Please Help! Need advice. Minority, Financial disadvantage, Non-Trad.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fsd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.
I thank you for taking the time to read this.

I graduated from UCLA 2014 with a 3.7 GPA Psychology degree. At the time, I was not convinced I wanted to pursue medicine simply because I thought a girl like me could never accomplish that. For most of my childhood, I lived in a two bedroom apartment with about 15 others. I slept on the floor most of my life because there was never any money at home. Thereafter, I moved around A LOT throughout high school. My household was extremely abusive. I watched my mom get beat, I myself was sexually abused all the time, and people fought almost everyday. I had NO KNOWLEDGE of science.

Somehow, I got to UCLA and was introduced to the world of medicine. I fell IN LOVE!!! I have worked in research and have published since then. I am currently a full-time tutor (because it allows for a flexible schedule and I want to help out disadvantaged students who struggle just like I did) and have started taking the pre-requisites at UCLA Extension. HOWEVER, I struggle financially since I am out here by myself and have been taking ONE pre-requisite at a time (that is all I can afford). Of course, I have Ace'd them but I am worried about having completed the pre-requisites one by one.

Does anybody have any advice for me?

Once again, I really appreciate your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello.
I thank you for taking the time to read this.

I graduated from UCLA 2014 with a 3.7 GPA Psychology degree. At the time, I was not convinced I wanted to pursue medicine simply because I thought a girl like me could never accomplish that. For most of my childhood, I lived in a two bedroom apartment with about 15 others. I slept on the floor most of my life because there was never any money at home. Thereafter, I moved around A LOT throughout high school. My household was extremely abusive. I watched my mom get beat, I myself was sexually abused all the time, and people fought almost everyday. I had NO KNOWLEDGE of science.

Somehow, I got to UCLA and was introduced to the world of medicine. I fell IN LOVE!!! I have worked in research and have published since then. I am currently a full-time tutor (because it allows for a flexible schedule and I want to help out disadvantaged students who struggle just like I did) and have started taking the pre-requisites at UCLA Extension. HOWEVER, I struggle financially since I am out here by myself and have been taking ONE pre-requisite at a time (that is all I can afford). Of course, I have Ace'd them but I am worried about having completed the pre-requisites one by one.

Does anybody have any advice for me?

Once again, I really appreciate your help!
If you can't get fafsa loans because you already have a degree, you moat likely options are paying as you go (like currently) or pick up some table waiting/uber shifts or something like that to be able to afford 2.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you have a compelling reason for taking them only one at a time so my guess is that it won't be held against you. With your GPA and true URM status you should have a very good shot if you get even an average MCAT score.

Reactions: 1 users
I think you have a compelling reason for taking them only one at a time so my guess is that it won't be held against you. With your GPA and true URM status you should have a very good shot if you get even an average MCAT score.

I really appreciate your response! It is very encouraging.

I took them 2 at a time because I also had to work. It takes a bit longer, but you will get there eventually.

Thank you for your reply! It is extremely motivating to hear from others that are in a similar situation. Are you in med school now?