Please help! question about volunteer hours + timing of application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orangeblossom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are my stats: 3.8 uGPA, 3.9 sGPA. I'm a career changer, so I only started volunteering at a hospital last fall. I have approx 50 hours at the hospital, and ~40 hrs shadowing.

My biggest red flag (I think) is why I left law for medicine. I know that quality > quantity, but I really want to show adcomms that I've spent a significant amount of time in a healthcare setting. I'm worried the # of hours I have so far won't be very convincing......

Members don't see this ad.

so what's your question? are you trying to apply this cycle..? have you taken the mcat? ...

you're right that's not really enough exposure, i'd wait to apply until next summer and use this year to beef up the med stuff.

also if you were doing a pre-law undergrad i assume there might not be many upper level science classes included in that sGPA. might want to consider taking a few post-bacc this year.

Last edited:
so what's your question? are you trying to apply this cycle..? have you taken the mcat? ...

you're right that's not really enough exposure, i'd wait to apply until next summer and use this year to beef up the med stuff.

also if you were doing a pre-law undergrad i assume there might not be many upper level science classes included in that sGPA. might want to consider taking a few post-bacc this year.

As of now, i'm planning to apply this cycle. Currently studying for the mcat, but that's not going very well (behind schedule etc). If I apply this cycle, I think everything will be rushed, and I won't be able to get that many more volunteer hours during the month wait for my Mcat score.

I've only taken the introductory classes. I was thinking about taking an upper-level physics class. I really don't want to take biochemistry, which seems to be the more popular thing to do for post-baccs.

Members don't see this ad :)
a lot of med schools require biochemistry, and it's a good prereq for med school even if not required. i'd reschedule the test till January maybe. you'll have more time to prepare, and time for a retake if it's needed. Upper level physics won't impress an adcom, you need to show proficiency in a life-science, i.e. genetics, biochem, physiology, something like that.

also if the thought of taking biochemistry is that unpleasant to you, are you sure you want to do med? not to say you have to LOVE biochem or anything, but it's actually pretty interesting/applicable to med, and basic knowledge every future doc will need to learn eventually

No, you're right. It's just that chem is my weakest subject right now during Mcat studying, and the thought of more chemistry seems nauseating at the moment. If i do take an upper-level, it will likely be biochem

Do you know if not having a letter of rec from a physician is very bad? I have shadowed, but Idk if the doctor I shadowed will actually sit down to write me a good, thoughtful letter

it's not a deal breaker, a lot of applicants don't have one.

Just my two cents, but I think you have enough clinical experience. Not sure how being non-trad factors into it, but you have a collective 90 hours of clinical experience and an excellent GPA. MCAT can make or break you, unfortunately, so if you're not consistently scoring 30+ on practice tests, you might want to consider applying next year and taking more time for MCAT prep. Don't take the MCAT if you're not ready. You can always retake, but that first score stays forever.

n=1, but I applied with 16 hours of shadowing and 80-90 hours of volunteering. I asked a few doctors, med students, and my advisor if that was considered to be a decent amount, and they all said it was more than enough. They want to know that you know what you're getting into and that you have experience dealing with patients and healthcare professionals. You don't need 500 hours to get that. However, ymmv, and it also depends on your other ECs.

a lot of med schools require biochemistry

Very few med schools (~10 out of 120+) require biochemistry. It can be helpful for the MCAT and gives you a basic understanding for when you take biochem in medical school, but it's not a necessity.

Do you know if not having a letter of rec from a physician is very bad? I have shadowed, but Idk if the doctor I shadowed will actually sit down to write me a good, thoughtful letter

An LOR from a physician you shadowed doesn't really add anything to your app unless you shadowed them for a considerable amount of time (like shadowing one doctor several times per week for a whole summer). If you don't think the doctor will write a strong, meaningful letter, don't ask for one. It won't hurt you.

thanks for the advice, both of you

One last question.......... is the August 4th mcat really too late for this cycle?

thanks for the advice, both of you

One last question.......... is the August 4th mcat really too late for this cycle?
Depends what you score. A high 30 will shoot you to the top of the review pile, an average score and youll be stuck in limbo for a long time and your chances of getting an interview will be reduced.

As of now, i'm planning to apply this cycle. Currently studying for the mcat, but that's not going very well (behind schedule etc). If I apply this cycle, I think everything will be rushed, and I won't be able to get that many more volunteer hours during the month wait for my Mcat score.

I've only taken the introductory classes. I was thinking about taking an upper-level physics class. I really don't want to take biochemistry, which seems to be the more popular thing to do for post-baccs.

I think that if you feel that everything will be rushed this cycle, it might be a better idea to wait a year and apply next cycle. During the extra year you can prepare your personal statement, do a thorough studying of MCAT stuff, retake the MCAT if necessary, and increase your clinical experience. Keep in mind that applying generally costs at least $2,500, so if you think you have a better chance if you wait, it is definitely worth it financially. There is no benefit in rushing the MCAT and risking getting a crappy score. Your application will only get better with time.