Please help, Need Advice for DATs (have been out of school for a while)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

suite_pee39

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I took Biology, Chemistry, and Organic Chemistry when I went to a community college back in 2006-2008. I was a Biology major at UC Davis and was pre-dental until something occurred in my life that prevented me from applying to Dental School. I went onto UOP Dental Hygiene and graduated with my RDH degree 2 years ago. I can now apply to Dental School and would love any advice!

My biggest fear of the entire process is the DAT considering it's been 9 years since I took biology. What programs do you all suggest I study? DAT Destroyer, CrackDAT, Chad's Videos, a combination of anything else? I'd appreciate a breakdown of your DAT scores as well and if you applied to UOP Dental (my top school) but it's totally ok if you didn't because I'm looking for any and all advice.

Also, I'm looking to apply in 2016 and I want to begin studying now. I'd love a breakdown of a study schedule as well. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there. I took my sciences classes between 2008-2012. And took the DAT in Aug 2015. I can add a link to my breakdown if you like.

My suggestion is to use Chad's videos to relearn chem and to use Cliff's for Bio. Also Youtube now has a ton of good Bio videos that weren't around back in our day. Those should get you caught up to do questions.

Reactions: 1 user
I second Chad. He can teach you everything you need to know for ochem and gchem. For bio I recommend cliffs 3rd edition! And for videos crash course is good and Craig savage is REALLY GOOD for phyla, plant bio, reproductive, immune system, etc! I broke down a lot of the materials I used in my breakdown!

Reactions: 1 users
I'd add use Destroyer for learning advanced concepts in science and tougher math.

Use DAT Genius for PAT learning and practice. DG teaches PAT better than BC in my opinion.

CrackDAT I think is a waste of money.

Use DG and BC for timed practice towards the end.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there. I took my sciences classes between 2008-2012. And took the DAT in Aug 2015. I can add a link to my breakdown if you like.

My suggestion is to use Chad's videos to relearn chem and to use Cliff's for Bio. Also Youtube now has a ton of good Bio videos that weren't around back in our day. Those should get you caught up to do questions.

I would love it if you could link your breakdown! I appreciate all of the help :) All of the responses are giving me some confidence that is much needed. Would you mind sharing your DAT scores as well? Thank you

I second Chad. He can teach you everything you need to know for ochem and gchem. For bio I recommend cliffs 3rd edition! And for videos crash course is good and Craig savage is REALLY GOOD for phyla, plant bio, reproductive, immune system, etc! I broke down a lot of the materials I used in my breakdown!

Wonderful, do you think you could link your breakdown so I could check it out? I appreciate all of the help :) If your DAT scores aren't listed in the breakdown, would you mind sharing them? You guys are the best!

I'd add use Destroyer for learning advanced concepts in science and tougher math.

Use DAT Genius for PAT learning and practice. DG teaches PAT better than BC in my opinion.

CrackDAT I think is a waste of money.

Use DG and BC for timed practice towards the end.

What is BC? And thank you for the help! I heard CrackDAT was awesome for the PAT, did you purchase both CrackDat and DAT Genius? Would you mind posting your DAT scores? You all are great!