Which would you pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cappymo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2005
Status
Georgetown or Upstate--Which would you guys pick taking money, rep, clinical training, boards, and everything else that may or may not be important into account?! I'm so torn!

PMinty44

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2005
Status
cappymo said:
Georgetown or Upstate--Which would you guys pick taking money, rep, clinical training, boards, and everything else that may or may not be important into account?! I'm so torn!
This is tough. I got into Georgetown, but had a negative experience at interview (for details, search under "georgetown" and see the thread I started...there you can also find some positive things about the school that other people posted). I know nothing about SUNY downstate. Good luck!

R

Revolution #9

Gtown is going to cost you a pretty penny. Not considering location, i'd go to upstate, considering the difference in choosing a residency is going to depend on your board scores, grades, letters, etc., and not on your choice of school. But I love DC, and because anything between NYC and Boston is pretty much no mans land, you may want to factor in location. When it comes down to it, a poll really isnt going to help you. Learn more about the schools, and don't worry one bit about the results of this poll.

OP
C

cappymo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2005
Status
Is it a bad move to turn down a name like Georgetown for a state school though?

virilep

What can Brown do for u?
15+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2004
Visit site
Status
cappymo said:
both places give you the MD but one costs more than the other. it's kinda asking you could buy a beamer or a honda. both do the job, but which one is a better value? but... you could get the girls with the beamer... ahh, i dunno

tigress

queen of the jungle
10+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The only thing I have against Upstate is the freezing cold winters. But I'd pick that over Georgetown if I were a NY resident because it's so much cheaper. I really don't buy into the whole ranking thing unless your goal is to become a major leader in medicine or something.

OP
C

cappymo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2005
Status
For anyone voting Georgetown, can I ask why specifically?

utterlyconfused

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2004
Status
Georgetown has a better reputation- this may be important when your applying to residencies, especially those that are competitive. Although money is important I think it comes second to where you would be more happy. Both are good schools so the decision is up to you

eag

10+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2005
NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It really depends on what you want. Upstate is a very good school and very inexpensive. The things I don't like is that it's in the middle of no where and it gets very cold. My friend likes it there. Her thing is that they make first year so easy and then make second year extremely hard. But they get good residencies. Her boyfriend is at Yale doing his residency in a surgical subspecialty. Georgetown, I personally didn't apply, but my brother didn't like it there when he interviewed. He got in, but it doesn't look like he will end up there. I have a friend that went there and the only good thing about it is it's reputation. From what he was telling me, it's real uptight and very competitive, but when you leave and say you went to Georgetown, you are bound to get great residencies. It's in DC, which is good, but Georgetown is secluded from actual DC. So it's ultimately up to you. You may want to go visit both schools again to help you decide. Either way, you'll be fine. I think I'd pick Upstate. I'm personally not a fan of Georgetown.

OP
C

cappymo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2005
Status
eag said:
My friend likes it there. Her thing is that they make first year so easy and then make second year extremely hard. But they get good residencies. Her boyfriend is at Yale doing his residency in a surgical subspecialty.

Did her boyfriend who is currently at Yale graduate from Upstate?

tigress

queen of the jungle
10+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I don't know how common this is, but some people from Upstate didn't match into their desired specialties this year. I really don't know how many or how this compares to other school. The match list looks pretty good, though; then again, I know next to nothing about residencies so I don't have much of a basis on which to judge.