Please help narrow my list of schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

customx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Non-traditional applicant, took nearly all of my pre-reqs at a community college except biochem. I'll take biochem 2 and micro 2 at UW, and physics 3 and a&p 2 at a CC.
Stats: 110 hours volunteering, 300+ hours shadowing, have been working full-time while taking classes, 3.41 sGPA, 3.44 oGPA and 3.42 BCP GPA with 22AA, 22 TS, 19 PAT, 24 RC.

I'm a WA resident, so UW is #1 on my list, but here are the others I have:

Columbia
UCSF
UoP
Uconn
Maryland
UNLV
Western
Michigan
Buffalo
VCU
Colorado
Louisville
Midwestern Arizona
LECOM
Penn
NOVA

I want to narrow this list down, but I also want to ensure that I get in somewhere this year. I've included a few reach schools (Columbia, UCSF, UoP, Penn), some safety schools (is there such a thing?) and some schools which I feel I am fairly competitive at. I have enough funds saved to apply to all, but I want to be smart with my money and save it if I can. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do all of these schools accept cc prerequisites? Just something to check! I almost made a huge mistake last year regarding prereqs!!

Do all of these schools accept cc prerequisites? Just something to check! I almost made a huge mistake last year regarding prereqs!!
Yes, I have checked each school and I'm well below their maximum allowed number of credits since I've only taken science prereqs at a CC. My BA was earned at UW.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, though my school labels the course as "anatomy and physiology." I've taken the first quarter and plan to take the second course if necessary. I'm going to hold off on a few pre-reqs until I find out which school I will hopefully attend come December.

Dude. We have near identical GPA's and if I plan to apply to many of those same schools.

Wow, that's a lot of schools! I would definitely cut a few from the list, but your stats look good otherwise.

Wow, that's a lot of schools! I would definitely cut a few from the list, but your stats look good otherwise.

Yeah, but I'm having a very hard time trying to eliminate some. I put an X next to UNC, Oregon, and Rutgers to eliminate those. I feel pretty comfortable with the 17 schools I have selected now but I'm still researching what schools emphasize to try and eliminate a couple more.

I think cutting state schools that are not the most oos friendly could be a good way to go, since that's what I assume you're indicating. I asked one of my friends who is in dental school her advice about cutting schools and she indicated that she wished she hadn't applied to so many state schools (outside of her state) that never ended up granting her interviews. Then again, I guess the counter argument is that some people do get in. It's your choice in the end.

Reactions: 1 user
All of the schools that I have listed are relatively OOS friendly, except for UCSF, Western and Buffalo.

Can anyone else offer advice? I'm going to submit my app this morning

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

If you'd like to narrow it down a bit more, choose the two/three that you'd really prefer NOT to attend and get rid of them. If worst comes to worst, you can always add them later.

If you'd like to narrow it down a bit more, choose the two/three that you'd really prefer NOT to attend and get rid of them. If worst comes to worst, you can always add them later.

By later, do you mean in a few weeks after I've thought about it more, or are you talking months down the road? Thanks for the advice

By later, do you mean in a few weeks after I've thought about it more, or are you talking months down the road? Thanks for the advice

Say you wait until the end of August and invites aren't rolling in like you wish... Add them then. A little bit "late," but not a huge deal.