Please help; need opinions on summer research programs/summer classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedmind

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am kind of in a jam right now.

I transferred to a public university this past semester as a sophomore, things didn't work out to put it simply, and I have to go back to my old college where I had a 3.84 GPA whereas at the public U I earned a 3.3....definetly not a competitive GPA for any medical school.

I had to drop a physics course at the public U and now I need to take both physis I and II over this summer, because I want to take my MCAT at the end of junior year.

The problem is I wanted to take a summer research/clinical program like Project Healthcare and Cornells Gateway MD/PhD programs over this coming summer, and obviously it's not looking good, I don't know if it's possible to take a summer program AND take a class over the summer. In fact, since both of those programs are in NYC, and summer classes I am assuming run everday of the week, it definetly won't work, however, I am only a 30 min train ride from NYC.

I don't have a huge amount of clinical experience, I have hospital volunteering, pretty good research experience, and I will be shadowing a radiologist starting tomorrow.

I was thinking that I could enroll in an EMT-B training program and by the summer I will be certified. That way, I could take classes and do calls over the summer, and both would be local (I commute to my university).

My main problem: gaining clinical experience while still needing to complete this physics course over the summer. I will be a junior next year.

Any suggestions? I really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I think doing well in a pre-med requirement class is more important than EC, especially during the summer. You need these two classes and should do well int hem plus you need them for the MCATs. Plus, from what it sounds, you do have some clinical experience, especially if you're starting to shadow a radiologist. So, don't worry about the summer, take these classes, and then get some more clinical experience in during your junior year. I think that'll be fine.

So I am kind of in a jam right now.

I transferred to a public university this past semester as a sophomore, things didn't work out to put it simply, and I have to go back to my old college where I had a 3.84 GPA whereas at the public U I earned a 3.3....definetly not a competitive GPA for any medical school.

I had to drop a physics course at the public U and now I need to take both physis I and II over this summer, because I want to take my MCAT at the end of junior year.

The problem is I wanted to take a summer research/clinical program like Project Healthcare and Cornells Gateway MD/PhD programs over this coming summer, and obviously it's not looking good, I don't know if it's possible to take a summer program AND take a class over the summer. In fact, since both of those programs are in NYC, and summer classes I am assuming run everday of the week, it definetly won't work, however, I am only a 30 min train ride from NYC.

I don't have a huge amount of clinical experience, I have hospital volunteering, pretty good research experience, and I will be shadowing a radiologist starting tomorrow.

I was thinking that I could enroll in an EMT-B training program and by the summer I will be certified. That way, I could take classes and do calls over the summer, and both would be local (I commute to my university).

My main problem: gaining clinical experience while still needing to complete this physics course over the summer. I will be a junior next year.

Any suggestions? I really appreciate it.

The bolded plan is your best choice from the info you gave. EMT IS clinical experience. Combine that with your shadowing and you have a more rounded experience.

Don't even THINK about trying to do a summer program at one of those places while taking both physics classes. You would be short changing yourself on both when you want to get as much as possible out of each.

Remember that quantity does not equal quality. You will have another summer to participate, and your chances of getting in increase as you near the end of your undergrad because they are aware that it is a "now or never" type thing at that point.

G'luck! I hope your transfer back works out well for you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a lot guys. I really appreciate it.

I guess that's probably what I will do now. EMT-B training program (it's Mon and Wed from 7-10pm till June), and I think that will be doable with a 14 credit courseload. By summer I will be certified and will be taking Physics I and II, which doesn't seem unreasonably rigorous on me, unless being a certified EMT-B is extremely time consuming in itself.

One last thing if you don't mind. I was wondering about MCAT classes, specifically Kaplans. There is a center right next to my school and, as a sophomore, was wondering if this was a good time to take an MCAT class. There is a class that starts next week, but like I said, I will be doing EMT-B training.

So my question is, when do most pre-meds take their MCAT prep class if any?

I don't feel qualified to offer an opinion about taking the course. Check out the MCAT forum for that. You might even find some stickies there with good info. At any rate, it's something on the minds of a higher percentage of posters there.

ps - Don't you think my new avatar makes me more memorable? I'm waiting to hear people tell me how awesome it is.

Most take it their Junior year, the semester before taking the MCAT. For instance, if you want to take the MCAT in April/May, then sign up for the Kaplan class that runs until close to your MCAT. Most start in January for the April/May exam. On the kaplan site they have schedules for the upcoming year, i think.