is this a dumb move? She is very upset by my suggestion that she has to become a nurse from being a dentist.

That's a very smart move right now. There's this very critical nurse shortage in the US, so she'll have an easier time that route. And tell her is better to be a nurse than to be a dental assistant (which many foreign dentists end up doing). A registered nurse makes much better than a dental assistant.

tennis_cricket said:
There is one other option, which is going to Canada after US licensure. Can she practice there?

Visit the Canadian Dental Association and find out.

tennis_cricket said:
Even if she gets her dental license in a year or 2...

The truth is that things aren't as smooth and fast as you put it for your sister. If she comes to the US right now, she probably will take longer than "a year or 2" to obtain her dental license here. Most of us in this forum have been in this pathway for a while now, and certanly most (if not all) are not licensed yet.

But maybe a good option for your sister you'll be Minnesota. Do a search on this forum to find out about it. Or call the Minnesota dental board.

Also you might want to print out the FAQ thread and send it to her, for her to read it. It may show you a clearer view on how things work. Also take a look at the thread "Links of interest...".

Good luck :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
check ur pm tennis

There are so many major hurdles for my sister.

1) She has to switch the B2 to F1 or H1 visa somehow. Can she apply for a Dental Assistant postion and get H1-B sponsorship while she is here? Has any one done that? What I was told by every one is that, it is alomost impossible to convert the B2 to F1 visa while she is in USA. If she can do it, I will get her admission with a community college program and pursue the board exams.

2) The second hurdle is, what if she passes the board exam while she is in F-1 or H1B or B2 status, can she get a job as a dental faculty and get sponsored for H1-B and green card eventually through the university? Are the dnetal schools hurting for faculty positions?

3) she is 37 years old now. SHe used to be the best student from Madras Dental COllege (elite one in India). Now she has to reconquer her lost touch, but she has taken MDs entrance exams till 1995. So, she is not too far behind. SHe is eager to get started. She has used the dental decks and old ADA exams in the past for Part 1. I hope this may be the least of all hurdles.

Please help me clear some douubts w.r.t three hurdles.

Thanks again.

Ajay

rajkang said:
classic case of too much thinking making things overcomplicated.
She can get licensed as a dentist here and get H1B and then green card. For details, read all the threads on this forum. Simple........

Show me the links, please

How long have you been in the states and why does your sister want to give up practice of 14 years in India?And even if she studeied for MDS entrance exams till 1995 that was 9 years ago.Getting licensed in the US is a long and expensive process.Her best bet would be to try to get a faculty position as there is a shortage of dental faculty in the states.As far as getting an H1 for a dental assistant,I don't think anyone would be willing to do that.And I am not surprised that she was mad at you.If anyone made that suggestion to me to be a nurse (assuming I had been a dentist for 14 years),I would be made too.Thers nothing wrong with being a nurse,its just that its a different profession altogether................
Good luck to you and your sister.

drmouse said:
How long have you been in the states and why does your sister want to give up practice of 14 years in India?And even if she studeied for MDS entrance exams till 1995 that was 9 years ago.Getting licensed in the US is a long and expensive process.Her best bet would be to try to get a faculty position as there is a shortage of dental faculty in the states.As far as getting an H1 for a dental assistant,I don't think anyone would be willing to do that.And I am not surprised that she was mad at you.If anyone made that suggestion to me to be a nurse (assuming I had been a dentist for 14 years),I would be made too.Thers nothing wrong with being a nurse,its just that its a different profession altogether................
Good luck to you and your sister.

Can a US dental school hire foreign dentists? I doubt it. If so, the hwole dental school would be flocked with foreign dentists. I just checked the requirement for a faculty position at Marquette, they want the person to be licensed here. So the chances are rather small. If you know of a school, send me a PM. Thanks anyways.

if she does finish a two year advance standing programme,she can get the license.
when she gets the license she has to look for a job and then here emplyer will sponcer her an H1 visa,make a thourough search in this forum to get enlightened.
how long would it take here to get nursery license and degree?i would advice here to become a nurse ,they are really well paid without malpractice or any responsibility other than taking care of the patient.

by the way,she doesent have to be in the USA to log in and ask us hereself,tell her to browse this forum and inquire hereself since she is the one who will go through the process.

tennis_cricket said:
Can a US dental school hire foreign dentists? I doubt it. If so, the hwole dental school would be flocked with foreign dentists.

