Please help: NYMC financial aid policy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mp457

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
NYMC requires that students include parental tax info in their fafsa. But I am over 24, a graduate school student, and financially independent. How did you or will you file your fafsa if you are in my situation? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

mp457 said:
NYMC requires that students include parental tax info in their fafsa. But I am over 24, a graduate school student, and financially independent. How did you or will you file your fafsa if you are in my situation? Thanks.

I am not sure. Have you interviewed and been accepted already? I am asking because I am waitlisted, do we will out the FAFSA for schools we are waitlisted at?

I saw your interview was in march so you may be in my position of not knowing yet.

Putting financial info makes you eligible for institutional aid. However, just because you are eligible that does not mean you will get it. Usually this info is to help disadvantaged students. So if you parental income is low, you should put this down as it will help you get more aid. If it is substantial (IMO >100K/yr) then don't put it down regardless.

I was going to put my parental income down, but recently decided not to. I am just waiting for my W2's to send out my FASFA.

If you are applying/already accepted to med school the FASFA form states that you don't need to put your parental info down.

Members don't see this ad :)
BerkeleyMD said:
Putting financial info makes you eligible for institutional aid. However, just because you are eligible that does not mean you will get it. Usually this info is to help disadvantaged students. So if you parental income is low, you should put this down as it will help you get more aid. If it is substantial (IMO >100K/yr) then don't put it down regardless.

I was going to put my parental income down, but recently decided not to. I am just waiting for my W2's to send out my FASFA.

If you are applying/already accepted to med school the FASFA form states that you don't need to put your parental info down.

I don't think just because it is greater than 100K/yr you shouldn't put it down. I think it really depends on the instituation you are looking for aid from. However, regardless of what your parents income is, I think you will still be eligible for the same loans. BerkeleyMD do you know if this is true? If your parents have a high income, and you declare it does that mean you are no longer eligible for certain government loans?

As for schools, if the tuition is 60K a year, then if your parents only earn 100K you still might qualify for some need depending on what the rest of their financials look like. At schools like Duke, where they substract your FAFSA share (based on parent income) from the tuition and then give you a scholarship for half of the remaining amount it seems like it almost always beneficial to declare your parents information. I would call NYMC and talk to someone in financial aid.

You NEED to fill out the FAFSA regardless of whether or not you are currently accepted to the school. Most schools have a deadline about when the FAFSA information is due. Check with the specific schools you are waiting to here from.

Caligirl05 said:
I don't think just because it is greater than 100K/yr you shouldn't put it down. I think it really depends on the instituation you are looking for aid from. However, regardless of what your parents income is, I think you will still be eligible for the same loans. BerkeleyMD do you know if this is true? If your parents have a high income, and you declare it does that mean you are no longer eligible for certain government loans?

As for schools, if the tuition is 60K a year, then if your parents only earn 100K you still might qualify for some need depending on what the rest of their financials look like. At schools like Duke, where they substract your FAFSA share (based on parent income) from the tuition and then give you a scholarship for half of the remaining amount it seems like it almost always beneficial to declare your parents information. I would call NYMC and talk to someone in financial aid.

You NEED to fill out the FAFSA regardless of whether or not you are currently accepted to the school. Most schools have a deadline about when the FAFSA information is due. Check with the specific schools you are waiting to here from.

Cailgirl did you ever hear from NYMC, I am wondering if they got to the November interviewees yet?

BerkeleyMD said:

do u guys know when you get ur W2a?! thanks.

I think this has been addressed before, but on the FAFSA form, it states that the parents information may be requested anyway. Please check with your individual schools. At our state school it is REQUIRED to put down your parents info if requested to be eligible for any school aid. So no matter what the parents make, the school DEMANDS to know what that is, or they will pass you over. This varies from school to school, so I don't think anyone can make a blanket statement on SDN. It is a fact that the government considers us independent no matter whether parents info is down or not.

CruiseLover said:
I think this has been addressed before, but on the FAFSA form, it states that the parents information may be requested anyway. Please check with your individual schools. At our state school it is REQUIRED to put down your parents info if requested to be eligible for any school aid. So no matter what the parents make, the school DEMANDS to know what that is, or they will pass you over. This varies from school to school, so I don't think anyone can make a blanket statement on SDN. It is a fact that the government considers us independent no matter whether parents info is down or not.

CruiseLover, this has nothing to do with anything, but do you love Cruise as in Tom Cruise? :) Or, like, cruisin'. :laugh: Just curious. I think Tom Cruise is lovely, but he's turned into a monster. But he's still lovely. If I knew he was into average-looking 26 year olds, I'd have passed him my number. :thumbup:

i was actually very lucky and was able to reschedule my interview to december. i haven't heard from them yet. has anyone from december interviews heard anything yet?

BerkeleyMD said:

i actually called nymc and they mandate all students to file their parents' tax info (look into their financial aid "frequently asked questions" on their website).

i do know that policies vary from school to school. i guess i did not make it clear on my initial post. i thought that the fafsa website would not even let me put down parental info because it could recognize that i was over 24. we will see. i should probably try doing it myself.

good luck guys.

p.s. for those of you who interviewed in late december, send me a message if you hear from them. PLEASE :)

No, I haven't heard anything from them yet. I think they let the October interviewees know in late December, so I suspect us November people will be hearing from them shortly. Or at least I hope. *fingers crossed*

parental information on the FAFSA is required of everyone applying for aid to medical school regardless of your age, you could be a 40 yo applicant and still have to report this

Wait, NYMC has financial aid? ;)

Seriously, I couldn't even consider attending there due to the outrageous cost and lack of decent scholarships/grants/financial aid.