Please help, Need some advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

michuleta

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My score for the August MCAT was 26 R overall (8PS, 9V, 9BS). I know I should probably retake but my problem is that I am currently living/working abroad and it will be difficult for me to take the April 2003 exam. I am planning on applying in June 2003, should I go ahead and take the August test again and slightly delay my complete application? Are there any schools that might accpet me with the current MCAT score? I have lots of activities/volunteer work/leadership experience and a 3.8 GPA. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

hey are u a us citizen/permanent resident cos if u are an international student with a 26 in mcat then u should definitely retake. i am not saying u cant get admitted but that would be like finding a pin in a haystack.

also if u have submitted the amcas now go ahead with the process, if not well if u are willing to risk it i would still advice that u try.

taking it in august or april really depends on u,if u take it in august, there is no guarantee that u will improve and u may be stuck in the same situation as now, try and take it in april but otherwise submit ur amcas early in june and take the august amcas , at least ur application would be complete earlier,

good luck

where are you right now? you can take the mcat in england, and possibly in other countries. if i were you i'd hold off and wait to take it in august. for me, having a fun abroad experience would outweight the benefit of taking the test earlier. that might just be me though. depending on what state you live in, it might be possible to get in with that score. also, there is a possibility you could get into some lower tier private school. it's hard to say really without knowing the rest of your app, and even then some luck is involved.

Your score is very balanced...it may not be as bad as it looks. I have a non-URM friend who got into university of miami with a 26 mcat and a lower gpa than you. But if you have the time and feel that you can improve your score, definitely retake. That's what I'm doing.

Members don't see this ad :)
take kaplan....they can increase that 26 to a 30 or higher, and thou wilst be golden

Hi,

I am not saying your scores are terrible...but could you please let me know what you think you did wrong in preparing for the MCAT...or what you would do differently if you are to take it again. I will be taking the MCAT in april and was looking for advice. Thanks a bunch and good luck if you decide to retake!