It can be possible, but in order for school to be willing to make such an effort the foreign dentist must have a reputable career in research, teaching, etc. It must someone with unquestionable experience in it's field of expertise. Someone with post-graduate degrees, PhD, publications, years of teaching experience, etc.

All of the above is assuming the foreign trained dentist is not licensed in the US, and hasn't gone to school in the US either.

tennis_cricket said:
1) She has to switch the B2 to F1 or H1 visa somehow. Can she apply for a Dental Assistant postion and get H1-B sponsorship while she is here? Has any one done that? What I was told by every one is that, it is alomost impossible to convert the B2 to F1 visa while she is in USA. If she can do it, I will get her admission with a community college program and pursue the board exams.

Nope. Dental Asistant is not considered a proffesional degree, and thus doesn't qualify for H1B visa. I don't think is impossible to change from B2 to F1, as long as she has the means to prove it. But it can be a lenghty and expensive process. Immigration fees aren't cheap, plus you might need a lawyer.

For more info in immigration things take a look at the "Links of interest..." thead. There are a bunch of immigration links there. There's even a discussion board where you could post your questions and get expert advice.

tennis_cricket said:
Show me the links, please

Do a search. You might want to start by the FAQ and Links of interests threads.

No hope for my sister except trying to pass the boards and then get the license from MN. That is it. The nursing school idea is not a good solution either. The only reason I thought about nursing is for the GC. It ain't worth it.

Where can we go from there to get the H-1 and GC? The absolute bottom line is H1 and GC. I can start the sponsorship for her being a citizen. That will take 12 years.

Being a dentist is worse than a doctor/nurse/pharmacist/OT/PT. No visa waivers/GC nothing. My cousin sister and her husband are in the process of getting EAD and they are both physicians. They are lucky and clever. I looked at this whole situation from all the angles. The limiting factor is 'VISA'.

If any one knows more than what I know, please share it. I know most of you are here are all with some H1-B spouses/GC spouses. My sister is still married but it may not be the case next year. I hope there is some light at the end of the tunnel after her personal life issue settles down. Thanks a lot for all of you who pitched in great tips.

Note: If any has any dental decks and old exams, pls contact me @
[email protected]

tennis_cricket said:
No hope for my sister except trying to pass the boards and then get the license from MN. That is it. The nursing school idea is not a good solution either. The only reason I thought about nursing is for the GC. It ain't worth it.

Where can we go from there to get the H-1 and GC? The absolute bottom line is H1 and GC. I can start the sponsorship for her being a citizen. That will take 12 years.

Being a dentist is worse than a doctor/nurse/pharmacist/OT/PT. No visa waivers/GC nothing. My cousin sister and her husband are in the process of getting EAD and they are both physicians. They are lucky and clever. I looked at this whole situation from all the angles. The limiting factor is 'VISA'.

If any one knows more than what I know, please share it. I know most of you are here are all with some H1-B spouses/GC spouses. My sister is still married but it may not be the case next year. I hope there is some light at the end of the tunnel after her personal life issue settles down. Thanks a lot for all of you who pitched in great tips.

Note: If any has any dental decks and old exams, pls contact me @
[email protected][/quote]
your pessimistic post made me depressed.
many solutions were given here which sound so reasonable to solve your sister problem.

rajkang said:
I met a foreign dentist once, she was working as a dental assistant on H1 visa. And the way she got it was that she was hired as a dental researcher but was working as a dental assistant. But it would be hard for somebody from India to work as a dental assistant as techniques and tools here are different from india.

Well, that's a very special exception. You must have an employer willing to lie in order to hire you. Usually a family member or close friend or something.

tennis_cricket said:

Well, sorry to break the bad news, but no one said it was 'gonna be easy.

Yeah we complain about our case beign the hardest all the time. As ironic as it sounds medical doctors have the easiest time of all.

:idea: You can always arrange your sister to marry a US citizen. ;) :p

Your sister should seriously consider Minnesota option.......With her work experience, she will have a better chance than any one else! And unless you try, you will never know the possibilities!

kpat